Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:53 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times

Advertisements

One of the agents that I interviewed wants to show my house tomorrow. She is such a pain in the butt. Maybe her aggression may work in my favor. I do not have any expectations. She has many prospective buyers because of an underpriced listing that she already has in contract after a few weeks. I told her that I am not willing to give my house away. She quoted the buyer a pretty good price but I got to learn quite a bit about her style during the interviewing process. She probably already told her my bottom line. I feel so vulnerable because she already knows so much about me. The house has not been listed. She does not owe me anything. However, if she gets me a price that I am comfortable with then why should I care? Does this happen often? What are your thoughts and experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
I don't think that MY realtor that I hired for selling my home EVER showed my property to a buyer. And, if he/she did, there would be that BIG problem of dual agency.

I wouldn't trust any realtor to represent both the seller and buyer in one transaction.

How did you determine the "price that I am comfortable with"? Did you get CMA's from at least three realtors?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,178,942 times
I have no problem with her bringing you a buyer and if the offer is acceptable to you all the better. But be careful, the "I have a Buyer for your house" is the first line of BS that we use to get a listing. I have brought my sister, friends, even buyers that are not qualified to see homes just to prove to the seller that I have interested buyers. A little larceny? Yes, but I wanted the listing.

I am not saying that this agent is not a good agent and may very well do a great job for you, but don't fall for the "I have a buyer that has just been waiting for YOUR house." story. If she had a buyer she would be selling them one of the other dozens of homes in your area.

Just treat her the same as any other agent that you wish to interview. Ask them how they are going to sell your house if THIS buyer decides they don't want it.

The bottom line is she wants your listing. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest about it.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM

991 posts, read 1,521,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I have no problem with her bringing you a buyer and if the offer is acceptable to you all the better. But be careful, the "I have a Buyer for your house" is the first line of BS that we use to get a listing. I have brought my sister, friends, even buyers that are not qualified to see homes just to prove to the seller that I have interested buyers. A little larceny? Yes, but I wanted the listing.

I am not saying that this agent is not a good agent and may very well do a great job for you, but don't fall for the "I have a buyer that has just been waiting for YOUR house." story. If she had a buyer she would be selling them one of the other dozens of homes in your area.

Just treat her the same as any other agent that you wish to interview. Ask them how they are going to sell your house if THIS buyer decides they don't want it.

WOW! You admit to showing houses to non-buyers. No wonder I'm losing my faith in 95% of the agents out there.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM

Technically, I am FSBO because I have not signed a contract with a listing agent. She is a buyer's agent with an inside track. She received several calls regarding an underpriced property with a similar floor plan to mine. The house is already in contract. She has been trying to get buyers to see my house since the day I interviewed her. I was not ready then. I am ready now. As for CMA, I was given prices all over the place. I am not entirely sure what my house is worth because the market keeps changing. She quoted the buyer a price that I like but I believe it is a tactic. She already knows what I want because we spoke at length about her representing me. I was going to choose another agent next week but I do not know what to do. I guess I will wait until tomorrow with no expectations. I find it interesting that she does not care about owning the listing or is it a tactic? I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post

The bottom line is she wants your listing. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest about it.
I agree it may be a tactic but I do not have any desire to list with her. However, if she finds me a buyer at an acceptable price, why not?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:11 PM

988 posts, read 1,741,480 times
Well, if she truly has buyers waiting in the wings, why don't you ask her to make them submit an offer? Set up an appointment for her to show her buyers your place and see what they come in with. You don't need to give the agent your listing in order to do this; if the agent truly has buyers, then it shouldn't be an issue.

In the interim, you should interview at least 3 other agents; at the very least, they'll provide you with CMAs so you may have a more accurate sense of pricing.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
That would drive me crazy.

I would list your house with an agent you are comfortable with. It doesn't sound like you would like her very much so I would cut her out of your listing.

If she wants to show it as a buyers agent, well that's just fine. But I would list my house first. A listing agent is there to serve you - not the buyer and not - as it sounds - herself!

Old 05-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Well, if she truly has buyers waiting in the wings, why don't you ask her to make them submit an offer? Set up an appointment for her to show her buyers your place and see what they come in with. You don't need to give the agent your listing in order to do this; if the agent truly has buyers, then it shouldn't be an issue.

In the interim, you should interview at least 3 other agents; at the very least, they'll provide you with CMAs so you may have a more accurate sense of pricing.
I did interview three agents. She is one of the agents I interviewed. I am not giving her the listing.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Technically, I am FSBO because I have not signed a contract with a listing agent. She is a buyer's agent with an inside track. She received several calls regarding an underpriced property with a similar floor plan to mine. The house is already in contract. She has been trying to get buyers to see my house since the day I interviewed her. I was not ready then. I am ready now. As for CMA, I was given prices all over the place. I am not entirely sure what my house is worth because the market keeps changing. She quoted the buyer a price that I like but I believe it is a tactic. She already knows what I want because we spoke at length about her representing me. I was going to choose another agent next week but I do not know what to do. I guess I will wait until tomorrow with no expectations. I find it interesting that she does not care about owning the listing or is it a tactic? I guess I will find out tomorrow.
CMAs don't change. It's not what houses are listed for. It reflects what houses like yours have recently SOLD for. The market of the last 3 months cannot have changed THAT much.

If you have no idea what your house is worth, then the question of whether you're using her or any other agent or selling as a FSBO will not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate