Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 AM

17,725 posts, read 29,936,113 times

Advertisements

Engineered Quartz is where it's at.
Products By Color | Caesarstone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,656,236 times
There you go. That's some of the stone look I'm talking about. Beautiful site. Got ideas clicking on the color chips.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,079,346 times
I am seeing that buyers do not favor Corian. They seem to rate it as a small step above Formica. I personally like the way it looks, but it seems most buyers are fixated on stone counters - granite, Silestone, etc. And it's true - even low end buyers are lusting after it!

I also see a ton of 10-20 year old counters in my Realtor/Appraiser travels, and the Corian ones seem to have staining problems. I rarely see a 10 year old Corian countertop that does not look worn out.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,684,891 times
Personally I do not like granite, quartz or anything else that's hard. It's too easy to chip and break dishes on a surface that's hard. In the winters of the northeast, it's extremely cold.

I prefer good old Formica or laminate. It's much easier to live with and costs thousands less than granite. New Formica patterns can look just like granite or marble and the new edges are practically seamless.

These are all Formica.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:00 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,825,516 times
If I have to choose between 2 house - one with corian counter tops and one with ugly color granite, I would choose corian... I saw some horrible kitchens with granite when cabinets color didn't match granite at all. As a buyer I don't care if there is granite installed in the kitchen, it's not the factor for me.
I hate granite in bathrooms. I saw many houses with calcium stains on granite around the faucets - ***. I would rather get solid surface sinks...

Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,592,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Personally I do not like granite, quartz or anything else that's hard. It's too easy to chip and break dishes on a surface that's hard. In the winters of the northeast, it's extremely cold.
Exactly!! It's the same reason I don't want tile on my floors -- everything would just shatter. If I had my druthers, I'd put in butcher block counters, stained dark. My current kitchen is formica and it's just fine.

I had Corian in a bathroom vanity which was ok, but it always just seemed dull. I polished it with marble polish, but the shine never seemed to last.

Put in whatever you most want to see in your kitchen -- there's no telling where kitchen trends will be when you go to sell!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,684,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Exactly!! It's the same reason I don't want tile on my floors -- everything would just shatter.
Yep, I had a kitchen with tile floors. I hated it. I broke so many things on that floor over the years. The floor was also sooo cold. And don't tell me about radiant heat, there's no way I'm paying to heat my floor, using material I don't like when the best solution is to use a different material.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,959,203 times
What kind of sinks are preferred? I think that goes hand in hand with what countertop material. I must admit when we got our first house, I really wanted Corian, but after looking at houses a couple years later with it, I was so happy that I was talked out of that. Formica and Laminate has come a long way. I really turned into a klutz when we had our first house with granite. It was like my subconscious liked breaking dishes or didn't like the set. We have granite now, and it is such a pain in the bathrooms. I polish that all the time.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,621,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I posted this in the House forum but would like some comments from REAs as to the attitude of Corian counters by prospective buyers. We remodeled our kitchen, going down to the studs, moving some plumbing. We had custom hickory raised panel cabinets installed ( a very good price!) and tile backsplash, counter depth fridge, built-in look range and solid surface counters with white seamless sinks. We did this 12 years ago when granite was more expensive and I knew we didn't want formica AGAIN or tile. I had also seen some granite installations that were not prepped well and had stains. Also worried about cracks. I also thought, at the time, that our house was not that "high end". We still love the kitchen but I have wondered when we sell, is the "granite infatuation" going to be a hinderance to selling. Now, even more modest homes seem to have granite which is a change from 12 years ago. Thanks for the comments.

Corian is a substance that works well in a kitchen. It's better as a substance than Formica (name bland laminate) in a kitchen. it takes more abuse and IMO looks good.

In looks and durability it's better than out of style mid 2000s peaked granite. Granite is porous and it stains. It also cracks. It's glossy bling look seems to evoke Paladian windows, crystal chandeliers and gas fire places with green tile and faux colonial surrounds.

Hipsters are rethinking Formica and Wilsonart. Less hipster types people are thinking about soap stone.
I would not put in granite now. It's passe.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,490,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

I prefer good old Formica or laminate. It's much easier to live with and costs thousands less than granite. New Formica patterns can look just like granite or marble and the new edges are practically seamless.

These are all Formica.
I would really have to see them in person, but the edge matters a lot to me. I don't like right-angle squared off edges. They are no fun to bump into, and water just goes straight off the edge.

I prefer edges that are either rounded or have a slight rise at the edge, just like good tile does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate