Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times

Advertisements

After some painful discussions I was able to take away some potentially good information from this forum.

Is it possible to form an llc and purchase a primary residence under a non-recourse loan if it is a conventional loan (ie 20% down). This would be a very attractive option for me to limit my liability in a forclosure situation where I would only loose my 20% and nothing more.

That way if I lost my job I could determine if I could sell the property without writing a check and get some of my 20% back or just let the bank take it and walk away assuming it was under water more than 20%.

This seems like the most prudent way to own a home if you don't want your other personal assets being attached if crap hits the fan.

Also if that is not possible is it possible to negotiate personal non-recourse loans if it is conventional. Owning a home is not so important to me that im willing to loose everything else I have if things go south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
If you're that worried about things going south renting seems a much less complicated option especially if you're not going to get the tax benefits, etc. of primary residence status. AND you don't even have the 20% at risk. Renting is a far more sensible choice for a lot of people contrary to what the real estate industry would have us believe.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,742 times
Short answer is that no, you can not do it. Even if you put 20% down the bank wants to see a steady stream of income from the LLC...If you personally guarantee the LLC then yes you could do it, but then your assets are up for grabs again b/c you have a personal guaranteed.

It costs money for a bank to sell a house, they just want to make the loan and get the payments...contrary to so many people's beliefs banks do not want to foreclose.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Short answer is that no, you can not do it. Even if you put 20% down the bank wants to see a steady stream of income from the LLC...If you personally guarantee the LLC then yes you could do it, but then your assets are up for grabs again b/c you have a personal guaranteed.

It costs money for a bank to sell a house, they just want to make the loan and get the payments...contrary to so many people's beliefs banks do not want to foreclose.
Great advice from Mark.

I would guess if that LLC was an on going functioning LLC who was in the business of investing in rentals and had an income stream, the bank would loan them money.
But to just start one with no income or assets would be just like a person with no income, job or assets.

The lender will treat them just like they will treat you as an individual.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
If it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default YEs

[is it possible to] purchasing primary residence under an llc[?]
Yes.Pay cash.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Unless you can purchase the house for cash, you cant really buy it using an LLC. No bank will give your new LLC a loan.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,140,172 times
Most primary loans are non recourse. From a tax perspective, why would an LLC have a primary residence?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,666,155 times
Um Maybe I am missing something but if you want to purchase a home with a non-recourse loan and think that you can protect your assets by buying as an llc but with a non-recourse loan your assets are already not at risk because the banks only action is to take the home in foreclosure and they can not sue you. So problem solved you don't need the llc.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:57 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times
I have heard mixed results on banks being able to sue for deficiency judgments. I know some states are full non recourse and other states are recourse and some states are in between. I don't think the mortgage itself is by nature non-recourse otherwise we would not hear about such things as deficiency judgments.

Also could I put all my other assets that are paid for into an llc and protect myself that way or is there precedence of those assets being exposed anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate