Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

The light bulb thing fascinates me. During my move I couldn't for the life of me envision taking the time to unscrew (sometimes using a ladder) and somehow pack a few dozen light bulbs for safe transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I guess if someone has spent a lot of money on long-life CFL bulbs, they are entitled to take them with them. Those things are not cheap. But they should switch them out before the house goes on the market, as it really does look petty to remove bulbs. In fact, I switched some of my CFL bulbs out anyway, because I thought the lighting in the room looked better with incandescent.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
In fact, I switched some of my CFL bulbs out anyway, because I thought the lighting in the room looked better with incandescent.
I'm moving toward LED as my CFL bulbs burn out. I really like the LED lighting quality.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Lol CFLs aren't that expensive. Now LED yeah but hell I just tack on some for the extras. JC it's not like they are that expensive. The pettiness of some people is astonishing

Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
When I listed my first home to sell, the realtor said that I must remove any blinds, fans, cabinet pulls, fixtures etc before the open house if I wanted to keep them. She said there is a section on the purchase agreement what's included but rather be upfront about it. I thought that was refreshing.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I am planning when I do sell my house to sell it as a tear down and I plan to take many things out of it before I list it. I have not looked into it yet as to whether I need to put back in say kitchen and bath cabinets, appliances etc, since I am listing it as a tear down, though someone could also gut the house and use it as Part of a bigger home they might want to build.

But since I am removing things before I list it I assume that is not unethical or wrong.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
CFLs cost $1 here, and a lot of people are getting rid of them. I have no more CFLs in my house.

If it lights up, i think you are good to go.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Interesting, I had wondered about something similar when I started switching to LED bulbs. We used to have one fixture with 12 bulbs in it (that we since took down when we closed in our two story foyer) Even with 60 watt bulbs in there, it could put out some heat. And going to relatively cheap at the time LEDs would be well over $100. Good quality double that. In lots of houses, the bulbs could be worth more than the fixture they are in. I would never take bulbs with me anyway, but I could see it becoming an issue in some situations.

I too am pretty much eliminating CFLs from my home. We have a few decorative fixtures that pretty much look like crap with anything other than an old school clear incandescent (see picture below), but otherwise, we had transitioned all our bulbs to CFL as the original bulbs from the builder died (house is 7 years old and some lasted 5 plus years, 130 volt bulbs for the win!). Now I am transitioning to LED. Some as the CFLs die and others just because the LED light quality is so much better. Nice color (assuming you are staying with around 3000-3500k LED) and it is so nice to flip a switch and have a decent amount of light again! No waiting for them to warm up.

As far as removing lever handle faucets and going to a "crystal" ball single lever, to me that is a huge downgrade as those things are way out of style.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 11-19-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 PM

257 posts, read 489,695 times
I would love you get your opinion on this one. When we bought a house years back, the seller removed the wood burning fireplace door and screen. She wanted to sell it to us outside of the house deal for $125. When we commented that since it was attached with set screws to the sides of the firebox, it was part of the real estate, our agent told us it was a "gray area". We refused to buy it and the seller removed it and took it with her. The funny part was her new home did not have a fireplace!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Yeah, a screen like that really is a gray area as to whether it's a fixture or furniture, but IMO if the seller didn't want to sell it, she should have removed it before listing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate