Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,044 times

Advertisements

Good info - thanks guys! Our buyer's agent came through and stated that if there's anyone still living in the house at close, we won't be signing/closing. I think that's the best we can do. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
Default And, you are an expert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Pretty broad statement for an entire state.
on Colorado real estate.
Texas!

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM

34,116 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar84 View Post
...and stated that if there's anyone still living in the house at close we won't be signing/closing.
Really? Is that anything even close to the truth?
Will you (can you?) really just turn away at that late stage?

Quote:
I think that's the best we can do.
Well, you *could* dig deeper into what that family is actually doing.
And you certainly should know what they expect to happen and when.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,638,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Well, it's my policy not to comment on issues buyer's & seller's have in specific transactions in Colorado, because I do not want to been seen as interfering with someone else's deal.

It used to be typical to give sellers 1-3 days after closing to move & clean. Not anymore. We have a post occupancy agreement now.

When I started in 1989 it was typical to give sellers the rest of the month possession in Pueblo. Mostly due to Sellers paying on their FHA loan until the end of the month.

In a relo deal - the buyer is at the mercy of whatever the relo company wants or does not want.

It is not "typical" for the seller in a relo deal to retain possession when their job has forced a relocation.

And, I do have lots of stories about Sellers retaining possession after closing for various reasons. A widow couldn't bear to leave the family home. The seller's movers failed to show up. The title company folded before the seller's loan was paid off and proceeds never wired. When I sold my house there was no penalty for retaining possession, as written in the contract by the buyer's agent. I stayed a week.
Relo companies can be a real pain. And for all the many stories of good settlements, it just takes one to color everyone aftewards for a person.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Good info - thanks guys! Our buyer's agent came through and stated that if there's anyone still living in the house at close, we won't be signing/closing. I think that's the best we can do. Thanks again!
Verbal doesn't really hold great weight. Although it can warn one that you will be inexplicably delayed to closing or suddenly very ill.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM

Can you not make a counter offer on that?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM

166 posts, read 412,316 times
Quote:
"If its not in writing then it doesn't exist"

imo be careful about that, address closing/possession as a provision then; because a problem I can see with 'we won't sign' is that it can be seen as you are the initiating party willfully breaching and not closing, esp that the seller will be at the table, even if by proxy or signed their docs ahead of time.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,266,920 times
Quote:
That's the way it works in most places. Just let them know you'll be doing a last minute walk through when the house is vacant right before you go to closing.
Let them know If the house is not vacant it could cause you not to close. They will not want that.

Let it be known, When the loan is funded it's your house and that's when you'll want possession to start moving in.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,470,294 times
Colorado is a wet state - meaning good funds have to be present or there is no closing.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
Do most contracts have this clause? I don't remember any of mine having any kind of penalty per day for not delivering the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate