Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM

30 posts, read 44,076 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are selling our home and are expecting to get an offer today for the first time. This will be coming from a buyer's agent (rather than the buyer directly).

Since this is an FSBO (where we are paying the buyer's agent 3% commission) are there any specific things in the offer we need to be wary of or since we have a buyer's agent will she be doing most of the leg work? (I keep reminding myself that the buyer's agent works for the buyer only and I don't want to get stuck paying for anything that I normally shouldn't be).

Also how common is it to request removing the appraisal contingency? The market in my area is very hot right now with properties coming on the market and getting sold in a couple weeks with multiple offers. I am concerned that the appraiser may not be able to keep up with the rapid uptick in the market.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
NET to you..
type of financing the buyers are using? Lender letter attached, hopefully from a strong lender.
the contingency deadlines to establish if they are realistic or pushed well out.
the conveying items they have notated to make sure you agree.

I wouldn't anticipate the buyers agent assisting you with your portion of the transaction, but they might (to help their clients ultimately achieve their goal of securing your home)

I'd never advise a buyer to remove the appraisal contingency. Whether these potential buyers, or the next, of your home would do it or not is impossible to answer. They may not have the liquid funds to cover that shortage in appraisal, nor may they potentially want to overpay for a home.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 44,076 times
When you say contingency deadlines do you mean when we will close (eg 30 days)?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyGal82 View Post
When you say contingency deadlines do you mean when we will close (eg 30 days)?
settlement date
financing contingency
appraisal contingency (if the contract doesn't roll that under the financing contingency umbrella)
home inspection
HOA review (if applicable)
termite
well/septic/radon (if applicable)

Old 03-31-2014, 10:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
You need to plan to do whatever the seller's agent would normally do: order title work, set a closing, keep track of all deadlines, prepare responses, find an attorney, understand the contract, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:

Also how common is it to request removing the appraisal contingency? .
As a buyer's agent I would advise my customer to never accept such a request. Not saying that a seller cannot request it.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
As a buyer's agent I would advise my customer to never accept such a request. Not saying that a seller cannot request it.
Interesting because around here that's not a contingency I see very often. Real estate is local as they say.

OP, the buyer's agent does not represent your interests. So, they are not going to help you negotiate an offer advantageous to you. If you're not sure how to handle an offer, it sounds like you maybe should have hired your own agent to represent you. You could hire a real estate attorney to assist you with the contract (not sure how common that is in the Chicago area) but my experience with attorneys is that they can interpret the contract but they often don't know what's typical or why particular timeframes are considered ideal.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Quote:
Also how common is it to request removing the appraisal contingency? The market in my area is very hot right now with properties coming on the market and getting sold in a couple weeks with multiple offers. I am concerned that the appraiser may not be able to keep up with the rapid uptick in the market.
I feel that unless you're absolutely confident of the buyer's strong desire for your property, along with their liquidity, you might be doing yourself a disservice by asking for a waiver of the appraisal clause. After all, if your buyers are financing with a mortgage, then the bank won't loan them anything above the appraisal price; so if your agreed-upon purchase price is higher than the appraisal price, your buyers will either have to come up with the difference out of their own pockets or you'll have to settle down to the appraisal price. How confident are you that your buyers could come up with that potential difference in price?
Now, if your buyers are cash buyers, then forget all that, and you can certainly make that a condition.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:27 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
In life there is no such thing as a free lunch.

You have chosen to reduce your costs by doing a FSBO.

Part of the money saved in commission will be paid to your attorney.

Go through the offer yourself and look at the things which seem logical, and not so logical.

Then, sit down with your attorney and review the contract, with particular attention to those items whioch raise some concern.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Hi All,

We are selling our home and are expecting to get an offer today for the first time. This will be coming from a buyer's agent (rather than the buyer directly).

Since this is an FSBO (where we are paying the buyer's agent 3% commission) are there any specific things in the offer we need to be wary of or since we have a buyer's agent will she be doing most of the leg work? (I keep reminding myself that the buyer's agent works for the buyer only and I don't want to get stuck paying for anything that I normally shouldn't be).

Thanks.
By denying an appraisal contingency, you eliminate anyone who needs a mortgage to close, which tends to be the majority of buyers.

Get yourself a real estate attorney who can look out for your best interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate