Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
we looked at Pulte built homes in a Del Webb community in March 2012. They had those desks in several of the models. We asked if it could be removed and replaced with more granite countertop and extended cabinetry as a buyer paid option. The answer was "NO."

In fact, the answer of "NO, you cannot do this small alteration, even if you are willing to pay for it" was so frequent that we bought in a different community.
That's crazy. I mean you could get any old carpenter to do the kitchen after move-in, but the business of 'no changes' is crazy. Why not just buy an existing home if you can't customise a custom build?

I think you did right, to walk away and not deal with such people.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
That's crazy. I mean you coulThe DWcommunityd get any old carpenter to do the kitchen after move-in, but the business of 'no changes' is crazy. Why not just buy an existing home if you can't customise a custom build?
Y
I think you did right, to walk away and not deal with such people.
Thanks, and we think we were right to walk away, too.

But I'll be fair and fill in some gaps. The DW community was one of VERY few in the area that is active adult. The DW community has VERY few resales to buy. And bringing in a carpenter after purchase would have meant replacing ALL of the granite on that countertop, unless you were willing to accept obvious lines. Let's not even discuss trying to get the granite slabs to match!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I hate those built-in desks, too. Haven't seen one in new construction in a while, but I do see them occasionally do one on one of those HGTV remodeling shows. (They did a really icky painted plywood one on one of the shows where they do a cheap remodel to try and sell the home, they were talking about how they thought it would attract buyers. Uh, probably not.)

I never really understood the point -- most of us probably have a freestanding desk, or prefer to have a separate home office.
I don't mind them. It gave extra counter space and provided storage for non-food items. But my dog liked it the best as it was her favorite hiding nook. She could be in the kitchen and watch what was going on without being underfoot.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
How about those funny heart shaped corner bathtubs? I never liked those. Are people still installing them?
Or the garden tubs, shorter, wider, but no deeper.

Had one in a B&B room and wondered why people ever installed them, let alone bragged about it on real estate listings.

You can't stretch your legs out, so you sit there like a frog with your knees in the air and everything from your belly button up out the water.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
I don't mind them. It gave extra counter space and provided storage for non-food items. But my dog liked it the best as it was her favorite hiding nook. She could be in the kitchen and watch what was going on without being underfoot.
Now that's a good use for it!

I think if I had one, I would install cupboard doors, or just a curtain, under it and use if for bulk food storage.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM

189 posts, read 643,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Thinking of all the times I have spilled something because my dog was "helping", this actually is a really good idea!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
Thinking of all the times I have spilled something because my dog was "helping", this actually is a really good idea!
LOL! I finally have my cat 'trained' to sit on top of the refrigerator and supervise me, rather than scampering around underfoot.

Does anyone install bread drawers in custom kitchens, anymore? I remember in the late 1980s it seemed everyone who did a kitchen reno HAD To have a bread drawer.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
LOL! I finally have my cat 'trained' to sit on top of the refrigerator and supervise me, rather than scampering around underfoot.

Does anyone install bread drawers in custom kitchens, anymore? I remember in the late 1980s it seemed everyone who did a kitchen reno HAD To have a bread drawer.
What the heck is a bread drawer??

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
What the heck is a bread drawer??
It was a kitchen drawer, lined with some sort of metal or plastic. When you opened it, you then had to open a metal door or panel to get to the bread. Basically a bread box built into a drawer.

The theory is that it keeps the bread in a more controlled environment and helps preserve a good crisp crust.

I can remember when it seemed everyone on our street was putting one in. Haven't seen one in a while, though.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I loved bread drawers. They were popular in the 50's and 60's. Our 1960 built house had one. Dad eventually took out the rusting slider.......but it was a great place to store boxes of cookies.

When I redid the kitchen for them in 1996, I replaced the bread drawer with a 30 inch wide 18 inch drawer. Dad was in 7th heaven.

Funny never used it for bread though. It was always kept in the freezer. Need toast? Just pop out a couple pieces of frozen.

I do miss exhaust fans built into the wall. They moved some serious odors out of the kitchen.

I hope never to see another shallow bathroom sink .... water splashes all over you and the counter. Every home I toured last weekend had at least one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate