Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

I am going to have hard wood floors installed so if your house is the style, layout, location, price, condition, etc, that I want, the carpet is far down my list of items I will look close at. Especially true if the house is sparkle clean. I do like carpeted bedrooms but more then likely I will have the carpet in them replaced especially if you have pets.

All that said, if only a few thousand dollars for lower/mid grade carpet replacement then it might could be worth doing.

As I type I realize wanting new was the reason my last two homes were new home purchases..........LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
Offer an allowance based on an estimate

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
It has been well said: replace it.

It is the same as painting: The new buyer may not like your choice of colors, but dull/dinghy/dirty walls in any color will be such a turn off that whatever else the house has to offer, buyers can't get beyond a couple thousand dollars worth of painting.

Offering a 'subsidy' is not the same. We're talking about 'appeal'.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
I'm also in the same situation. Carpet on second floor is about 10 years old (HW on main). The carpet is clean, but was a builders grade carpet/pad to begin with, so it has reached the end of its life cycle.

My agent at first thought the carpet was fine. We have had seven showings in 6 weeks, all say house is shows well, no offers yet. Our agent then had a few other agents over one day and they said we should replace the carpet. Replacing will be at least $3-4k and involve moving all of the furniture. The price point of our house is lower than others in the neighborhood already.

I expect to have to negotiate down further on the price, plus it's normal to help with closing costs in our area.

I can replace the carpet to "possibly" sell faster, but if I do, should I also assist with closing costs?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

311 posts, read 450,949 times
While house hunting, if the carpet and walls look bad, I'm out the door in a split. Some buyers are like me and want a turn key house. It might make it sell faster but it depends on your budget and appetite to keep the house on the market.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
I would remove the carpet and leave it with the sub flooring, making it upfront that the buyer gets a new flooring allowance. This avoids the turnoff of stains and dirt. I think most buyers' will be happy with this. It's when they think you are trying to palm off the old dirty carpet at full price that turns them off.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:06 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
We replaced ours with a neutral colored carpet. We have not listed yet.
I don't know, but as a buyer it's stressful enough that I would like decent flooring, not an allowance and then have to deal with that....shopping, buying, installation.

Ours was worn and stained and all though we maintain our house, furnace,plumbing etc I was not replacing that carpet until after all 5 kids moved out and we repainted etc.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
I have a carpet sales person coming over this afternoon, so we it will give us a better idea of cost at least.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I have a carpet sales person coming over this afternoon, so we it will give us a better idea of cost at least.
Once they measure and you know the amount needed you can shop around.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I would remove the carpet and leave it with the sub flooring, making it upfront that the buyer gets a new flooring allowance. This avoids the turnoff of stains and dirt. I think most buyers' will be happy with this. It's when they think you are trying to palm off the old dirty carpet at full price that turns them off.
I like this recommendation. The advantage is that any carpet smell is removed. Many buyers are put off by pet or smoking aromas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate