Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,507,887 times

Advertisements

When we went to see the home we are buying they put the dog in the basement gated. Problem was he was in a spot I really wanted to look at (workbench area) and the incessant barking drove us nuts. My recommendation to anyone with a dog is to put them at a neighbors or take them with you. For cats, we saw a few homes and they mostly just hide or watch from a distance. But I will also note that most homes with cats had a "smell" to them. We are dog people so maybe that is why I could tell right away if someone had a kitty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 AM

92 posts, read 183,731 times
We have 4 dogs, 3 are small and 1 is a Golden Retriever, who must have been abused before we rescued him because he is VERY protective if someone he doesn't know is in the house. Mind you, he wouldn;t do anything to anyone, but to hear his barking and jumping, he looks like he would...

My husband showed our house himself, and held all the open houses. When someone would want to see the house, while I was at work, the dogs had nowhere to go, so were in the backyard. People would not go into the backyard.

My husband started scheduling the appointments for people to see the house at night, after I got home from work, and could take the dogs in the car with me.

During actual open houses, My son adn I would pack up the dogs and go to the dog park, and then I would park on our street in the shade and they would all go to sleep...I had put the seats down (SUV) and they had water, toys and blankets in the back.

They were fine, and our house ended up selling to someone with 3 dogs! (It is perfect for dogs in the house...HUGE backyard and no carpet, LOL

Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,645,487 times
I have known some homes where the cat or dog "got" out...of the basement or garage. Even where the pet was docile and happy in the basement and there was a sign on the basement door to "please shut door"....and the door was left ajar and the docile cat thought, hey, why not. And lots of doors left locked or unlocked, opposite of what they were supposed to be, sliding glass doors left ajar, windows a little open.

Not often, but I don't want to be the one paying the price. So when we are in town we let it be known we are close by and just need whatever notice. Half hour at the most. We do NOT have a lockbox on and we don't leave any door unlocked as we might if we didn't have the house listed. Anxious lookers even, and the occasional realtor will poke around back for an unlocked door.

We do what we can when we get home given the amount of time we have. Car rides in carriers; herding into the smallest room or a walk in closet where one of the family will sit with the pets.

We make adjustments when we're away for a few days.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Just ask for notice to remove pets. It is so common here that it isn't a big deal. Most people call the night before anyway but that way your pets are only in a garage or yard for when they have to be. A lot depends on what is customary in your area.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,685,516 times
We had two indoor cats and when a showing was scheduled we would put them on our screened in porch with a litter box and a water bowl. We put signs on the 3 doors leading to the screened porch saying Please be aware of the two cats. Thank you.

Once in a while we would come home and the cats would be wandering in the house but not an issue.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,900,074 times
I put the cats in a carrier next to the litter box and covered all of it with a blanket. I put the dogs in my car and backed down the driveway so they could see the backyard. All were by appt. And I let them in the house and then got the dogs in the car. More trouble for me but safer for the pets.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,165,902 times
Helpful posts, thank you. We'd always be home for a showing. Think I'll "hang out" in the outbuilding with the cats (probably in carriers) and the dog would enjoy the cool cement floor. I agree with removing all evidence of pets from the house (feeding bowls, litter boxes, toys). Although our house is "airy" concerned about any lingering odors.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM

710 posts, read 1,963,672 times
It's a process. The litter boxes go into this rubbermaid tote thing. The cats go in carriers and the carriers go in the car with the people, and off we go, unless the showing is scheduled during my work time (I work from home). In that case, all of the above happens except that I remain behind in my little corner of a spare room and pretty much stay at my desk, apologize to the people for having to stay behind when they stick their head in, and tell them to take as long as they need and answer any questions they might have.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,887,753 times
When you are selling a house you have to get a lot of your personal stuff put away so the potential buyer can see it as a clean slate and imagine their furniture in there. This includes pets. When we knew the realtor was showing the house we got our furry roommates boarded or put up with family for the day and we also got rid of pet beds, food, water, toys, etc so the potential buyers would not have any reason to be looking for odors and damage, real or imagined.

Don

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,699,693 times
Put them down the garbage disposal. (You'll have to forgive me -- my cat has given me a bad time today. She's a 'talker' and, in 100 degree heat here in NM, she's been wanting me to take her out for a walk.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate