Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM

129 posts, read 516,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, we are currently renting but would like to purchase. Our agent wants us to see a home tomorrow, it sounds nice, and the pictures are nice.

It is all concrete floors! The whole house, including bedrooms. I think the current owners have dogs, or some sort of pets, I think I see some pet doors. Well, we always wanted a dog.....wonder if they will leave the dog?

Seriously, what are some pros/cons to concrete floors? they are stained, sort of brown, in the photos it looks like carpet. It reminds me of the flooring in a vets office. Its also down a dirt road, that doesn't particularly appeal to me, I have to see how far it is from a main road.

I suppose the concrete floors are the way to go if one has pets. We currently have 4 cats, and, perhaps would like to add a dog. Also, might be good for our "golden years" if one of us becomes in need af Attends!

Ok, so, pros/cons of concrete floors? Can they be covered with another type of flooring such as carpet, tile, vinyl, or are we forever comitted to the concrete?
Awesome!

Don't slip and fall and you will be just fine, area rugs for the big rooms, cans of cheap oil paint when it is time for a redo. Flooring is grossly overrated, sounds like a cool modern looking place! Carpet is gross after a year and is meant to make your grandmother happy (it's just so warm, take your shoes off, no that's not a pee stain from Mr.Wuggles cindy, it's just spilled water) and tile/linoleum is outdated in 2. Go for it, when I eventually buy or build it will have concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Stained concrete can be stunning:

TYWKIWDBI ("Tai-Wiki-Widbee"): This floor is stained concrete !

Basically, though, concrete is the foundation for most flooring -- carpet, hardwood, etc. Do whatever you like.

We stained the concrete in our basement instead of installing carpeting or tile. It looks amazing, and is very, very easy to care for.
That is shockingly beautiful, and the low maintenance is equally surprising. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Oh dblackga that is nice! Sure wish I had known about this years ago!

Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
I grew up in a ranch house which was built on a concrete slab due to a high water table. On the plus side, we never had a wet basement; we never had creaky floors; we could do jumping jacks or jumping rope exercises without worrying about the floor bouncing; and the floor was very durable and relatively easy to clean. On the down side, it was tough on the kids when they fell when running around.

My Dad built our house and, after a few years, he covered the concrete floor with vinyl tiles. He eventually covered it with carpeting to soften my little sister's falls.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:38 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Concrete can make a home cooler. A lot of concrete can contain sound. Too much, like in walls and ceilings as well as floors can make it so a person in a nearby room cannot hear the other person speak.

A neighbor who had concrete floors had them carpeted at first and then decided on wood. The concrete needed to be jackhammered in order to attach subfloor. After that very loud process the floors all looked beautiful. And the cat never came downstairs again.

Why would the sellers leave their dog?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 AM

95 posts, read 169,964 times
Concrete is like the new trend in new contemporary urban homes. You'll be ahead of the curve!

Then, if styles and trends change, you can add another flooring later

Personally, I like stained concrete flooring. Low maintenance, but also looks nice and simple.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:19 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
PS People with joint issues will find it very tough after a while, even with good cushy athletic shoes.

Anywhere you envision floor time, yoga, play time, you can always put down a large area rug with a good pad.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
I lived in a house with concrete floors. Also was located on a dirt road. This was my experience:

The floors were nice and cool in the summertime. VERY cold in the winter. I also had a problem with condensation on the floors to the point where some days I had to take towels and wipe up water from the floors. It didn't happen often, but often enough that it was unpleasant.

Dirt roads are a pain. They are rough on your vehicles (I had a car) and traffic going by stirs up a LOT of dust. It would come billowing in the house when my windows were open when cars and trucks would zoom down the road. During heavy rains, there would be areas of mud. When trucks went through the mud they would leave deep ruts that were a hazard once dry. I love the country, but would never live on a dirt road again.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, we are currently renting but would like to purchase. Our agent wants us to see a home tomorrow, it sounds nice, and the pictures are nice.

It is all concrete floors! The whole house, including bedrooms. I think the current owners have dogs, or some sort of pets, I think I see some pet doors. Well, we always wanted a dog.....wonder if they will leave the dog?

Seriously, what are some pros/cons to concrete floors? they are stained, sort of brown, in the photos it looks like carpet. It reminds me of the flooring in a vets office. Its also down a dirt road, that doesn't particularly appeal to me, I have to see how far it is from a main road.

I suppose the concrete floors are the way to go if one has pets. We currently have 4 cats, and, perhaps would like to add a dog. Also, might be good for our "golden years" if one of us becomes in need af Attends!

Ok, so, pros/cons of concrete floors? Can they be covered with another type of flooring such as carpet, tile, vinyl, or are we forever comitted to the concrete?
I LOVE THEM.

They were all over the high end high rises I worked in as a dog walker.

Polished concrete, very nice. Not like your driveway hahaha.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Stained concrete is very trendy in urban loft condos. They're even doing countertops in concrete for a modernist clean look. It's still unusual in a house, though, and might look weird if your decor wasn't sleek & modern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate