Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

As far as anyone from there reading this and identifying the parties involved, I think it would be unlikely. But now I've got something else to worry about....**** ####

And other than a few times when I was clearly joking, I've written what has happened. Of course it's what has happened to me, as I see it; the condo board prez probably does have an opposite view of the events in which my Dad and I are the major villains.

By the way, one of the reasons I was turned down was because the condo prez said that I made some critical comments about the place when I visited for 5 days at Christmas. I now know that he was referring to me pointing out an area of sidewalk and pavement in front of my father's condo's front door, which floods when it rains heavily. This has resulted in a cracked sidewalk with many fissures and rubble...which I was concerned Dad could trip over. There is also a large crack in the pavement that runs straight into the foundation of the condo. That's what I was pointing out, and I think my concern was 100 % legitimate.

Again, the condo prez took a reasonable comment, and twisted it to make it seem that I had made all kinds of derogatory comments about their condo complex.

So the moral of this entire story is don't point out the cracks in a sidewalk to a person who would take this personally.

**** If you are reading this with mounting horror and it is beginning to dawn on you that this thread might be about you....please stop reading.

#### Plus the condo board prez probably has his own thread elsewhere entitled "Fending off Maniacal Condo Buyers from Invading our Fine Community and Sullying It With Their Turgid Undesireability"

Last edited by ellemint; 04-08-2014 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
I haven't read all the threads and have never purchased a condo or co-op, but I know for a fact that this type of thing goes on all the time in New York City. Co-op boards want to approve each new owner. I think even John Lennon had somewhat of a problem finding a place to live at one time.

Personally, I think the whole idea sort of sucks.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Someone stated I wasn't keeping my story straight, which is entirely possible, but it's also because things are coming back to me as I rack my brain about why this Condo Prez might have taken such a dislike to me.

I just remembered a second thing that I said that he might have been offended by when I visited the property for 5 days over Christmas. I was sitting in a green area and had just taken a huge bite of a cheese and tomato sandwich on extremely chewy rye bread, when the condo prez's wife leaned out of her balcony to say hi and welcome me. It took me an extremely long time to chew this big bite, while I made exaggerated hand movements and facial expressions to indicate, 'can't talk..stuffed my face..' So they probably instantly thought "we don't want that type of uncouth person living here." In fact, while the wife and I chatted, the condo prez --- and I am NOT making this up ---- the condo prez tried to hide behind a palm tree on his balcony so I wouldn't see him. He had already developed an aversion/affliction/revulsion/fear/covert interest/or allergy to me. I pointed out that I could see him, and he emerged from behind the fronds with a beet-red face.

And then while we chatted for a few minutes I noticed there was a placement hole in the middle of the concrete table and I said, "It would be nice to get one of those sun umbrella things over this table." since it was in an exposed area where you got a full blast of sun. That could have been perceived as me being too critical of the property.

So the moral of this entire story is that if someone is hiding behind a tree at the sight of you, they probably don't want you living near them.

Last edited by ellemint; 04-08-2014 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I haven't read all the threads and have never purchased a condo or co-op, but I know for a fact that this type of thing goes on all the time in New York City. Co-op boards want to approve each new owner. I think even John Lennon had somewhat of a problem finding a place to live at one time.

Personally, I think the whole idea sort of sucks.
I wouldn't do that: just jump to the morals of the story above.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 PM

400 posts, read 793,764 times
Wow! I've only read bits and pieces, but this was quite the bed-time read!

I would've given up by now, honestly, and moved your father out as well. But I feel like you're going all Erin Brokovich on the HOA president who, if he's as bad as you say he is, may need to go down. So, if you're taking him down righteously, I applaud you.

And I hope everything works out in the end.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
The ex cop sounds like a real piece of work. I especially enjoyed reading about him hiding behind the palm tree, LOL! Sounds like a real bully all right--just keep remembering, "what goes around comes around," i.e. Karma will come back to him in a bad way...
maybe he has some form of dementia??

I have to give you credit: I would have moved on long ago. I hope you dont find that what you fought for was not worth fighting for......

Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
Wow! I've only read bits and pieces, but this was quite the bed-time read!

I would've given up by now, honestly, and moved your father out as well. But I feel like you're going all Erin Brokovich on the HOA president who, if he's as bad as you say he is, may need to go down. So, if you're taking him down righteously, I applaud you.

And I hope everything works out in the end.
Thank you.

Remember, the Condo Prez is the one who hid behind a palm tree.....such was his shame....

The incidents I related above, are actually the events that I think led the Condo Prez to take an instant dislike to me: my comment on the cracked sidewalk, and my suggestion of a shade umbrella for the table outside.

I'm not joking: I think his ego is such that he took those comments as an affront----because he told the sellers that one of the reasons my application was rejected was because "the moment she was here she started criticizing the place..." Who would even remember such insignificant incidences like that, let alone take such offense?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
The ex cop sounds like a real piece of work. I especially enjoyed reading about him hiding behind the palm tree, LOL! Sounds like a real bully all right--just keep remembering, "what goes around comes around," i.e. Karma will come back to him in a bad way...
maybe he has some form of dementia??

I have to give you credit: I would have moved on long ago. I hope you dont find that what you fought for was not worth fighting for......
I don't think we're going to win.

I hate bullies and I did not want Dad to have to leave the place he has already wintered at for 4 years because of a series of unfortunate events and a malicious ego-driven condo board president. Dad worked on that place; it's his (winter) home, and if he is not allowed to purchase it, it's like he's being evicted and he hasn't done anything. He has been totally inoffensive and an innocent party in this entire thing, and he is being treated like ***.

Now I feel guilty for commenting on the cracked sidewalk and asking for the condo documents, which angered the condo prez so much.

[The prez is an ex-FBI agent; I honestly believe he manipulated the upset seller to say bad things about my father and I as grounds for rejecting us as buyers. He is trained to interrogate people. By the time he finished talking to her she was crying, and then when she later sent him an e-mail taking back what she said, and wrote that she was just really upset at the time, he had the nerve to write back to her, "You didn't appear upset to me." She was crying.

And as I wrote before, the prez told her that my father and I were going to sue her, which was a bold-faced LIE. The guy's ruthless.

Last edited by ellemint; 04-08-2014 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM

On the other hand, if I ever live there, I don't think the Condo Prez will bother me---he'll just be hiding behind trees......spying or something.....

Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I am sorry to hear that.

It seems people just can't leave others alone.

I prefer a live and let live attitude.

And in my case, seriously, how likely is that me, a 55 year old professional or my 90 year old Dad are going to be problem residents for any condo complex?
I can't help but wonder if the Condo Prez is worried you or your father might upseat him in the next election?

Also... would it be possible for the 2 sisters to maintain ownership of the condo for the next year or so and rent it to you and your father? That way, he could continue living there, and perhaps if y'all continued to live there for a longer period of time and tried to purchase the place again later down the road you might have better luck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate