Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,439 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Brand new first time home buyer with a few questions.
My husband and I bought a house in middle Georgia that had been a flipped foreclosure where the seller is a licensed real estate agent in the area and did most of the work himself. New windows, new roof, new pool and cement slab, refinished floors making the house look really well done. The inspection came back with small things that didn't raise any flags ie we should install more insulation in the attic for the winter since the existing insulation was blown in and has settled over the years.

3 months into owning the home I was in the hall bath taking a shower, heard a huge crack and over the course of the next few days the floor started to slope down 4-5 inches towards the exterior wall. My husband climbed under the house and found horrendous water damage to the subfloor and the support beams stemming from the old toilet leaking over the course of many years (the sellers installed all new toilets). He also saw that there had been new wood wedged in and looked like a DIY resupport job.

We ended up pulling up all of the bathroom, the sellers had just tiled over the existing 1960s tile, irritating but not the worst problem. We pulled up all the tile and the subfloor basically crumbled apart. The seller had installed new PEX tubing for plumbing so either the seller or a plumber hired by them drilled through the rotten subfloor to connect the toilet.

It's going to cost us a pretty penny to have the repair done correctly and none of this was disclosed at time of purchase. The inspector came back out and was extremely apologetic and offered to help us make it right.
We are just at a loss, we would not have bought this house had we know about the structural problem.

I've attached a photo of the damage (sorry about the shaky quality), the house also sat vacant for a while before the seller purchased the home.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
GA disclosure question-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
Find a good 'RE attorney, not just one who does closing.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the input SouthernBelleInUtah. I don't know if the monetary damage is enough to warrant paying the fees and expenses of an attorney. I will be calling around and seeing what I can find out though.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
Parker

Do you have any idea of the cost to properly repair? I expect you would not live there without the repair being done so at this time, you need to get the repair done. Considering legal action comes next and must be weighed against the repair cost.

I would document all (pictures, verbiage, estimate/invoices copies, time line, etc.) to be prepared for legal action.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Well we're lucky enough to have other bathrooms to use so we've just masked off the one with the damage. We're fairly handy and can do the finishing work but had to call someone in to do the structural repairs. Rough estimate right now is 1500-2000 for 5 joists, the rim joist and then subfloor and 18-24" up some wall studs. It's not dauntingly expensive but the house was sold "fully renovated and turn key" with a clean inspection :/

We're getting all our ducks in a row, keeping records of everything and I've taken about 50-60 photos of the area.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
No advice just wow. That is awful.....

Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,666,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker88 View Post
there had been new wood wedged in and looked like a DIY resupport job.
Looking at the photo, its possible the support piece under the beam was used to level the floor. Hard to tell from the one photo. Looks like a really old home from the looks of that beam. No way to really see that rot unless you look at it from above. Unless that floor was removed by the renovator, its possible he didnt know about it.

Did your inspector ever climb under the house?

PS. Old houses have issues. I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate