Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM

793 posts, read 1,420,033 times

Advertisements

It's a lower priced home, for this area. Usually in the investor or first time home buyer area.
It's better than a lot of homes - It's got a new roof, dual pane windows, central HVAC - most of the houses don't. It also has a 2 car garage. Other houses in the area are usually single or carport.

It's in slightly better than above average condition. It's priced competitively against less upgraded homes.
Recently a couple homes that are smaller and less upgraded have closed for as much as I'm asking here.

The house is totally empty. The listing is well written, and the pictures are great.

Have only had a couple offers. (accepted one but fell apart because the buyer couldn't secure financing) This is in a hot market with not a ton of inventory. (Sacramento/Roseville area.) Houses are 'flying off the shelves' it seems.

The only thing I can think of - is my listing agent requires that the buy be pre-approved through his lender before he will accept an offer. Is that driving potential buyers away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default What?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
my listing agent requires that the buy[er] be pre-approved through his lender before he will accept an offer.
You signed a contract allowing this insanity?
The seller's agent does not accept offers, the seller does/does not.
This person is screwing you.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
It's a lower priced home, for this area. Usually in the investor or first time home buyer area.
It's better than a lot of homes - It's got a new roof, dual pane windows, central HVAC - most of the houses don't. It also has a 2 car garage. Other houses in the area are usually single or carport.

It's in slightly better than above average condition. It's priced competitively against less upgraded homes.
Recently a couple homes that are smaller and less upgraded have closed for as much as I'm asking here.

The house is totally empty. The listing is well written, and the pictures are great.

Have only had a couple offers. (accepted one but fell apart because the buyer couldn't secure financing) This is in a hot market with not a ton of inventory. (Sacramento/Roseville area.) Houses are 'flying off the shelves' it seems.

The only thing I can think of - is my listing agent requires that the buy be pre-approved through his lender before he will accept an offer. Is that driving potential buyers away?

You said "the only thing I can think of" .... does that mean you are surmising? or do you know for sure: If that is true then most likely it is illegal; and against the MLS rules of the Realtors Board. Get the true facts and be sure.

If it is true, withdraw the listing from that agent and hire someone reputable who has no "agenda".

Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Do you mean buyers have to be preapproved through a lender the AGENT requires , or they need to be preapproved through A lender?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
There are typically two major reasons for not selling in a reasonable market: price and location. Given that you have objectively and accurately reported that, I think you are right on target with your assessment of the special lender pre-approval requirement part of any offer process (particularly in a lower priced/income area).

While you certainly want to make sure buyer's are qualified, allowing your Realtor to add this special provision won't help YOU. If I was looking at your house, my thought would be, "Hey, there are a lot of available houses; I don't need them, they need me! ... Why should I have to 'jump through their hoops' ... just for the 'privilege' of simply making an offer?" -- Then, I would move on.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,420,033 times
They have to be approved through my agent's preferred lender. I've seen it here and there before with higher priced houses when I was buying.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll see about asking to remove this condition.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
They have to be approved through my agent's preferred lender. I've seen it here and there before with higher priced houses when I was buying.

That would be wise.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM

30,535 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:

good move.

and remember: you're the boss. They're working for you. Not saying you have to be rude or obnoxious but tell them you want it removed!

Last edited by PAhippo; 07-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Send me a DM with your address and I'll look it up. I work in your area.

The market here has cooled significantly in the last 6 weeks or so. That doesn't mean it's going down, just moving slower. We're past the point of getting in to a new home before school starts so that urgency is gone. Many buyers are on vacation or simply have not been willing to go out looking in the 105+ temperatures which are coming again in the next week.

We're expecting things to pick up again by the end of the month as everyone gets back into town and life normalizes again.

I know some agents require pre-approval from their lender. I understand that when there are multiple offers and the agent wants to make sure the accepted offer doesn't fall through due to a "pre-approval" from a lender that didn't really do their due diligence. However, it's a major pain in the a$$ to get all the paperwork to a lender for a true pre-approval and I can see buyers not wanting to repeat that effort if it's not necessary. Plus, you have been on the market a while and you don't want anything to deter potential buyers.

Good luck with the sale of your home.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,185 times
Quote:

Sounds like your agent has a kick back set up through HIS lender, and does not want to waste HIS time, just wants his commission.

Get the clause removed, immediately! Geez, you really want to work with this agent? I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate