Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,457,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And Ocean City has such an ordinance:

Parking of motor vehicles on landscaped areas, on grass, or against trees and shrubbery is prohibited. Parking of vehicles on landscaped/grass areas is permitted during special events.

So I agree with you on this one. Robyn
"Lawn" can be a relative term, especially at the Jersey shore, even in Ocean City. People have parking spots wherever they can find them, given that it's a rather congested island and parking spaces are hard to come by in many residential areas.

In any case, I doubt this one issue lowers the value of the other homes on the street. The realtor could have called it in to the municipality, but I suspect she knows that they won't enforce it. They're nitpicky in OC, but they're likely not gonna pick on some old geezer with a bum leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 PM

91 posts, read 298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Most cities have an ordinance against cars being parked on lawns.

The older couple get no sympathy from me.
They get sympathy from me cause its their property and if some rich jerkface does not like it he can go kick bricks.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,571,013 times
My husband and I aren't a lot younger than these old "self-entitled" farts - and my husband has MS - and has to walk with a big leg brace and a cane. If anyone has ever had to walk with a disability like this - he or she would know it's much easier to walk on a regular paved surface than an irregular landscaped surface. So there's something that doesn't ring true about this story to me. Something that's missing (like a driveway - a garage - or a place to park on premises other than the lawn).

In any event - if these people don't like the rules where they live - they should move. There are lots of older folk around these days - including me. And we shouldn't get a free pass in terms of normal accepted behavior just because we're old. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 04:20 PM

P.S. Hope those of you who are so sympathetic wind up living next to another self-entitled inconsiderate old fart who's close to deaf - won't wear a hearing aid - keeps his windows open - and insists on turning on the TV at full volume . Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,332,975 times
It is difficult to enforce even when there is a code. For all the evils of HOA, that is why we live in a deed restricted neighborhood. No parking cars or unscreened-from-view boats on lawns. People were also blocking sidewalks by parking big suvs and trucks in their driveways (these vehicles will not fit in their garages or driveways. The HOA complained to the city cops to enforce the law and are now being ticketed. An individual citizen cannot usually get the cops to enforce violations on their own.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:40 PM

45,675 posts, read 61,090,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
The note was probably written by "I'mRetiredNow".
Nah, he didn't start a thread asking for opinions.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:09 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,975,112 times
Quote:
My husband and I aren't a lot younger than these old "self-entitled" farts - and my husband has MS - and has to walk with a big leg brace and a cane. If anyone has ever had to walk with a disability like this - he or she would know it's much easier to walk on a regular paved surface than an irregular landscaped surface. So there's something that doesn't ring true about this story to me. Something that's missing (like a driveway - a garage - or a place to park on premises other than the lawn).

In any event - if these people don't like the rules where they live - they should move. There are lots of older folk around these days - including me. And we shouldn't get a free pass in terms of normal accepted behavior just because we're old. Robyn
If you google the house, they actually have a nice driveway with what looks like carport or garage.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,425,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
Still, not very professional of the "agent" to do.

If Ocean City does not have that ordinance (I haven't researched them, so I don't know), then they did nothing wrong. They pay good taxes for that land. Let them park there.
This. It's unfortunate if the city doesn't have that ordinance (mine sure does) but if that's the case, the realtor needs to stop harassing these people.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you google the house, they actually have a nice driveway with what looks like carport or garage.
This is the picture I found:

Elderly couple sent angry letter from real estate agent over parking on their lawn - NY Daily News

It doesn't seem that the lawn is any closer to the stairs than the driveway. And those stairs would be a killer for anyone who really has problems walking. And the parking is in clear violation of the Ocean City ordinance.

So I stick to my conclusion that this is basically a case of a person who feels very self-entitled (even though whoever wrote the letter is certainly lacking in manners too). Note that in my HOA - a note from an "outsider" wouldn't have been necessary. The HOA would have written a warning (it's pretty much on top of these things). And - if the homeowner didn't start parking in an allowed place - he or she would be fined (after an appropriate hearing). Robyn

Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,975,112 times
Quote:
This is the picture I found:

Elderly couple sent angry letter from real estate agent over parking on their lawn - NY Daily News

It doesn't seem that the lawn is any closer to the stairs than the driveway. And those stairs would be a killer for anyone who really has problems walking. And the parking is in clear violation of the Ocean City ordinance.

So I stick to my conclusion that this is basically a case of a person who feels very self-entitled (even though whoever wrote the letter is certainly lacking in manners too). Note that in my HOA - a note from an "outsider" wouldn't have been necessary. The HOA would have written a warning (it's pretty much on top of these things). And - if the homeowner didn't start parking in an allowed place - he or she would be fined (after an appropriate hearing). Robyn

This is their house.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=64+W+...w&ved=0CAkQ_AU

They have a nice driveway on the other side.

It's probably the nicer house next to them that has a problem with their parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate