Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,155 times

Advertisements

If an owner receives a judgment for failure to pay hoa dues and is renting his unit under sect 8 can the hoa levy his rent? if so what part of fair housing handles this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Laws vary state to state. Here is an example of of one state's laws:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/money/real-estate/judge-says-section-8-funds-should-pay-off-1681096.html?printArticle=y

By the way, this thread is going on 5 years old.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Working into the rent payment (higher rent) is a great idea...

BUT to put it into clause...

Like someone else said...
Its *your* house & asset that will be affected "if" you don't pay the HOA fee.
It is "compulsory" & must be paid (no excuses) by the homeowner or that homeowner suffers MOST = fact!.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
I'm a renter and I do not pay the fee, my landlord does. I do pay quarterly water and sewer, though.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Rent typically funds the mortgage, property taxes and where applicable, the HOA fees. Renters are obligated to pay their rent per the lease with the landlord. The owner, not the renter, is legally responsible for paying his mortgage, property taxes and HOA fee, where applicable.

Utilities are a variable. Usually the renter pays for electric. Gas, water /sewer may or may not be included. Same with cable/Wifi.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default You are quite wrong to feel insulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I think my HOA's rules are reasonable for the most part, though it is insulting that they feel they must TELL me not to blast my stereo, not to dump garbage, not to use my garage as an auto repair shop, etc.
You obviously haven't thought this through - your objection to having "obvious" rules about (for example) not leaving garbage lying around is idiotic. Consider: If there were not written rules, even about "obvious" things, then there would be no basis on which to enforce those things. And don't tell me no one would blast their stereo late at night (or other such things) if there weren't written, enforceable rules. If you believe that, you are incredibly naive. You may have consideration for your neighbors (and if you do, it is much to your credit), but not everyone does. I speak from personal experience, not just from a theoretical stance. The HOA cannot enforce an unwritten rule. You benefit from having the written rules, whether you realize it or not.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,049 times
I am leasing a condo in a retirement community, and pay the HOA fee increase every year, including my rent. In my lease, the owner included the following : # 42. Other terms and Conditions: Supplements. "Rent will increase each January in like amount of any HOA dues increase. Also, Tenant will pay the HOA Unit Lease Permit Extension on each anniversary date of the lease." My questions are: 1. Should I, as the Tenant, pay the HOA fee increase every year when I am not the owner?" 2. Since we are governed by a non-profit board, why isn't this increase the owner's responsibility." Shouldn't I be provided with the rules and regulations of the HOA to see what my rights are, and what I am responsible for in this situation? Doesn't every Board have covenants?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I would assume you are responsible for whatever it says you are in the lease you signed. When I rented the HOA fees were paid by the owner, though they may have been included in the rent he charged us but not specifically.
However there was nothing in the lease about us paying it and we didn't.
The lease contract normally controls.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Your contract dictates your responsibilities. I don't believe it is typical to have the renter responsible for the HOA fees in most cases. I would not want to be on the hook for that plus your terms don't say anything about special assessments.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
When I rented a townhouse, I did not pay the HOA fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate