Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times

Advertisements

We have been in our home ten years and there is a new phase of homes being built in our development which are larger for our growing family.

The developer mentioned to use that they just started using a program called MarketPlace Homes, which will act as your seller agent with only a 1% commission. They also will lease your home if the home doesn't sell by the time your NEW home is built for up to six years - guaranteed.

So there has to be a catch right? I assume that they may force me to sell at a much lower price than what I would want to.

Also, I have a VA loan tied up in the current house. I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to finance the new house until the current VA loan is released (either sell, assume by a vet or I think it's possible to use the home as a property investment, but those details are little fuzzy).

I would like to here some realtor opinions and any sellers that have used the program. Thanks!

New Construction Homes: Rent Old Home, Buy New One | Marketplace Homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
For their program to work, you cannot obtain your own representation to purchase the new home. If you want someone representing you and your best interests, you won't be able to use this program.

They are able to only charge you 1% for the sale because they will receive the 3%, or whatever your market is doing, for the remainder of the fee. They aren't doing anything for free. Also, don't forget you need to pay the buyers' agent as well, so add that on top of the 1%. Many people don't understand that.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
As far as I know, you can only purchase a home with a VA loan if it is your primary residence. That said, you are allowed to purchase a property with up to 4 units BUT you have to live in one as your primary residence. So, investment in a sense.

About assumable...the saying is there always has to be a veteran on the hook. So a veteran would have to be on the VA loan. But why would someone assume a loan? They'd still have to qualify for that VA loan.

As far as this company do a search using your preferred search engine. Enlightening.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
As far as I know, you can only purchase a home with a VA loan if it is your primary residence. That said, you are allowed to purchase a property with up to 4 units BUT you have to live in one as your primary residence. So, investment in a sense.

About assumable...the saying is there always has to be a veteran on the hook. So a veteran would have to be on the VA loan. But why would someone assume a loan? They'd still have to qualify for that VA loan.

As far as this company do a search using your preferred search engine. Enlightening.
Thanks for the advice. As the old saying, "if it's too good to be true then it probably was".

Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I don't know anything about them, so I don't know if this is what they are doing.

There are some investors out there that specialize in getting control over a property for very little investment and then selling it on a lease option, with very little concern about who they lease it to. They get the nice fat option fee and if the buyer doesn't make the payments or trashes the house, it is no skin off their nose.

If there is a foreclosure on the "buyers" who don't make their payments, it will be on the property's actual owner, which would be you.

I'm just suggesting that you be cautious about someone who wants to take control over your property for six years which includes the right to sell it.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 AM

I just thought I would update my experience with MarketPlace Homes (MPH) after a year.

So as a refresher, for a home buyer who is having trouble selling their home when wanting to buy a new construction home, MPH acts as your buyer agent and works with the builder. They will guarantee lease payments on your current home for up to 70 months. They will also act as your lease manager working to bring in a tenet (background checks, payments, etc...). If the house is not leased, you will still receive the lease payment as well as MPH taking care of the yard, snow removal and utilities as the house sits empty. Lease is year to year with an option for the lessee to purchase your house or for the owner to cancel after each year.

Last year the housing market for existing homes in my area was soft. So I approached MPH. Everything worked smoothly with my builder. It worked out well since my new home was close to my old home, so when I moved it, there wasn't a big rush. MPH sent me a sign and a key lock to put on the door. Potential lessee's look at the home while on the phone with a MPH agent. I had several lease offers even before I had completely moved out! I did have to pay the first two months house payment, then on the third month I started receiving the actual rent payment. After the first year, MPH will keep $100 a month. But they also raised the rent for the second year $50, so my net difference is now $50.

The current lessee's are an older professional couple who just renewed the lease for a second year. They take very good care of the house. I'm making a nice income off the extra lease payment over my house payment, which more than covers the difference in price for my new mortgage.

So now I have the option of staying with MPH until 2020 then I can sell the house or keep leasing on my own or with MPH but the guarantee ends.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, I highly recommend MarketPlace Homes.

Marketplace Homes

Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
I may have missed something, but it looks like you own two houses and are renting one out, correct?

It also appears the Marketplacehomes are simply acting as a property manager, is that right?

Are you still responsible for 2 mortgages?

Are you still responsible for upkeep and repairs?

Why would you pay them 1% if they haven't sold your house?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
They were hired not to sell the house, but to obtain a renter and guarantee the rent payment so the OP would qualify for their new loan. The brokerage also collected the buyer's agent fee, when the OP bought their new home.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
They were hired not to sell the house, but to obtain a renter and guarantee the rent payment so the OP would qualify for their new loan. The brokerage also collected the buyer's agent fee, when the OP bought their new home.
Ah, thanks 2bindenver.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Perfect summary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate