Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times

Advertisements

First, thank you for all your advice on my previous thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ouse-kids.html

Cliffs:
- Paid $265k in 2011
- Current slowish market shows we could sell anywhere between $310-320k (market is slow due to winter and neighbours being overpriced - properly priced homes have been selling very quick)
- Brand new large deck and high-end pool put in last summer (worth $10k - pools are desirable here)

We have to move urgently for job transfer/medical reasons. One of my H's boss, who is involved in this transfer, is actually looking for a home in our small area and is renting with a month-to-month lease. He is willing to pay no more than $300k for a home.

Would we be insane to just go a straight $300k and get out of here? We are desperate to move and my thoughts are that the possible $10k+ are not worth the stress of showing a home with two very little kids, especially with a cross-country move involved.

Would you forgo the listing process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Cliffs:
- Paid $265k in 2011
- Current slowish market shows we could sell anywhere between $310-320k (market is slow due to winter and neighbours being overpriced - properly priced homes have been selling very quick)
- Brand new large deck and high-end pool put in last summer (worth $10k - pools are desirable here)

We have to move urgently for job transfer/medical reasons. One of my H's boss, who is involved in this transfer, is actually looking for a home in our small area and is renting with a month-to-month lease. He is willing to pay no more than $300k for a home.

Would we be insane to just go a straight $300k and get out of here? We are desperate to move and my thoughts are that the possible $10k+ are not worth the stress of showing a home with two very little kids, especially with a cross-country move involved.

Based on your numbers, if he is willing to pay $300k, it sounds like a good deal to me!

With an agent you'll have to pay commission and there is always the matter of the buyer being qualified to buy. With your husband's boss, there will be no commission (a savings for you) and the assumption he qualifies. Get yourself a good real estate attorney and let him/her handle the question of qualifying and take care of the rest, title search, contract, etc.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Based on your numbers, if he is willing to pay $300k, it sounds like a good deal to me!

With an agent you'll have to pay commission and there is always the matter of the buyer being qualified to buy. With your husband's boss, there will be no commission (a savings for you) and the assumption he qualifies. Get yourself a good real estate attorney and let him/her handle the question of qualifying and take care of the rest, title search, contract, etc.
Agree. I don't know what commission rates are common up in Canada, but I'd take the $300k and run.*It is a sure thing that meets your needs with no commissions (but get an attorney to help), vs. going for $320 with commissions, which is an unknown risk in a winter market.

Don't focus on the price. Focus on the net to you after the sale. That is the important number.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Thanks!

The commission is 3% by the job and then either you get an agent to work for 3% or you out-of-pocket them the other 4% (because 7% is the standard here). It's a bit silly yes, but the commission would either be $12k or $0 (and it would be a real hassle to find any agent willing to do 3% - last time, we had to do the pictures and showings ourselves in exchange)

Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM

192 posts, read 403,830 times
Besides saving on the commission, the other question is how much would it cost you to keep the house for the extra time you are showing it. If that house were around here (in NY), you might spend $2,000 or more in mortgage payments for 3 months after you find a buyer so $6,000, plus if it takes you two months to find a buyer then all of a sudden that is a total of $10,000 you have to still account for somewhere. The price difference you are talking about to me is small enough that just saving the $4,000 alone makes it worth while, and it could get worse if it takes longer. I would say what seems like it should be a sure thing is well worth the difference.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
You have a buyer in the pocket. Take it. Just sold a rent house of mine. Took less because I had a cash buyer, quick close, saved overall.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Cliffs:
- Paid $265k in 2011

YES!

Anything to avoid the showing process, especially with your family situation.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
As everyone said take the offer and go with a lawyer. A real estate lawyer

Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
And if you're still looking to sell your house with kids--I'd recommend selling them separately!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Like everyone said go for it, good luck I hope it works out making your move easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate