Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM

19,735 posts, read 12,308,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post

So yeah, I am judging. I own that. I disagree and have no respect for certain life choices that are bloated, self congratulatory and thoughtless. Not that any of you care. Just know that you aren't nearly as "cool" as you think you are, living in your cookie cutter temple to consumption and statis. You can afford it? Fan-freakinitastic.
Who said they were cool? Why are you so angry? There isn't even that much new construction going on right now. It's weird that you feel so strongly, did a McMansion do something bad to you?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,532,680 times
Also, pot meet kettle. In this topic, you've made sure to let us know that you've arrived in society -- after all, you have an apartment that is worth way more than the McMansion new construction in New Jersey. You denigrate others for their lifestyle choices yet you like to pat yourself on the back. Funny, isn't it?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:37 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,472,167 times
After kids: Do it where you can, when you can.
Before kids: Do it wherever and everywhere you can.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM

28,707 posts, read 18,875,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Though your armchair analysis reveals more about your own defensiveness than my question, I will share that I have (many many times) tried to figure out why they are looking for what I consider to be excessive and wasteful space in an awful suburb. I have tried to present alternatives that would be more conducive to their lifestyle and budget. They seem to be worried about competing with another set of friends who recently purchased a really ugly large place in an even worse suburb. Though no one will come out and say it, they have modeled their home search on what this other couple has.
Not at all. I spent 26 years living austere in the military, never garnering more than about 3,000 total pounds of household goods because either the military would not allow me more--or they'd just lose or destroy it in the move anyway. I never lived in a single family home during that time, and more than half of it was spent in the Far East. I have a larger home now (2,500 square feet) because it has room for the activities I enjoy (I prefer more discrete smaller rooms than a few huge rooms).

I don't really care what others think of it--I sure didn't while I was in the military, and I sure don't now.

And I drive a 13-year-old minivan which replaced a 15-year-old Chevy pickup truck that replaced a 17 year old Ford Fairmont...because I don't care what people think about the vehicle I drive, either.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,859,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well I bet you would have liked those extra rooms in your parents house if they had cool stuff in them. The house sounds generic and boring for kids. One can have lots of space and do interesting things with it. My friend has a pro stage set up for live bands. Many people I know are into antiques, and set up spaces to replicate an era that they like or keep a collection. Then there are game rooms, garden rooms, media rooms with special acoustics, sports rooms, and pet rooms (cats like having their own space when they want privacy and if you do it up right they will be in heaven). Watch the man-cave shows, all kinds of fun stuff can be done with extra rooms. The best thing I did was making a walk in closet out of a small bedroom, no more stuffing shoes and clothes in a dark closet.... Some people just really love their homes and want to make it theirs, a place that feels good for them, just like the smaller place does for you.

Most people are not worried about people breaking in and living upstairs. Yeah, doesn't happen too often. If it does, I would use Have a Hart traps, trap and release method.
You can do interesting things in ANY space.

My own house was very generic and boring, very restrictive, status conscious, etc. But my room was my own and I could do with it what I liked. Maybe that is why I gravitate toward liking smaller spaces. I only ever felt comfortable in my room. The rest of the house was kind of lost on me.

I also hated that I couldn't walk much of anywhere. EVERYONE drove. When I was old enough I woul dride my bike to the closest grocery store in a shopping center a few miles away. That was a big deal. Now I value being able to walk everywhere.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:30 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not at all. I spent 26 years living austere in the military, never garnering more than about 3,000 total pounds of household goods because either the military would not allow me more--or they'd just lose or destroy it in the move anyway. I never lived in a single family home during that time, and more than half of it was spent in the Far East. I have a larger home now (2,500 square feet) because it has room for the activities I enjoy (I prefer more discrete smaller rooms than a few huge rooms).

I don't really care what others think of it--I sure didn't while I was in the military, and I sure don't now.

And I drive a 13-year-old minivan which replaced a 15-year-old Chevy pickup truck that replaced a 17 year old Ford Fairmont...because I don't care what people think about the vehicle I drive, either.
This is a good reason to want a lot of space. Thank you for posting. And thanks for your service.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM

799 posts, read 1,551,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Also, pot meet kettle. In this topic, you've made sure to let us know that you've arrived in society -- after all, you have an apartment that is worth way more than the McMansion new construction in New Jersey. You denigrate others for their lifestyle choices yet you like to pat yourself on the back. Funny, isn't it?
I am using experiences from my life to counter the "I can AFFORD IT!" defensive posture. Point being, just because you can afford to does not mean you need to make a foolish choice. I can afford to do lots of things and so can others. Like cocaine. Like travel to Thailand for the sex trade. Like gamble. Doesn't mean I think any of those are good choices. Doesn't mean I am patting myself on the back. Just means that the argument holds no water.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It is happening here in Oregon. There are some proposals for tiny house subdivisions. It is a zoning and tax issue. I would expect Oregon or Washington to do

Portland also has a few micro living projects going on right now. 200 sq foot apartments that share a kitchen down the hall is one (60+ units) and then a 400 sq foot one that has their own kitchen. That one sits near the Max (light rail) since there is no parking.

Some of the micro unit designs are amazing with how things convert into different things. I couldn't share my kitchen by the 400 sq foot units were really cool. I could live in one of those if I was single and didn't need a home office.
You didn't actually say that any of those tiny detached houses were being built anywhere.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM

168 posts, read 370,889 times
So...lots going on in this thread! I will say this; everyone is different. If we won the lottery, we might get a little bit bigger of a house, but I would never want a mansion. To me, I'm not sure why anyone would need THAT much space. But that's just my opinion. To each their own! :-) I'd rather have land and animals.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
One could just as easily (and baselessly) argue that the OP and those in agreement are posting from a position of house envy. I don't believe that's true, and I don't believe in assigning negative motivations to people I don't know.
One could say, though, that those in this thread who support the choice to live in a larger house have not been judging the thoughts and motives of people who live in smaller quarters, whereas a couple of people have definitely been critical of the thoughts and motives of those who prefer larger quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.