Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that these threads (an this one specifically) generally degenerate into how to keep ones own arse out of a legal crack (as the advice giver) like the one in the floor (that may or may not be there) instead of concentrating on helping the audience and questioner in general. This is not a new question to the RE world and I'm sure many that are reading this have run into it or will at some point.

If I were in the postition the OP is I most likely wouldn't worry about what I have to do considering current market conditions, I would probably hire an inspector who knows what he's doing and get it inspected and cleared. Even if you lose this buyer it will most likely come up again.
The other thought I had was to do what my car dealer does with warranty work.
Suggest to the buyers a compromise, you'll have it inspected and if the inspector finds something actionable you'll take care of the bill, if not they do. This will let you know two things, first how serious they take the crack and second, are they willing to put their money where their inspectors mouth is.
Just 2 cents from someone who's not worried about ending up in a "crack".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 AM

9 posts, read 32,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
Okay, I will try to answer some questions.

When we bought this house, the crack was there. It's an 8 year old house, and the foundation is guaranteed through 10 years on the builder warranty.

The crack has not gotten larger. Our inspector in 2003 measured it at less than an 1/8 of an inch wide, and it's STILL less than an 1/8 of an inch wide, but it's gotten a little longer.

The "height difference" the inspector noted isn't really apparent to us, and not something that I could measure with a level and ruler (we tried, it appeared, what I would call, "negligible").

Finally, as the buyer is contending (for now -- we've not heard back yet) that the inspector's recommendation is to get an engineer (one which our inspector said would only be needed if the crack widened from 1/8" to more than 1/4") I don't feel I should, and have made it clear I won't, hire an engineer. I am more than confident that their inspector has made more of the issue than there really is.

Does any of this make the situation less ambiguous for you guys?
Since the buyer knows about it I doubt patching it will close the deal. Slabs settle for a variety of reasons. But water or lack of it in the soil surrounding the foundation is a major reason. Gutters run off or drainage on your lot can contribute to the problem. Do you have a foundation that goes down below the frost line? One large builder does not use foundations but uses reinforced higher strength concrete. I would not recommend. Even NC can get to cold and cause a slab to move and crack.

The properly repair the slab can be expensive. Your best course of action is hire a company foundation company to give you a report and cost estimate to repair. There is a good one in Charlotte but I am not sure if I can use their name here.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
Hi. I am doing an FSBO, and got the following back from the buyer agent on the Home Inspection:

"There are cracks in the garage floor which are open and the slab has settled unevenly. The cracks extend from the front of the garage, to the right exterior wall and into the kitchen at the refrigerator and towards stove. There is a noticeable difference in height between the two areas indicating abnormal settling. I recommend further investigation by a professional engineer to
determine the causes of the problem and to recommend repairs if needed."

(We're on a slab).

When we bought this place, the cracks were there, and no engineer was needed.

If the buyer feels it needs to be investigated further, are THEY paying for that? I am not (as part of the "we ask that you repair" list) obligated to foot the bill for a "maybe", am I?

Thanks!
Lots of well meaning people are throwing out lots of thoughts (some good others maybe not so good) about foundations, about concrete, about dead deals, about self sealing caulk & leveling concrete. All nice, but at the moment, irellevent.
The buyer had an inspection. Their inspector noted a crack in the concrete. Did they ask you to hire an engineer? Did they say they don't want the house? Have they requested you fill the crack? Are they ignoring it becaus it's not important to them?
What do they want? Once you know that, then you can decide how you want to proceed. If you don't know yet, find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate