Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:29 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

A person claiming to be a real estate agent mailed an angry and unsigned letter to an older couple in Ocean City, New Jersey, because they choose to park their car on their own front lawn.

The handwritten letter, reminiscent of an adolescent high school screed, reads:

"I'm trying to sell million dollar homes in the neighborhood. I drive my clients around and they see your car parked side ways on the front lawn! You have a driveway — use it!"

Real estate agent mails angry letter to older couple who park on their own lawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
Most cities have an ordinance against cars being parked on lawns.

The older couple get no sympathy from me.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 AM

400 posts, read 793,862 times
Still, not very professional of the "agent" to do.

If Ocean City does not have that ordinance (I haven't researched them, so I don't know), then they did nothing wrong. They pay good taxes for that land. Let them park there.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Parking on the lawn while washing it is a great way to conserve water. Parking it there permanently is a good way to get under body rust from the moisture evaporation. Still, I have no problem with people parking there car wherever they want to on their own property. Not everyone can fit 3-4 cars in the driveway. We have an ordinance that prevents any car from being parked in the same place on the street for more than 72 hours, though it's not enforced. Another prevents parking an inoperable car from being parked on the street or in the driveway (must be out of sight) but nothing to prevent parking on the lawn. If I were the old couple I'd consider buying a beater and having a crane lift it onto the roof just for spite.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Thanks for driving!

Quote:
Bill Doughten explained why he sometimes parks his Chevy sedan on his lawn. "I got a bad leg, I shake, and I'm an old man," he told CBSPhilly.com.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
"I don’t know of any million-dollar homes in this neighborhood."

Seriously doubt that an agent sent this email. It most likely was sent by a cowardly neighbor who doesn't like the car on the lawn. An agent, if the alleged scenario was true, would simply find another way to drive clients to the upscale area. If this was the only way there, I think the guy would know about it. I call BS!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Ocean City NJ has some really strict and crazy ordinance. I doubt they allow parking on lawn. In front of a house, probably yes if it was converted to paved surface. I've seen boats parked outside.

I can't say the owner is in the right (I know I would have a problem with it if I was a neighbor). There are solutions to what the owner is going through. Simply parking your vehicle across your front yard is not it (especially in a tourist area). Imagine if one of the beach goer decides to park their car in someone's front lawn cause they see that in front of one of the house.

Now the person who wrote the note. There is a better way to word it. No problem with mailing the owner the letter (whether it's other neighbor or Realtor). Just the way it was written.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
Could be a fake written for attention.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Most cities have an ordinance against cars being parked on lawns.

The older couple get no sympathy from me.
And Ocean City has such an ordinance:

Parking of motor vehicles on landscaped areas, on grass, or against trees and shrubbery is prohibited. Parking of vehicles on landscaped/grass areas is permitted during special events.

So I agree with you on this one. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
The note was probably written by "I'mRetiredNow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate