Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 30,414 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I recently purchased $1m house. Before purchase, My realtor agent and I have a written agreement that agent will take 1% commission only, and rest money for closing credit. The house has initial 3% seller agent and 3% buyer agent commission distribution, however, after contract rectification and home inspection, somehow the seller and buyer agents got agreement (I don't know), the commission changed into 3.5% seller agent, 2.5% buyer agent. Until settlement, I noticed this kind of change. It means I directly lost 0.5% closing credit. It that normal? Am I cheated by realtor agents? Anything I can do?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
It all depends how the listing agreement was written with the seller. That information will not be shared with you.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:12 PM

I was informed 3% buyer commission by my agent at the beginning to see the house on site.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headthings View Post
Hi there,

I recently purchased $1m house. Before purchase, My realtor agent and I have a written agreement that agent will take 1% commission only, and rest money for closing credit. The house has initial 3% seller agent and 3% buyer agent commission distribution, however, after contract rectification and home inspection, somehow the seller and buyer agents got agreement (I don't know), the commission changed into 3.5% seller agent, 2.5% buyer agent. Until settlement, I noticed this kind of change. It means I directly lost 0.5% closing credit. It that normal? Am I cheated by realtor agents? Anything I can do?

Thanks for your suggestions.
How do you know what the commission split was supposed to be, and that it changed after you signed the contract?

If you are sure, and can prove it, then you should pursue it. First step would be to go to the agent and tell them you expect the agreement to be enforced for the full amount. If it was there when you started the process, it's your money.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 PM

I have friends who can see the list records in mrls, and record shows that the change date is after home inspection!

Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Was your agent the owner or managing broker? If not the first call should be to that person for resolution.

If your agent was - get all your facts & documentation together and see a local real estate/business law attorney.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
So ... if your Realtor got his normal 3% ($30K) commission, you would have received a 2% ($20K) closing credit and your Realtor would have received $10K. But, since the Realtors agreed to a 3.5%/2.5% split, your Realtor still gets $10K, but, you now get a $15K closing credit (?) ---

-- How do you think your Realtor really felt about getting 'leveraged' into giving-up two-thirds of his RE Commission...as a Buyer's credit? (You probably told them that you would get another Realtor to make the offer ... if they did not agree, didn't you?)

It sounds like the Realtor fulfilled his part of the bargain ... and now you are upset because 'you', not the Realtor, got caught in the middle of a 'squeeze play.' --- You don't like it much either, do you? .... even though you only lost $5K, while your Realtor still gave-up $15K.

Last edited by jghorton; 05-30-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM

If it is allowed changes after rectification, technically, the rate can be 5/1 split, and I got nothing in closing help?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
So ... if your Realtor got his normal 3% ($30K) commission, you would have received a 2% ($20K) closing credit and your Realtor would have received $10K. But, since the Realtors agreed to a 3.5%/2.5% split, your Realtor still gets $10K, but, you now get a $15K closing credit (?) ---

-- How do you think your Realtor really felt about getting 'leveraged' into giving-up two-thirds of his RE Commission...as a Buyer's credit? (You probably told them that you would get another Realtor to make the offer ... if they did not agree, didn't you?)

It sounds like the Realtor fulfilled his part of the bargain ... and now you are upset because 'you', not the Realtor, got caught in the middle of a 'squeeze play.' --- You don't like it much either, do you?
I used another agent before. Be honest, I changed due to this benefit. Am I wrong? The result seems ...

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headthings View Post
I used another agent before. Be honest, I changed due to this benefit. Am I wrong? The result seems ...
... So, you actually beat TWO Realtors out of their commission on this sale(?) ... Not sure what your business is, but, how would you feel about doing it for 'free' or for a 'third' of your normal rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate