Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,327 times

Advertisements

I was debating with a friend of mine about buying a house with all cash or with mortgage

And he said apart from savings from not paying interest and closing costs, I will also be paying less for home insurance if I own the house with no mortgage.

Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
If you use a lender, they will require a specified amount of insurance. The bank will require you to prepay your insurance in your monthly mortgage payment. This is perfectly normal. I don't think that you would pay any more for insurance than if you paid cash.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The lender will require that you are covered for at least the amount of the mortgage, while a cash sale means you can do without insurance if you like, or you can insure for less than it would take to rebuild, so in that sense yes. On the other hand, it would not be a smart move because in case of a disaster you wouldn't be able to restore it to the same as it was without additional out-of-pocket. Most people insure for replacement cost, and increase it as materials/construction costs go up with inflation. We review every two years.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
The insurance rates are the same. However, if you own outright you can choose to have a very high deductible - higher than what the mortgage company would allow if you had a mortgage. So the savings would be due to the higher deductible.

Also you can choose to forego insurance completely, which is a savings as long as you don't need to file a claim. However, if a tornado comes through and wipes out the home and you don't have insurance, then it really wasn't a savings after all. But if you don't have a mortgage, it's a risk that you can choose to take. If you have a mortgage, you must have insurance per the lender's rules.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I was debating with a friend of mine about buying a house with all cash or with mortgage

And he said apart from savings from not paying interest and closing costs, I will also be paying less for home insurance if I own the house with no mortgage.

Is this correct?
Ask your friend to elaborate on how you will pay less for home insurance if you have a house with versus without mortgage. Your friend may end up getting an education on how insurance work as well. Can't determine whether he is correct or not without know his/her logic.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
They are probably referring to PMI insurance, otherwise referred to as 'mortgage insurance.'

Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post

Is this correct?
No, your friend is incorrect. As others have said, lenders require a minimum amount of insurance, but if you own the house outright, you can insure it for any value you would like (say zero, in which case you have no insurance). However, for the same amount of insurance, your equity is not relevant.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I concur with all of the other posts.

Furthermore, I paid off my house a couple years back and there was NO change to my insurance.

If that doesn't convince your friend then point out how at no time are you ever asked about the size of your mortgage or if it's paid off....by the insurance company which tells you that it is not a rating variable.

There are so many "old wives tales" and outright disinformation surrounding insurance out there it's kinda scary.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:41 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
After retiring and relocating, I bought my house for cash.

I doubt it is any cheaper than my neighbor with a similar house who has a mortgage.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
If you use a lender, they will require a specified amount of insurance. The bank will require you to prepay your insurance in your monthly mortgage payment. This is perfectly normal. I don't think that you would pay any more for insurance than if you paid cash.
I didn't have to pay my insurance with my mortgage payment. The insurance carrier had the name of the mortgage company as lienholder on the policy and if I defaulted, they would notify the mortgage company. If that occurred, the entire amount of the mortgage would become due unless I could prove that I had replaced the policy with one with like terms.

After I paid off my mortgage, it seemed that my insurance increased every year. I finally told that company "AMF" and took out a policy with a different company at about a third of the cost - coverages all identical and in one case, increased.

It pays to shop around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate