Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times

Advertisements

I searched and this issue hasn't been covered in a long time.

I have some friends who are about to list a home. A very nice home, in this very subdivision and similar to this home, right down to the heated in-ground pool and home size. So clearly not a shack:

1484 Kings Pointe Rd, Grand Blanc, MI 48439 - Zillow

(Note that this is NOT my friends' house.)

Problem is, they are both smokers and they smoke inside. They have lived there 15 years. Although they keep the home meticulously maintained and it has just been repainted because of the impending sale, it smells very strongly of cigarette smoke. And I say this as a former smoker who is not particularly bothered by the odor but it does hit you in the face when you walk in!

I don't think they are really aware of it and when I mentioned it might be a concern, they said their realtor hadn't said anything about the smoke smell issue. Which I find a bit odd but .

How much of an issue is it for the average buyer?
Will it diminish once they move out the window covering and furnishings and get the carpets cleaned?
If not, what steps must be taken to remove cigarette smoke odor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,320,497 times
God, I'm going to throw up just from reading that.

Paint the entire interior. Steam clean the carpets. Get the furniture out. Pledge (or whatever) every speck of wood. Replace air filters. With AC on, and then with Heater on, spray can after can of Ozium into airflow intake. Large bowls of white vinegar placed throughout the home after all this. Also large bowls of charcoal*.

*Do not light the charcoal.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Smoke and Curry are two of the hardest smells to remove. Almost impossible. They need to have everything cleaned even their furniture and vents.

They are probably better to move out and get their stuff out of the house.

Last edited by Rakin; 05-09-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,104 times
Fabrics hold it a lot. Rugs, curtains, wash all bedspreads and carpets.

Good news it that spring is here. Hopefully they can keep all the windows open daily for cross ventialtion.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Default The only way to really fix it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
*Do not light the charcoal.
Light the charcoal.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
It's a deal killer in my area.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,437 times
Most buyers I have worked with won't even walk in.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
30-40-years ago, everyone smoked and the smell wasn't that noticeable. Today, hotels will even charge people $hundreds of dollars for smoking in non-smoking rooms. Smokers don't realize how noticeable (and offensive) the odor of stale cigarette smoke is. Walk down the sidewalk outside ... and you can readily identify passing smokers. Selling a home where smokers have lived/smoked for 15-years (to non-smokers), is going to be extremely difficult.

The house will need to be emptied of all furniture and drapes; Everything: walls, woodwork and floors will need to be scrubbed-down; carpets will likely need to be shampoo'd multiple times; A/C filters will need to be replaced and ducts cleaned by professionals; the entire place will then need to be re-painted (and wallpaper replaced). After 15-years, it may even be necessary to replace carpets. The best bet will be to find buyers who are also smokers. An alternative might be to compile a detailed, priced list of the above items and prices ... and clearly demonstrate that the house is being discounted in this amount.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,918,577 times
(Many years ago) when I bought my first house it was owned by a smoker. Took a LONG time for the smell to go away. There were more smokers then and it just didn't seem to be a big deal.

Today it IS. Nonsmokers will be turned off, or at least will mark it down in their minds. Buying will mean living with the smell for quite a long time. I think this will be a harder sell than most. Especially if the target market is upscale. It will sell, eventually, but maybe at a discount.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,529 times
Can't get rid of the smell. I agree, light the charcoal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate