Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,594 times

Advertisements

You should try to get some inside pictures. State in your listing that the house is not updated and you will offer X amount of money towards redecorating (enough for a fresh coat of paint and a little more) and put inside pictures. If you hide the inside then people will think there's more wrong with it other than not updating, i.e. mold or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
Even though you say it needs work, I think your agent should put some interior photos online so people can see what they need to deal with. If it's 2 hours out of the bigger towns, many people won't take a chance to drive there just to see what needs to be done. It would give them an idea of what the room sizes are, the basic layout, that sort of thing....Hopefully with just your brother living there, it's not too overly cluttered. Have him keep it clean - you can have an outdated home that is still clean and liveable. Also have your agent put something in the remarks that say that it's priced below assessed value - that shows buyers that they have a better chance to regain equity quickly.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
I agree with wendy and sara, inside photos would be nice and more yard photos. I would also suggest adding priced below assessed.

To me motivated seller means bring me SOMETHING/ANYTHING.

Last edited by surfingatwork; 11-08-2007 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: forgot to add my definition of motivated

Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
To me it means the seller is open to negotiating.

I looked at the listing and I can't for the life of me understand why this
Quote:
other section of roof is old.
is stated in there. Leave in the part that the one section was done in such and such but take that out. Something like that can be explained to the buyer (with an estimate of what it would cost to replace) when they get there to see the house.
Good luck with it! Looks like a very interesting house!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I like the house and I would go look at it.

Motivated seller tells me you would accept less than you are asking.

Any home that has only pics of the outside screams repo to me or they are hiding something awful.

Lets say the inside is comparable to the outside and everything checks out. I might offer you 130K and negotiate from there. I would probably buy the house at 145K. After all, it's in my best interest to see just how 'motivated' you are. And if you told me to get lost, no problem. There are 1000 other homes out there waiting for me and my money.

It's an ugly market. If you can wait several years to sell, you will do better. Perhaps you could do minimal repairs and rent it out? I'm not trying to be mean. I hope you understand how it is out there today.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Motivated seller means nothing to me anymore... Just another buzz word for I'm selling my house like "priced to sell".

Of course you're motivated, you want to sell it! Why would I put my house on the market in these times if I wasn't motivated to sell? If they're REALLY motivated they will show it by list price and how far below the comps they are.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Any home that has only pics of the outside screams repo to me or they are hiding something awful.
I agree. I usually avoid asking my agent to show me a house that does not have any interior pics on thelisting.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Motivated seller to me equates to desperate, must sell, foreclosure, etc. which in turn brings penny pinchers who may not be motivated buyers.

And I agree with the others that the listing text and photos leave a lot to be desired. Why not market the strongest selling features of the house?

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-09-2007 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
When I see "motivated seller" and a listing price that is above comps (solds from last three months), I just shake my head and smile. If the price is at or maybe just very slightly higher than the comps, then it means a little more...JMO!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
Ok my question is, as a buyer what does motivated seller mean to you. This is what is on the ad.
I was thinking of changing it to "will consider reasonable offer".
I like "will consider reasonable offer". It's fresh and straightforward. Maybe add, the value is X.

I have "motivated sellers" and I use the motivated seller line to say, the seller has indicated they will take less than asking price from the seller request. But I can't SAY the seller will take less.
I really hate that. I don't think it's straightforward.
When my sellers insist on that, I tell them everyone is motivated! Why don't you just lower your price to your bottom line? It's more productive for me the straighforward approach. Buyers don't like to guess.
You know? The seller really needs/wants to get this sold, they have lowered their price to their rock bottom as low as they can go. The price is not neogotiable... It works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate