Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,796,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Just had the counter company in to measure for granite to update for selling. After my conversation with him, I decided to keep the Corian.

The first problem is if I replace the Corian, what color granite? Some of it is really ugly. Suppose I spend 20 grand, and a buyer does not like the color I picked? Do buyers want any ugly granite instead of neutral solid surface? Honed absolute black granite, stainless steel or butcher block are my choices. Bet it would be hard to find a buyer who wants that.

This was the second counter guy who says granite is an overpriced PITA.

I asked about science lab counters used years ago, soapstone or slate. He tells me that they now use Corian.
He's full of crap about labs. Lots of medical does use Corian or a competitor, but labs use a black epoxy resin Kewaunee Scientific Corporation - Work Tops & Sinks (one brand, there are a few) or a chemical resistant plastic laminate called Chemsurf in areas where there is limited water or chemical liquid exposure. http://www.wilsonart.com/productlib/...e/Chemsurf.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM

24,042 posts, read 15,150,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Buy the granite countertop because you want it, not because you will make it back during re-sale. It's likely you won't. Just like $100,000 slate roof vs $6,000 asphalt roof. The house is going to sell for market value. Period. Stuff like that doesn't matter. You would be better off spreading that $20k throughout the whole house, updating outdated floors, $1000 Formica countertop, new paint, landscaping, stuff that matters.
I am being encouraged to install granite for a quicker sale. I doubt it would yield a higher price for the house due to the extent of counter space. I have +/- 30 linear ft of Corian counters plus a 10'x4' wooden island that most visitors say they love.

IMO, the real herringbone wood floors and 10 inch dental molding in entry, LR, DR halls and study are way better than granite counters.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,068,092 times
Quote:
I am being encouraged to install granite for a quicker sale. I doubt it would yield a higher price for the house due to the extent of counter space. I have +/- 30 linear ft of Corian counters plus a 10'x4' wooden island that most visitors say they love.

IMO, the real herringbone wood floors and 10 inch dental molding in entry, LR, DR halls and study are way better than granite counters.
Stay focused. Forget the moldings and the koi pond. Are the Corian counters totally clean and without stains or wear? Then leave them. Do they look used and worn out? Get rid of them and put in neutral granite. The island can just stay as it is.

Make sure the entire house is clean, uncluttered, and well lit. Paint the whole thing if it looks old and worn out. Replace any worn carpet, or dark carpet. Dark colors? Blue boy's room? Pink girl's room? Paint it! Neutral. And remember: Nobody wants to see your kids, your bowling trophies, your moose head, religious artifacts, or your trip to Egypt. Get rid of all or most of it. The house should be a blank slate for the buyers to place themselves into.

Your house is a melon in the produce section of Shop-Rite. It needs to beat the other melons out and be placed in the shopping cart. Neutral, emptyish, clean, bright melons go in the cart. Cluttered, dark, smelly, "homey" melons stay on the shelf and rot.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM

24,042 posts, read 15,150,471 times
Thanks for the help.

As of now, all bedroom closets except master are empty and newly painted. We have gotten rid of years of stuff nobody wants or needs. It is being scrubbed squeaky clean. The window washer were here yesterday. It will look like a model the day the sign goes up.

My houses usually sell the first week on the market. This one is different because the demographics of our high school has changed dramatically. We have gone from 4% low income to 70%. I can't figure out why. Rents have gone up and everything is the same. Nothing has changed. Where do these 70% low income live?

We have a wonderful house in a great subdivision. Problem is, people don't want to pay 400 thousand for a house when the kids at school so much different from themselves. The relo companies encourage their clients to make good investments.

We are hoping this rising tide will lift many boats. DH thinks with the interest going up, we may have missed our chance, and he does not want to screw around for another 6 weeks getting granite. I had the company who put it in the Corian come over and buff and polish it.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM

2,641 posts, read 7,446,225 times
Corian is fine if the color is fine and not showing wear and tear. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Price reflects condition.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,068,092 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help.

As of now, all bedroom closets except master are empty and newly painted. We have gotten rid of years of stuff nobody wants or needs. It is being scrubbed squeaky clean. The window washer were here yesterday. It will look like a model the day the sign goes up.

My houses usually sell the first week on the market. This one is different because the demographics of our high school has changed dramatically. We have gone from 4% low income to 70%. I can't figure out why. Rents have gone up and everything is the same. Nothing has changed. Where do these 70% low income live?

We have a wonderful house in a great subdivision. Problem is, people don't want to pay 400 thousand for a house when the kids at school so much different from themselves. The relo companies encourage their clients to make good investments.

We are hoping this rising tide will lift many boats. DH thinks with the interest going up, we may have missed our chance, and he does not want to screw around for another 6 weeks getting granite. I had the company who put it in the Corian come over and buff and polish it.
Excellent. It sounds like you have things under control and have worked hard to make the situation as good as it can be. I know I work much harder as an agent when my seller is engaged and motivated and does what has to be done. When the opposite is true, and the seller doesn't even keep the house clean, I lose interest also.

If you are in a subdivision, there should be closed sales. Price closely to what has recently closed. Those sales take everything about your town into consideration. And those sales are what the bank appraiser will use to estimate the market value of your home. So don't get too far from that price level, and you should sell quickly. In this market, there is no reason to be on the market for longer than about 45 days or so.

And don't worry about interest rates. As of today they are still ridiculously low historically.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,856,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
If I have to choose between 2 house - one with corian counter tops and one with ugly color granite, I would choose corian... I saw some horrible kitchens with granite when cabinets color didn't match granite at all. As a buyer I don't care if there is granite installed in the kitchen, it's not the factor for me.
I would pick whichever house I liked best and eventually rip out the counter tops I didn't like. I can live with anything that is in good shape and functional, whether I like it or not, for a couple years.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,820,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I would pick whichever house I liked best and eventually rip out the counter tops I didn't like. I can live with anything that is in good shape and functional, whether I like it or not, for a couple years.
I agree. I was talking about 2 equal houses (other than countertops)

Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,856,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I agree. I was talking about 2 equal houses (other than countertops)
There are exceptions. One of the houses I was looking at yesterday had a kitchen with dark green and blue walls and bright orange 4" tiles for a counter top and backsplash. That would go IMMEDIATELY. Before I moved in.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,353,154 times
Quote:
Just had the counter company in to measure for granite to update for selling. After my conversation with him, I decided to keep the Corian.

The first problem is if I replace the Corian, what color granite? Some of it is really ugly. Suppose I spend 20 grand, and a buyer does not like the color I picked? Do buyers want any ugly granite instead of neutral solid surface? Honed absolute black granite, stainless steel or butcher block are my choices. Bet it would be hard to find a buyer who wants that.

This was the second counter guy who says granite is an overpriced PITA.

I asked about science lab counters used years ago, soapstone or slate. He tells me that they now use Corian.

I know you're not the OP, but why do you think that granite will cost you $20 grand? it shouldn't

I had 70-80 sqft in my kitchen bought, fabricated, installed with an ogee edge, undermount sink for $4200 in 1.25" material. it was a normal midpriced granite and they did an excellent job.

There are plenty of people who like honed black granite countertops, especially on medium colored cabinets and a butcher block island... but I digress

people should put in what they want.

if you're selling, it might be woorth considering granite or some other type of stone.

lastly, if the color of the corian looks nice and updated, but there are scratches, you can get a Corian guy in for a realitvely cheap price and with a buffing machine and pads restore the finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate