Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me if this comes across as rude or tasteless it's not meant to be.

My wife & I have moved down South to help take care of my mom. She's has a house which is paid for which will become mine when she passes. We don't plan in staying here we miss the mountains too much.
It's nothing fancy but it's clean & nice here. It's on one acre & then there is a lot next door which is also one acre. Being that the market is bad all over it's going to be a tough sell. Even more so because of where the house is. We had thought about renting it out & taking a loan out against it & travel some. Let whoever rents it pay the loan for us. OR stay here until the market comes back around & try to sell it then. I know this might sound like it's in bad taste but we've had people who tell us we need to be thinking about what to do with the house & land.

Any advice would help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 03:23 PM

741 posts, read 590,937 times
If it were me, I'd sell it when my mother passed and travel with the proceeds. Since it will be a gift, anything you get from the sale of the house will be profit to you. Make sure the house is in a trust or the deed has your name on it so you don't pay inheritance taxes. Don't keep it & rent it out in the hopes it will yield greater profit later. Being a landlord isn't easy if you don't have the experience or stomach for it, and renters can trash the property, costing you thousands in rapairs. I don't mean to sound crass about this, but when your mom is gone, take the money & run.

ETA: Taking a loan on it is a bad idea since you'd HAVE to rent it out to repay the loan. Just sell it free and clear, which is the same thing as pulling out the equity that a loan allows only without the debt burden. You'll also get more money by selling it then the bank would necessarily give you in a loan.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:52 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Counting your chickens? Medicare will come around wanting to be paid back out of the proceeds of the house.

If you do inherit it, then I suggest that you price it low enough that it sells. Keeping a rental far from where you live doesn't work well.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
If it were me, I'd sell it when my mother passed and travel with the proceeds. Since it will be a gift, anything you get from the sale of the house will be profit to you. Make sure the house is in a trust or the deed has your name on it so you don't pay inheritance taxes. Don't keep it & rent it out in the hopes it will yield greater profit later. Being a landlord isn't easy if you don't have the experience or stomach for it, and renters can trash the property, costing you thousands in rapairs. I don't mean to sound crass about this, but when your mom is gone, take the money & run.

ETA: Taking a loan on it is a bad idea since you'd HAVE to rent it out to repay the loan. Just sell it free and clear, which is the same thing as pulling out the equity that a loan allows only without the debt burden. You'll also get more money by selling it then the bank would necessarily give you in a loan.

The house is in a trust already. IF we did rent it I understand that going though a real estate agent would be best. The house is going to be a hard sell because of it's location we plan to use the sell of the house buy some land & put a tiny home on it cash.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:19 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Counting your chickens? Medicare will come around wanting to be paid back out of the proceeds of the house.

If you do inherit it, then I suggest that you price it low enough that it sells. Keeping a rental far from where you live doesn't work well.
Medicare takes back proceeds from the sale of a house? Since when?

Old 11-14-2015, 04:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
I dunno about others, but I pay my medicare premiums along with my supplemental. There had better not be any insurance company (medicare or otherwise) putting a lien on my property. Methinks the poster is misinformed.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:27 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Quote:
Medicaid does this, not Medicare.
It is because you have to meet a lot of rules about assets and income to be on Medicaid.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Thanks - still have no idea why that even came up though, OP didn't say anything about that, just that the house is paid for.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:

It's our understanding that as long as the house is in a trust no on can touch it.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
Sell, the house. As others have said, being a long distance landlord is not easy, and your return on investment on a paid for house with no debt leverage will not be high. Invest the proceeds in a reasonably safe investment, for example, a professionally managed R/E Investment Trust (REIT). Decent REITs are paying 3.5% - 5% these days, they do the management for you, and they have upside appreciation potential in a way that a bond does not.

Your chances of getting ensnared with inheritance taxes are low, but you haven't revealed the value of the house to us.

Don't blow the cash on something ephemeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate