Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Most realtors are morons, and poor business people. Even when you lead them to the exact property in which you have an interest, they don't seem to get it and start trying to 'sell' you something in which they care; not in which you care. It is a strange phenomenon.

I work with them two ways: You treat them like two year olds, or you just ignore them. When it comes time to pull the trigger you engage an attorney and do the paper work through them. Yes, sadly, by default, the agent ends up getting a commission, but that's life.

Get an agent to 'let you in' and look for yourself. Don't listen to a word they say--usually they have no clue. If they can't/won't show you the properties in which you are interested, find another one. I once bought a house...the first house a realtor showed me. Before i pulled the trigger, i asked the realtor to show me comparable homes. She said 'there are none'. I called another realtor, looked at a half dozen comps, and them went back and bought the first house (through the second agent). As the first agent was so dumb, i didn't have any regrets in her losing the sale, even though if she had any moxy at all, she could have made an easy sale.

Bottom line: you just have to keep pushing until you find a competent agent. The good ones can size up a situation pretty quickly, and will give you the shirt off their back as long as you are fair and up front. Looking in six markets? I don't care. My job is to make you want to buy in MY market. That's a challenge a good realtor will undertake any day of the week.

It's not you.....
If most are morons... I've been very fortunate in finding the few good ones over the last 30 years.

In no particular order...

I like to deal with the listing agent or agents that are producers and have a track record.

A number of properties I own were listed pending by the time they made it outside the office.

One of my best Realtors would call me to let me know of upcoming listings and other property I might be interested... it was great... very professional and just a heads up.

She says I still gave her a few grey hairs... she knew if I committed to a property we had a sale... never backed out or chiseled anyone once the deal was made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,586 times
I think the track record is an important point; too many don't have one. While I do think the Ziprealty web applications are best, I haven't been using their agents, although I did have a good one a few years ago. The biggest lack of professionalism has come from Long & Foster. Big website, many agents specializing in the neighborhood I am interested in, automated response systems, and then nothing. I had someone tell me that L & F are in the cubicle rental and photocopy business; now I know what they mean. I couldn't care less if they are working from home, in fact it might even be easier to get an odd hour response from them. And don't get me started on paperless transactions; I quit faxing five years ago. If they can't do it; they should go sell dial up internet or go work at a buggy whip factory.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Know excellent agents that spend little time in the office... they're too busy for that.

Most of the go-getters seem to work out of their vehicle... at least here.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM

My new neighbors were coming home after living in New Zealand for the past 5 years...

They had lived in many places around the country during their careers and decided the SF Bay Area was where they wanted to retire.

To make it happen... they stayed at one of the extended stay places for 7 weeks, bought a car and house hunting became their full time job.

They are very happy with their purchase and have really made an effort to be active... it took another several weeks for their belongings to arrive by container...

Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM

502 posts, read 896,379 times
I think you may be going about this the wrong way. I would find an agent in each city - by referral, chance or otherwise. Contact them and be honest. Tell them what you are doing and ask if they can just set you up a search with your specifications. It would take them 15 minutes - unless your needs are oddly specific - then a bit more. You can receive the listings daily for as long as it takes. If you see something you like, sleuth around yourself - check the crime stats, flood plain, etc. - whatever is important to you. Then contact the agent and ask for more information on that particular property. Maybe ask for a quick CMA to see how well it's priced and if you think you could get it for less.

Once you find something that has real potential, then handle it however you usually do. Visit the town and see it, or ask the agent to check it out, take more pictures and maybe video. I will say though, personally, if you get to that point, don't be surprised if they ask you sign a buyer's agency agreement.

Until you actually ask them to go out to a property for you, it's not taking that much time - unless you are asking them to research a property a week. Unless they are super busy already, many would be willing to invest this small amount of time.

I actually made contact with a potential buyer through a friend's facebook post. The buyer is currently in FL (I'm in NC) and will be retiring in several years. Our area in one of the areas she is considering moving to. I had no problems setting up a search for her so she can get an idea of what her budget might buy in this area and giving her some general info about the area (why I think it's a great place to live!). We'll stay in touch occasionally, and if she does decide to move here - she has my number. If she contacted me today to ask a particular question about a house or area, I'd be happy to answer it for her.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,586 times
I can do my own searches. It's when I inquire about specific properties that the trouble begins. Those searches are even set up automatically in some cases. I get emails that say "These listings match your last search." Most of the serious questions I have, they are afraid to answer. So I use readily available info. to find out on my own. And the stuff that should already be in the listing, takes them forever to find out; like HOA fees, and the tax information is rarely accurate. Square footage is often suspect, as well. Basically, it is a very detail oriented business, and I don't like to hear words like "about," "kind of," "maybe," and "tomorrow."

Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I have a really good agent, but he is busy. Really busy. I do not expect him to get right back to me. He will do the research and have my information for me in a day or two. He has an anal personality and everything must be done exactly right, which I appreciate very much in an agent. I also know that it takes time to do research correctly.

If you do research in an area, you can find the list of the top selling agents. You want to contact one of them. Those are the guys who work hard. But they aren't sitting around waiting for you to call, so expect a delay of a day or two before they get back to you.

I get regular emails with properties in my search criteria. Those emails off of the multiple listing (automatic) give me information about taxes, and usually have the HOA fees. Since it is my area, I know the neighborhoods.

No agent can give you any information about the neighborhood. That's steering and that's illegal. Most agents don't know how much rent you could get, so the best you would get would be a guess.

I'm suspecting that you want an agent to give you information that he is not qualified or not allowed to give you. If you don't want to look at property, then you are throwing darts at a dartboard with a blindfold on. You are gambling so you get what you get and don't necessarily get what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate