Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow Im so glad I don't live by any of you LOL ....My dog barks occasionally and so do my other neighbors dogs ..we all don't care if someone s dog is barking . That is just ridiculous to be so upset over a barking dog considering what is going on in the world . How do you know it was the dogs barking that lost the sale ? you don't ..could have been anything but let us pick on the dog owner right ? wow , just wow .
Trust me, I definitely wasn't referring to dogs that just bark occasionally. Both DH & I have owned dogs in the past and we love dogs. We know that all dogs are going to bark from time to time... but it doesn't change the fact that there are ordinances against incessant barking. Not just the regular, occasional conversational barking or warning barks, but constant, no let up barking that just keeps going and going, is what is being discussed here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It's an inconsiderate dog owner who allows continual barking.
This is so true. The last dog I had, would mainly only bark if somebody crossed into our property line to deliver a package / come to the front door / etc (which was a good thing from a safety standpoint, she always gave me fair warning that somebody was getting too close to the house!) and occasionally she'd bark a few times in response to another dog in the distance in conversation.

She was never in a situation to need or want to bark continually. Until I got a doggy door for her- I'd let her outside in the backyard to do her business, and she'd come to the back door and give one or two sharp barks for me to let her back inside once she'd finished. I imagine that if I hadn't let her back in though she might start barking constantly... but obviously I wasn't just going to leave her out there and let her do that!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Half eaten peanut butter jar, one for each dog. Toss it over the fence. They will spend hours trying to clean it out. Caution: might be a disclosure lawsuit if someone saw the realtor lobbing peanut butter grenades after the new homeowner buys the house and notices the dogs.
You're correct! If I were a buyer and I found out about the nuisance dogs after I bought the house, I would go after the previous owners and the agent that represented them. Some of the "advice" on this thread is truly amazing. Whatever happened to personal responsibility and integrity?
I was burned 10 years ago by a seller that hid defects and past damage to the home we bought. To make matters worse, the agent recommended a "great" inspector. Long story short, after contacting the previous owner with a professionally written letter of my intent to sue should he not reimburse us for the money we had to spend repairing his non-disclosed and covered up defects, he decided to comply rather than risk a protracted court battle. Buyer Beware!!! Trust NO ONE!!!!!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
I had this same problem years ago. I politely approached the neighbor about the noise, and the neighbor cooperated for a short while.

Then one day the barking abruptly started again, so I called animal control. (This was in a city, so the noise orrdinance was specific about barking dogs).

The barking was never a problem after that, and I stayed on good terms with the neighbor.

Long story short: Dogs can be trained not to bark. You just get on them everytime they bark and command "No Bark!" and they'll eventually get it. If you want to have barking unruly dogs, move out of the city onto a 5 acre lot where they can go nuts 24-7. The city isn't the place for that. That's why there are strict city ordinances.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
We have a barker next door. Love the neighbors, their dog not so much. So we bought an anti-bark device and aimed it at their fence line. It's a birdhouse shaped contraption that is battery operated. When the dog barks, it emits some sort of noise only dogs can here and keeps them quiet. It really works. Neighbors don't mind (keeps them from having to train their dog). Maybe try something like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I had this same problem years ago. I politely approached the neighbor about the noise, and the neighbor cooperated for a short while.

Then one day the barking abruptly started again, so I called animal control. (This was in a city, so the noise orrdinance was specific about barking dogs).

The barking was never a problem after that, and I stayed on good terms with the neighbor.

Long story short: Dogs can be trained not to bark. You just get on them everytime they bark and command "No Bark!" and they'll eventually get it. If you want to have barking unruly dogs, move out of the city onto a 5 acre lot where they can go nuts 24-7. The city isn't the place for that. That's why there are strict city ordinances.
1) Talk to the neighbors about training their dogs. There are bark collars that will give an unpleasant buzz every time they bark that help.

2) Get one of the anti-bark devices that you mount on a fence or wall that emits an ultrasonic correction. They're good to about 50 ft.

3) If neither of these methods work, Call Animal Control to come out and enforce noise ordinance.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
There are citronella bark collars that work great for barking. Better than shock collars from my experience and less objectionable to most dog owners. They cost about $100 at a pet store. Perhaps you can approach your neighbor and offer to buy a couple for the dogs. $200 could help you make a sale and relieve the neighborhood of a nuisance.

The ultrasonic devices work ok. If you go that route, be sure to get the type that randomly changes the sound or it will stop working after a couple weeks.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:56 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow Im so glad I don't live by any of you LOL ....My dog barks occasionally and so do my other neighbors dogs ..we all don't care if someone s dog is barking . That is just ridiculous to be so upset over a barking dog considering what is going on in the world . How do you know it was the dogs barking that lost the sale ? you don't ..could have been anything but let us pick on the dog owner right ? wow , just wow .

I have a dog.

If she's outside and starts barking, I bring her inside.

If she's inside and starts barking, I get her to stop.

If I'm not home, she's crated.

*Responsible* dog owners don't let their dogs bring the neighborhood down.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
The occasional bark is one thing. The incessant bark is another. If I'm showing a house and a nearby dog barks throughout the showing, it is a major turnoff for the buyers.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Spoken like a true dog owner. A barking dog is worse than a crying baby....simply because they never grow out of it.

A few psychos in my neighborhood have been poisoning dogs by throwing laced meat into yards. Sucks, but here's one article about it:

Dog allegedly given poisoned sausage in Hampden - baltimoresun.com
I believe that some dogs do grow out of it and the others can be trained out of it. And the potential for poisoning is one of the reasonsthat I would be aggressive if I found a neighbor surroptisously throwing food to them.

I will admit being torn on the issue presented by the OP. I understand his concern that the barking dogs affect the presentation of his property. At the same time I understand the dog owners desire to make sure that any new potential neighbor understand that there are dogs next door. The fact that the dog owners are presented as being relatively new neighbors does cloud the issue.

I am a dog owner but believe myself to be a courteous one.If there are noise or anti barking ordinances I believe thos are the MINIMUM standards that dog owners need to meet and if the dog owners in this case are violating them would have no complaint if the OP used them to his advantage. At the same time If I was the dog owner next door I may make sure the dogs went out for a short time while the house was being shown just so it would be known that there are dogs next door. A quick let them out, run in the yard for a couple minutes and call them back in. My current dog always barks when she first goes out. A quick tear around the yard announcing her presence to the squirrels and the other dogs in the neighborhood (three of four adjoining yards have dogs). then she does her business and either settles down or wants back in depending on the weather.

I don't know enough about the OPs situation to be able to judge who is right or wrong but suspect that there is some blame on both sides.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
At the same time I understand the dog owners desire to make sure that any new potential neighbor understand that there are dogs next door. The fact that the dog owners are presented as being relatively new neighbors does cloud the issue.

If I was the dog owner next door I may make sure the dogs went out for a short time while the house was being shown just so it would be known that there are dogs next door. A quick let them out, run in the yard for a couple minutes and call them back in. My current dog always barks when she first goes out. A quick tear around the yard announcing her presence to the squirrels and the other dogs in the neighborhood (three of four adjoining yards have dogs). then she does her business ...
I am stunned by this response.

When you see the house next door being shown, you let your dog out to announce her presence to the squirrels and the other dogs in the neighborhood. I assume they announce their presence back.

Then she "does her business."

Dogs barking and taking dumps seems an odd way to greet prospective neighbors. Do you not care for your current ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate