Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 3,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You should have the realtor look over how your aunt listed your property in the area mls. Is it listed in the next town over by mistake? Did she take more than one picture? Does it say fewer bedrooms and one bath or something? Is it a single family residential somehow listed in commercial or multi family? Is it in mls at all so that anyone but your aunt and people driving by know about it? I've seen all these.

Of course, one would wonder why people driving by your home didn't ask their realtors about it. But maybe they did and decided they needed more than one bathroom.

How successful is your aunt with her other listings?

At some point you might want to consider the saying that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of ......
This realtor did mention that she didn't feel like it was marketed as well as it should have (pictures weren't wonderful, didn't bring attention to what the best selling features of the house were). It was listed correctly in the mls. We barely had anyone looking at it. The thing is, my aunt is successful with her other listings, in the larger cities (we live in a very rural area). Two people who looked at it said it was too far from _______________ city. Well, duh. You can tell that by driving by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo12 View Post
I have a very difficult situation that I don't know how to deal with. When my husband and I first tried to sell our house, we used my aunt as our real estate agent (big mistake). We were not able to sell our house and we took it off the market. We did this a total of 4 times with her, gave her 4 chances to do so. My husband and I decided to get another realtor in to see what they thought (we brought someone in who knew the area and who was local to the area). She was astounded that the house did not sell. I liked her, liked everything about her. Now what?? Do I list with her and ruin my relationship with my aunt? Do I give my aunt a 5th chance? If I decide to go with the other realtor, what do I say??
Sorry, your aunt sucks as a realtor, and you want to sell your house. It's not personal, it's business.

If I weren't able to see your house, or fix something you hired me to do, or whatever, I would recommend you find someone else. That's what a normal person does, anyway, family or not.

Just hire the new realtor, and tell your aunt you found a great gal who really knows the area and you feel really good about it.

If she pottymouths you, then frankly, I'd write her off. The last thing I need in my life is somebody who wanted to use me for money (because that's all it was).

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Promises, especially in the real estate industry, are not even worth the air which is necessary to expound them.

You Aunt might not be the right agent for your property ( I suspect, without knowing the details, that part of the problem is that she is miles--perhaps hundreds-- from your community, and your house) and given that the house has not sold, it is pretty easy for the next realtor to come along and tell you that the pictures are poor, the listing isn't worded well, and that she will 'market' it better. Realtors love to use that 'market' word, but in realty, they all do the same things: Listing with pictures, fancy brochure or a single sheet with stats, social media ads, newspaper ads, Open House, MLS, etc. I have not seen an original idea in real estate marketing in years...decades.

So, make the switch. Be honest with the Aunt. If it sells, be humble. If it doesn't sell, she will give you the 'I told you so' spiel. Either way, keep it business.

Sounds to me like the whole process needs to be more robust if you really wish to sell--not just list, but get it sold by, say, December 231, 2013.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
You should be pissed at your aunt not the other way around. She should have told you from the beginning that she does not sell in your area and that you would have a better chance using a local agent. She could have referred you to someone and received a 25% referral fee. Instead she wanted to try and get the entire commission even though she would be listing in an area she did not normally sell in and probably had no real business doing so.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:01 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
You should be pissed at your aunt not the other way around. She should have told you from the beginning that she does not sell in your area and that you would have a better chance using a local agent. She could have referred you to someone and received a 25% referral fee. Instead she wanted to try and get the entire commission even though she would be listing in an area she did not normally sell in and probably had no real business doing so.
Exactly. She was scamming him for money.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Whatever happened to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo12 View Post
too far from _______________ city.
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...tion-when.html

Old 09-18-2013, 09:10 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
5 years and you haven't sold this property? Even if you had the worst realtor in the world, they are simply the listing realtor. Tons of other realtors in your area are trying to sell your house. You see, realtors make a commission on the sale if its their listing or not.

The problem seems no one wants to buy your house for the price you have it listed at. If your house doesn't sell in 5 years, you need to make some decisions and none of these decisions can be made by the realtor, they need to be made by you. Price drops, fix things, declutter and new photos, etc.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM

97 posts, read 101,948 times
Dude have you or your aunt ever heard the phrase, "Fifth time's a charm"? Exactly.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
There's that definition of insanity. . .

We went through this. We did not find the right realtor for our property until the third try. I told the first realtor who is a friend, that we simply had to sell and I was listing with another company. She is still a friend.

Handle this the best you can. But interview at least three realtors before choosing, OK?

You want an experienced realtor with a proven track record. Look for someone who has his or her own website and is building his or her own business. These guys are self starters. Make sure you get a marketing plan, and look at comps. Ask each candidates the same questions. You want some way to know how many hits your listing gets. You want feedback from showings. You want someone who knows other realtors and can communicate well. When you email your realtor, you want a reply within a day. This can be an intense short term business relationship. Choose well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate