Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember me from this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-pictures.html

Well, you were all very helpful and I took your advice. We gave the tenant notice and now he is gone. However, based on the Prop Mgmt company inspection, it sounds like we will need new carpet and paint and some repairs.

We live about 2000 miles away now. I wonder if y'all think it would be worthwhile for me or me and my husband to fly out and look at the house ourselves. Should I just trust the inspection and the realtor to see everything and make sure everything gets done, or should I see for myself? I'm sure we could write off the cost of the trip, but not sure if it is worth it (round trip flight $300).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
$300 is a cheap flight. I would go and confirm all is needed and done.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Some of you may remember me from this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-pictures.html

Well, you were all very helpful and I took your advice. We gave the tenant notice and now he is gone. However, based on the Prop Mgmt company inspection, it sounds like we will need new carpet and paint and some repairs.

We live about 2000 miles away now. I wonder if y'all think it would be worthwhile for me or me and my husband to fly out and look at the house ourselves. Should I just trust the inspection and the realtor to see everything and make sure everything gets done, or should I see for myself? I'm sure we could write off the cost of the trip, but not sure if it is worth it (round trip flight $300).
$300 is really cheap and you should go. Can you/ your husband do any of the repairs (or even paint yourselves)? If you stay a few days longer, maybe you can save some money on the repairs.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It's worth $300 for peace of mind.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Unfortunately, I don't think you can write off the cost of the trip - I looked into that myself and I think there was some weird provision where you can't write off the cost of travel to your old residence. I would however go out there and see if it really needs to be done, or if you can just clean the carpets and patch up the paint yourself. If you can do ANY of the repairs yourself, it will probably save you at least $300, so I think monetarily it's a no-brainer. It's just a matter of if you have the time, and if this is how you want to spend that time.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think you can write off the cost of the trip - I looked into that myself and I think there was some weird provision where you can't write off the cost of travel to your old residence. I would however go out there and see if it really needs to be done, or if you can just clean the carpets and patch up the paint yourself. If you can do ANY of the repairs yourself, it will probably save you at least $300, so I think monetarily it's a no-brainer. It's just a matter of if you have the time, and if this is how you want to spend that time.

Even if it is a rental property?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,846 times
Oh, yes. If it was a rental property you probably can write it off.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post

Rental property trip can be written off. Now you can't go wild writing 8 trips in one year to the place cause youll raise flags but a trip to check on the property after a tenant vacates and to assess damage and repairs is perfectly legitimate write off.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Does your PMC hire their own maintenance people? (Thinking kick-back - no incentive to get you the best deal)

Do they get a fee for supervising maintenance and repairs? (Thinking the more expensive the job, the more they make - hence no incentive to get you a good deal)

My thinking is based on a bad PMC experience that charged up the ying yang for repairs and maintenance - most unnecessary - and then a fee on top of that for supervising the jobs.

I think you should go back and oversee and hire people for yourself. Plus, you might be able to get the floors cleaned and they'll look fine. As your realtor's opinion on what needs to be done - not your PMC. IMHO.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
What? You don't want to pick out the new carpeting yourself?

I would never trust another person's judgment about how much money I should spend. I want to see and evaluate myself.

You've had a tenant in there, so chances are that you do need to repaint and maybe need new carpet. However, you can work miracles on paint by washing the walls and using a magic eraser on marks.

Walls should be washed before painting, so I would do that anyway, and then evaluate what the paint looks like. Cleaning the windows will make the paint look better.

A good carpet cleaner can work miracles on carpeting. Unless there are wear spots, a good professional cleaning, spot removal, deodorizing, and minor repair might save you the cost of new carpet.

If you need new carpet, pick out new carpet and have it installed, but I suggest that you don't take the word of someone who is going to make money off of the new carpet installation.

While you are there, trim back the landscaping and neaten up the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate