Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 PM

49 posts, read 174,607 times

Advertisements

Imagine you are interviewing multiple agents for your services. What could they say that would impress you the most?

I can tell you what doesn't impress me:
  • I have sold $XXXXXXXX worth of houses in my career (what was sold 25 years ago isn't really relevant today)
  • I sold $XXXXXXXX worth of houses last year (does that mean less attention for my property?)
  • I sold the most homes last year / I am a top producer (same as above)
  • I have XX years of experience (a few years is good but after that does it really make a difference whether it's 10 or 30 years?)
  • Non-specific or measurable things like "I listen", "I work hard", "I communicate well", ...
  • I am certified in X, Y, Z (most clients have never heard of these)
  • I have a low commission (for an important transaction, I'll pay for better service)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
I
I can tell you what doesn't impress me:
  • I sold $XXXXXXXX worth of houses last year (does that mean less attention for my property?)
  • I sold the most homes last year / I am a top producer (same as above)

As a seller, having an agent that is a good closer is very important. I dont really care how the person does it, as long as they sell my house fast. Having a top producer sell your home is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Its the agents who sell 6 homes a year you should be most worried about. They obviously are not very good at their job, which is...... selling homes.

You want someone that can sell your house. Not someone to hang out with, chat about the market, blah, blah, blah. People that have time to coddle you and give you warm fuzzies are obviously not selling homes.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Interesting topic of conversation. I liked hearing what doesn't impress you but you never said what does impress you.

Sadly, these "facts" you mentioned do impress most people and they often make their choice based solely on them.

Quote:
I have sold $XXXXXXXX worth of houses in my career (what was sold 25 years ago isn't really relevant today)
Couldn't agree more. Who cares what you've done over your entire career? You might have been great once upon a time and now are an awful agent who can't even remember to put on two socks in the morning.

Quote:
I sold $XXXXXXXX worth of houses last year (does that mean less attention for my property?)

I sold the most homes last year / I am a top producer (same as above)
I like the idea of hiring an agent that's busy but not too busy. Most of the very top producing agents in my area can't spare 5 seconds to talk to their clients.

Quote:
I have XX years of experience (a few years is good but after that does it really make a difference whether it's 10 or 30 years?)
I would agree that there is a point of diminishing returns on this stat. Also, most of the agents that I know who have been at it for a long time don't even know how to turn on a computer which is pretty critical these days.

Quote:
Non-specific or measurable things like "I listen", "I work hard", "I communicate well", ...
It's hard to measure this, but I do feel they're important characteristics. The important thing is figuring out if the agent actually has them or if this is lip service.

Quote:
I am certified in X, Y, Z (most clients have never heard of these)
I agree. This whole "alphabet soup" thing as we call it around here is pure rubbish. I've learned far more out in the world during transactions than I ever have in a designation class.

Quote:
I have a low commission (for an important transaction, I'll pay for better service)
Couldn't agree more. You get what you pay for.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
As a seller, having an agent that is a good closer is very important. I dont really care how the person does it, as long as they sell my house fast. Having a top producer sell your home is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Its the agents who sell 6 homes a year you should be most worried about. They obviously are not very good at their job, which is...... selling homes.

You want someone that can sell your house. Not someone to hang out with, chat about the market, blah, blah, blah. People that have time to coddle you and give you warm fuzzies are obviously not selling homes.
There are some pretty good agents in my office who are in the 6 home category. First, I just want to qualify this by saying sales levels are far lower around here because there is an over abundance of agents and prices are far higher. I would still consider them low volume though. Anyway, they do a fantastic job for their clients when they get a shot. What they're horrible at is selling themselves and networking.

Also, home selling/buying can be a pretty stressful process. Just because you are able to handle it doesn't mean everyone else is. Some people need a little extra hand holding and the top producing agent in town is definitely not going to provide that service. My general experience with the absolute top producing agents is that they just want to close the deal quickly and move on. They don't really care if they get you the most money or if you're stressed out.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I look for knowledge in my town, area, and my neighborhood. I look for their recent sales record in number of sales in my market area. I look for experience as in how long doing this. I only want a full timer. I look for personal and professional references. I look for some one who is hungry and will work for the sale. I look for follow up on any showings. I look for quick turn around when I call. I place a lot of emphasis on there presence, demeanor, behavior, presentation, vocabulary, dress, neatness, etc. when we first meet. I ask myself is this the type of person that as a buyer, I would feel comfortable with and trust?

I would be more impressed with a $million$ is sales via 4-$250K homes then a $million$ dollar home assuming I am sell a $250K home. Meaning they work and understand my market.

Also, if a male, no pinkie rings....LOL

Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Wow, looking at your list, what's left? You drink the same brand of coffee, so you hire him? LOL!

As a buyer, I will know pretty quickly if I'm going to work with someone any more. The agent who shows me homes that don't fit the criteria I gave, like the price I said I can afford, specifically, is wasting my time, and I'll move on.

When I've sold my homes and properties, I normally used the agent who helped me buy my property, if I liked them, and they made the effort to stay in touch as a subtle, unspoken reminder that they'd be happy to sell my place should I want to sell. Like the agent who helped me buy a condo in Davis, CA. Every year she dropped off a poinsetta plant and a Christmas card on my front step. When I sold, I listed with her.

Otherwise, even as a seller, I want someone who treats me with respect, no matter the selling price of my home/land. And they show up on time and return my calls. And I have to like them, personally. If i don't like them, buyers probably won't like them either. I don't want an agent that annoys potential buyers who might decide they just need to get away from the agent and go look at another open house lol!

The sales people over time, in any kind of sale, who consistently get my business, are the ones who look me in the eye and act like they genuinely care about my needs and want to help me meet them. You can keep the "star" seller, if he's always looking out of the corner of his eye for the next sale, or is always looking at his watch, or answering his phone. I don't care how successful he is. He won't be getting my business.

FWIW.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Also, if a male, no pinkie rings....LOL
I've only bought and sold half a dozen times over many years, agree wholeheartedly with your comments but particularly enjoyed the last one. I feel likewise about them where attorneys and car salesmen are concerned!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
  • Non-specific or measurable things like "I listen", "I work hard", "I communicate well", ...
    )
Who's going to say "I never listen to my clients"' "I'm a lazy SOB" etc.

I'd rather hear that they work hard, communicate, etc.from past customers. In other words, I want a referral from someone.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM

49 posts, read 174,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
you never said what does impress you.
Not sure if others feel the same way ...

If I'm a buyer, I care about things like:
  • average margin negotiated (sales price / asking price)
  • # properties toured before first offer (reduce waste)
  • % of initial offers accepted
  • average time to reply emails / texts / phone calls
  • referral rate

If I'm a seller I care about things like:
  • average number of price drops prior to sale
  • sales price versus initial asking price
  • average time on market
  • referral rate
  • what's your actual strategy (e.g., virtual tour, marketing, brokers open, etc.)

Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
There are some pretty good agents in my office who are in the 6 home category.
Good people? Sure.
Good agent? I doubt it.

Another good way to see if an agent is any good is to look at their newest listings, all price ranges. Are they complete? Good descriptions, decent photos, etc. This definitely gives insight into what kind of listing "you" will have with them.

If they have terrible listings, chances are yours will be terrible too. And this is the only thing most buyers will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate