Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times

Advertisements

Our MB is a stick in the mud. He screwed up big time with our file. So here we are a week from close and he is in a bind waiting on Rapid Rescore (day 4 of waiting to hear back from them on a credit score correction). We cant close in time now and have asked our sellers for an extension but they are getting antsy. Can they pull out of the deal? So pissed off at our broker right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Our MB is a stick in the mud. He screwed up big time with our file. So here we are a week from close and he is in a bind waiting on Rapid Rescore (day 4 of waiting to hear back from them on a credit score correction). We cant close in time now and have asked our sellers for an extension but they are getting antsy. Can they pull out of the deal? So pissed off at our broker right now.
If you can't close on time, the seller isn't pulling out of the deal. Does it make sense for them to allow an extension? This is where your's and the seller's agents come in play (try to get everyone's play nice) so they can be paid.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
I agree with the above. There is no backing out on the seller's part if you're defaulting the contract. That's you defaulting. The seller could extend if they want. If it's more advantageous to them, they won't extend and they'll wait for the next buyer. Many properties have back-up contracts in place. If you're having a credit issue now, the sellers might be concerned that you'll continue to have credit issues, and they might want to go more for a better qualified buyer.

A contract is a contract, and both parties are only obligated to perform to what was set forth. If either party can't perform by the contract dates, that's a default, nothing more.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM

Ahh I got it. Great...makes me even more ticked off at our broker. He waited too long to address an issue and, well, here we are, at his mercy while he tries to fix stuff with his lender last minute. He dropped the ball and we may lose the house because of him. What can we do?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
Get an amendment to the contract agreed to and signed by both parties, extending your deadline.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
He dropped the ball and we may lose the house because of him. What can we do?
You can get a new approval letter from your lender outlining the issues in the loan and this, that, and the other will happen and you're conditionally approved based on this. You can then plead with the sellers to please please please give you 1 more week (or 2 or whatever the lender needs). You can also offer up more earnest money to show you're serious, and remind them that your financing contingencies have expired and the additional earnest money would be obtained by the sellers if you still failed to perform by the new deadline.

You have to offer something up of value to show the other party you're serious. Just asking for an extension doesn't usually go over well. You have to show proof you can perform.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
If you have fees to extend an interest rate, tell the loan officer you want him to pay for that out of his commission.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 PM

686 posts, read 1,768,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You have to offer something up of value to show the other party you're serious. Just asking for an extension doesn't usually go over well. You have to show proof you can perform.
Good point.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
Good point.
Really? Even if its a week? We put down a healthy chunk of earnest money already.

We gave the seller a heads up that we might need an extension. Tomorrow is day 5 of the 3-5 window CredCo gave to fix the problem so we need to hear back from them...the question then becomes can our broker bust it out Thursday, Friday and close Monday? His underwriter is not in house so that will add time. But if we can do it without an extension to the seller that would be nice.

Otherwise our sellers have asked for a timeline of when he is going to get this done, which is completely fair. I wish our broker would be a little more honest and forthcoming about all this. He just keeps saying "tomorrow is another day" or "fingers crossed" and "we are in the ballpark". What also pisses me off is he sends me emails daily talking about how our rate is dropping due to the market. Doesnt really matter considering he hasnt got a loan for us.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Your Mortgage Broker probably has no idea since he or she is only the middle person...

Several times I had to quickly act to save deals because the financing fell through days before closing... once it was because the Lender said 4 days before closing they did not realize the home was on 6 acres and their limit is 5... how idiotic when they had the appraisal and listing for nearly a month.

In that case I pulled in a lot of favors and got a 30 day bridge loan and refied my home to pay everyone back...

Another case was a home that was inherited with deferred maintenance... there was only a single heir that lived clear across the country.... he realized the place had some problems and I put more down and he carried for 3 years and was so happily extended it to 10...

What kind of numbers are you talking about... are their back up offers ready to jump in and are they cash and non-contingent...

This is where your relationship with the seller comes in to play...

If the property is priced right... what about family, friends, in-laws, out-laws? Even a hard money lender???

My brother the broker helped a co-worker in a similar situation... he told the sellers he would personally give the buyers a bridge loan if their pending home sale was delayed... turns out it was by about a week...

All the sellers wanted to know is that the sale was going to be completed and they had a little wiggle room on the home they were buying so it all worked out...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-28-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate