Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM

64 posts, read 280,561 times

Advertisements

I moved from my house in IN due to sudden job loss and new job was in FL, I rented my house out in IN, moved all our stuff in March, the HOA sent a bill for dues that was sent out in March 2012 I never received it and quite frankly did not think about that at the time, the supposedly sent me 3 more notices that said we owed but as the treasurer told me they were all returned saying they did not have a new address. Which I did fill out a change of address form 2 times in 2012 at the PO. Now they have turned it over to a attorney and I received a certified letter yesterday. I paid the dues in full yesterday cause honestly I forgot. now they are saying I owe 600.00 in attorney fees????
Really??
Nothing I can do????
They knew I never got the bills because the treasurer told me that they had been returned so they email me useless email about stuff in the neighborhood( missing dog, etc.) but they can't email me to let me know the dues are late????

Old 05-15-2013, 03:48 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,740,319 times
I guess it depends on what your HOA bylaws say about unpaid dues and the penalties that might arise. If you had lived at the premises under the HOA and you still owned the place after you moved, didn't you think it was odd that you had not received any dues notices while you were in Florida? I'll bet you didn't lose track of those rent checks from the tenant in Indiana. And who files a change of address form at the PO twice for the same change? Something's not right here.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,854,070 times
I would say you need to put on your big boy/girl pants and suck it up. You made no effort to contact them and you knew you still owed HOA dues even if you didn't get a notice. Just like when your car registration is due, it's still due even if you didn't get your reminder in the mail.

You're lucky they didn't foreclose as many HOAs have the right to foreclose with unpaid dues.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM

166 posts, read 790,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I guess it depends on what your HOA bylaws say about unpaid dues and the penalties that might arise. If you had lived at the premises under the HOA and you still owned the place after you moved, didn't you think it was odd that you had not received any dues notices while you were in Florida? I'll bet you didn't lose track of those rent checks from the tenant in Indiana. And who files a change of address form at the PO twice for the same change? Something's not right here.
I find it interesting that after a person moves from a house they have being paying dues on the whole time they lived there all of a sudden get amnesia about bills that are owed back there. And your right I'm sure collecting the rent checks were not forgotten.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM

64 posts, read 280,561 times
Wow did not know it was gonna be like this. but just so u know I did PO forward twice 1 to a PO box then 1 after I moved into a perm. place, and ur right I did get rent checks some of the time HAD TO PAY MY MORTGAGE!! sorry everyone is sooooo rude on here!!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:17 PM

3,766 posts, read 5,882,664 times
We listed my dad's patio home before he died in the fall of '11. Still had to pay the dues up until we sold in Feb. of '12. I was not blessed by paying that $250 a month but did anyway. Kind of turned me off to HOAs.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 PM

6,500 posts, read 10,414,254 times
NLay, you could try to appeal to the HOA about waiving part of the attorney fees, but no promises that it will work. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,286,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I would say you need to put on your big boy/girl pants and suck it up. You made no effort to contact them and you knew you still owed HOA dues even if you didn't get a notice. Just like when your car registration is due, it's still due even if you didn't get your reminder in the mail.

You're lucky they didn't foreclose as many HOAs have the right to foreclose with unpaid dues.
Absolutely.

Did you think you didn't need to pay anymore for some reason? Perhaps you thought they decided not to charge you HOA dues because you moved away?

You need to pay your back dues AND the attorney costs that have already been incurred. Be proactive in paying what you owe to avoid this in the future.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,286,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLay View Post
Wow did not know it was gonna be like this. but just so u know I did PO forward twice 1 to a PO box then 1 after I moved into a perm. place, and ur right I did get rent checks some of the time HAD TO PAY MY MORTGAGE!! sorry everyone is sooooo rude on here!!
So you didn't forget to pay your mortgage, huh?

As far as rudeness, I think it's rude to fall months behind on your HOA dues when your neighbors are paying on time. The Association still had monthly bills to pay and you could have put them in a bind! They need dues from each property, since each property is incurring collective expenses whether you live there or not.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,871,401 times
These days, delinquent HOA dues, particularly in large Condos where they are much higher than in most housing developments, are a real problem. Most HOA's try to send delinquent notices and warnings before taking action, but, they are not obligated to do so. Owners, on the other hand, ARE obligated to pay their HOA dues at a specified time.

As President of an HOA, we were always trying to figure out how to 'pay the bills' because absentee owners 'kept forgetting to pay.' We finally started advising these delinquent owners of our intent to quickly place a lien on the property when HOA dues became delinquent -- plus, charge owners for related legal fees. It's amazing how quickly owners stopped 'forgetting' to pay their HOA dues (... like everyone else in the Association). Many actually started paying them in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate