Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times

Advertisements

My purchase of a home has been delayed by two days past closing (so far) due to seller inaction.

As the buyer, I submitted EVERYTHING that escrow asked of me completely and promptly. The listing agent even faxed advisories to my buyer's agent for me to sign on the morning before the closing date. We signed and returned them within 30 minutes. I was all set to move-in the next afternoon. However, the escrow company said the seller had missing signatures; so escrow would not close the sale.

Day Two passed without the signatures received from the seller. The seller called the listing agent to say the signatures will arrive tomorrow morning. So, closing will be delayed by two days at minimum. Escrow will adjust the prorated taxes to reflect the new closing date.

The property is vacant, so the sellers are not trying to buy themselves more time to move-out. Probably just unorganized, very lax, very busy, or they had a family emergency. But, who knows if the signatures will even be returned tomorrow in time to close the sale on Thursday?!?!

If I, as the buyer, held-up closing then the sellers would pounce on my earnest money deposit and cancel the contract. Is there any penalty for the seller delaying the closing date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Is there any penalty for the seller delaying the closing date?
Probably not unless there's something written about delays in your contract.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
You could have asked your agent to negotiate early possession for a couple of days while you waited for the signatures to come back.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
What's in your contract?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What's in your contract?
No kidding. Thanks for that.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
When Mrs. Seller on my last house didn't show up to closing, the escrow officer and my lender went directly to their house to get them to sign. Mr. Seller couldn't get his wife to closing. When she opened the door, she took one look at the mortgage guy, who was a BIG guy, and she signed instantly, no questions.

She didn't show up because she didn't want to and she thought we would just allow the contract to default. I put too much into the house at this point, that I wasn't letting her get off that easy.

Why has no one made an effort to go to the sellers for signatures? Why does it take 4 days to get them to sign something when someone could have driven to wherever they are?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 AM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You could have asked your agent to negotiate early possession for a couple of days while you waited for the signatures to come back.
This would probably require another signature of the seller!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What's in your contract?
Do most buyers assume the sellers are flaky, and write clauses into the initial written offer to cover this scenario in advance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Why has no one made an effort to go to the sellers for signatures? Why does it take 4 days to get them to sign something when someone could have driven to wherever they are?
The listing agent has called the seller and either talked or left a message. The listing agent seemed confident the seller would come through with the signatures two days ago. The seller didn't follow-through for whatever reason (busy, ill, emergency, etc). One signature is required to be original, so it can't be faxed, scanned, or electronically signed.

One other scenario I'm envisioning is that the seller can't let go: The longer the seller doesn't sign, then that means the seller still owns the property (even though moved out a week ago).

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
If I, as the buyer, held-up closing then the sellers would pounce on my earnest money deposit and cancel the contract.
Why would you assume that?

Did you even try to find out what's going on, or are you wasting your energy whining on an internet forum?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would you assume that?

Did you even try to find out what's going on, or are you wasting your energy whining on an internet forum?
Tough crowd.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Seller could be at work during business hours. You wouldn't just march in there would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate