Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 40,464 times

Advertisements

Once the buyers & I have signed contract agreeing to sale price how long until my MLS status changes from “active” to “active option contract” and how long will I need to still show the house? We finalized Friday but we have had several showings since it's picking back up with school almost being out now.

If the buyer has 3-7 days to schedule the inspection how long will it be before my realtor or I hear the status of the findings?

How quickly will the buyers have to schedule the appraisal after the inspection?

At what point in this process would it be “safe” for us to secure our apartment to rent while we are having our house built? They will be closing on 7/24 and are not going to take possession of the home until 7/26 after 6 pm so that gives us time to clean the house but we would definitely need more time to move out than 2 days. In our small town we don’t have a lot of apartment choices, so we need to move quickly but I don’t want to put the cart before the horse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
MLS > talk to your agent
Appraisal & Inspection > read your contract.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipses127 View Post
Once the buyers & I have signed contract agreeing to sale price how long until my MLS status changes from “active” to “active option contract” and how long will I need to still show the house? We finalized Friday but we have had several showings since it's picking back up with school almost being out now.

If the buyer has 3-7 days to schedule the inspection how long will it be before my realtor or I hear the status of the findings?

How quickly will the buyers have to schedule the appraisal after the inspection?

At what point in this process would it be “safe” for us to secure our apartment to rent while we are having our house built? They will be closing on 7/24 and are not going to take possession of the home until 7/26 after 6 pm so that gives us time to clean the house but we would definitely need more time to move out than 2 days. In our small town we don’t have a lot of apartment choices, so we need to move quickly but I don’t want to put the cart before the horse!
1 - You don't "have" to show to anyone at anytime. Most people normally expect the contract to go through and stop showing then.

2 - Regarding the inspection, do you expect there to be issues you are unwilling to pay for or re-negotiate the price? I'd re-think this, as future buyers will find the same problems.

3 - When is a "safe" time to rent a new place? Technically, not until you sign at closing. Anything could fall apart then. You need to have faith that it won't.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 40,464 times
Thanks for the response!
I didn't think I needed to keep showing it - they look and sound like totally solid buyers so we feel good that won't happen.

I don't think there will be anything major (knock on wood) our house is only 6 years old & we expected this to be our "forever" house - we take excellent care of it as we do love it - just outgrown it. Anything that comes up we will fix it.

I am trying to find my *faith* right now! I think I'll be much more comfortable with it once the inspection & appraisal are done. Once those come back good then we should be able to mentally relax.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Your status should have changed immediately. Some MLSs give out fines if status is not as up to date as possible, meaning usually within 2 days of the status change. To keep marketing it to buyers as Active is false advertising and gets buyer's hopes up, and is just a waste of people's time. If the status shows the Option status and a buyer still wants to see it, then they're just checking to see if it's a possibility if your buyer backs out, but at least they know it's not a current option.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM

502 posts, read 896,505 times
If you are closing on 7/24 that is the day you need to be out unless you have a "seller occupied after closing" agreement. Once the buyers close and own the house, they can move in anytime they want. If it's a week later or a month later, it's not extra time you have to clean and move.

If you were planning on using that time to move, you need to make sure you have that document. If you don't, then you need to have somewhere to go at the very, very least the day before closing. The morning of closing the buyers will want to have a walk through of the property and you need to be completely moved out and the house clean.

BTW, I would suggest you sit your agent down and ask her to outline exactly what is going to happen step by step from now until closing. You sound a little lost, and that's not your fault. Your agent needs to keep you informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate