Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM

9,156 posts, read 14,810,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Two different counter tops, two different style of cabinet in the same kitchen? No thanks!
Ouch! Hopefully all don't think that or this doesn't look too bad. I just finished it last week.
I did get the same exact cabinet door style just in a different color with a glaze that is close to the color of the rest of cabinets. Top is a Boos end grain cherry.

The house was built in 2006 and had a smaller island with same finishes as everything else.

Have to excuse mess in the kitchen and somewhat crappy pictures. We were getting ready for a family gathering on Fathers Day and took these on the spur of the moment.

Here is before. This all started when the oven kept having out of warranty problems with the control panel going out and the microwave lights died (oh and that model has also been known to come on in the middle of the night and start a fire). We had decided we would rather have gas burners in that time anyway.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 06-24-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,684,891 times
Having an island in butcher block or different color is common. Looks nice.

I would have recommended an oven with the dials on top vs the front. It will be an issue for anyone with kids when selling.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,020,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would not put in granite now. It's passe.
That is certainly not the case here. Buyers MUCH prefer granite to any other type of countertop. Quartz is nice and has benefits, but it lacks the character found only with natural stone. The exception is when the color is odd, like pink...

Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,356,261 times
As some have said, it depends.

In my area granite is preferred, also other stone countertops
also there are some ugly granites out there..... but some people don't have taste, or don't care.

we looked a Corian at one point, and my parents have it in their kitchen. I find in a lot of cases, I find the patterns ugly.
their counters have held up well, they're almost 15 years old and are inoffensive.

To me for your house whether you should replace at time of resale.
How expensive is your house?
Where does it fall in the market? high, mid low?
what does the competition have?

I'm having trouble picturing honestly. in my area Hickory isn't common it seems like a conflicting material to corian, I picture, rustic and natural vs plasticy

I've added granite in both kitchens we remodeled (old and new house), granted its only 5 years in the old house, and 2 in the new one, but they held up well, not stains chips etc, just a little wiping down. we also didn't get any of the higher maintance granites and have patterns to them.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 AM

24,055 posts, read 15,179,651 times
Just had the counter company in to measure for granite to update for selling. After my conversation with him, I decided to keep the Corian.

The first problem is if I replace the Corian, what color granite? Some of it is really ugly. Suppose I spend 20 grand, and a buyer does not like the color I picked? Do buyers want any ugly granite instead of neutral solid surface? Honed absolute black granite, stainless steel or butcher block are my choices. Bet it would be hard to find a buyer who wants that.

This was the second counter guy who says granite is an overpriced PITA.

I asked about science lab counters used years ago, soapstone or slate. He tells me that they now use Corian.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,176,294 times
Watching those house-flipping shows on HGTV, the flippers seem to put granite in EVERY house now. Flippers wouldn't do it if it wasn't making those places sell.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,684,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Suppose I spend 20 grand, and a buyer does not like the color I picked?
Buy the granite countertop because you want it, not because you will make it back during re-sale. It's likely you won't. Just like $100,000 slate roof vs $6,000 asphalt roof. The house is going to sell for market value. Period. Stuff like that doesn't matter. You would be better off spreading that $20k throughout the whole house, updating outdated floors, $1000 Formica countertop, new paint, landscaping, stuff that matters.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM

3,767 posts, read 5,885,356 times
What about the treatment for granite , soapstone, marble and the butcher block? Once a year? Professionally done?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 AM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
I think is a damn shame that there is so much emphasis placed on freaking kitchen counter tops.
To me in my logic, a counter top has to be the least thing that should be important in a buying a home.

way to much HGTV for people.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM

17,725 posts, read 29,936,113 times
10 of The Hottest Kitchen Counter Top Materials Currently Trending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate