Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:00 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times

Advertisements

As a seller what do you do with pets when showing your house?
We have a big dog and two cats who live indoors. We live in NM and summer temps are HOT so I don't want to leave them in the car. There's no garage but there is an outbuilding (too much they could get into there). Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Most of the time, the furkids have gone to the neighbors. I've had up to 4 indoor cats.

When we sold the farm property, the dogs just hung out in the barn, the livestock stayed put and the cats and I went to my office for the duration.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Put them in a carrier and go for a nice long drive in the air conditioned vehicle (if they are good riders). Otherwise, if the out building is shaded and cooler you could still put them in a carrier and stay with them out there.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
I bought an extra large dog kennel for my cats. It was about $80 on Amazon and allows for a litter box, food and water, and a little cat condo. I put that in the garage with the lights on. Sounds like you would need two, but that would ensure your pets stay safe and give buyers (some of which might be scared of cats and dogs) the ability to look without animals underfoot.

I think it was a good investment overall. I'll probably use it for many years to come to let them enjoy some time outside when I'm there.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
We took our large dog to my parents' house every morning, like a day-care drop-off.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:39 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
I have shown homes where the owner puts the animals in the garage with the understanding that the garage may not be show-able. I have never had a customer that I am showing a house to object.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 AM

8 posts, read 13,153 times
I put them in a crate when I was unable to take them with me. I also asked the realtor to take them out of the crate once she was done showing the house and to put the litter box back where the cats can find it.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 AM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
That first week the house was on the market there was a realtor's open on Friday and two open houses for the public on the weekend. I boarded the pets for that long weekend. The house was under contract by the time I picked them up on Tuesday.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM

7 posts, read 13,756 times
its good u do ur best thinking because u love them, its good i think, they are also like a man, they cant talk but they understand everything, dog were save the bulding and cat also take care.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
We've always tried to not let buyers even know there are pets in the house. So, we've utilized doggie day care, stashed pets at the neighbors for the day when we were at work (and paid them for this), and (after I was retired), taken them for long drives in the a/c car.

We picked up the toys, litter boxes, hid the food and water dishes, etc. before we left the house. No trace of the animal occupants anywhere.

Realtors were required to give us at least one hour notice before arrival - most called the day before.

All I KNOW is this: When we are buying a house and I see that there is a pet in residence, my sense of smell immediately goes up ten notches. My eyes are more directed to carpet stains and scratches on doors. I've had friends with allergies tell me they walk right out the door before looking at the whole house. I figure - why even let them know about the pets? It's just one more thing that MAY turn off a potential buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate