Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 893 times

Advertisements

In Texas:

My wife and I found a house that we liked. We had an agent help us find a house. We signed a contract with seller, had house inspection and lender did appraisal. Throughout this time, my agent has been in contact with seller’s agent for little things here and there. Our closing date is next week; insurance and lender are all ready to go and disclosures signed and submitted.

We just found out that the owner had a son who passed and that there may be heirs that have not been notified. The owner had two daughters they one of them is the one signing the Contract. It appears we are now waiting for the deceased son’s children to be notified of this sale and I guess to get their approval??

We got all this way and about to close and just now finding out about this. Thankfully we would have title insurance, but I guess the title company did their job now to find this issue. No idea if estate was already in probate court, independent/dependent, order of sale ever issued or a need to, etc. County records still show title under original owner who since died; children name(s) are not on title.

There may be too many variables to weigh, but any idea of how long this part could take to notify other heirs and get their okay to sell/close on house (affidavit of heirship even) next week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:42 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaw2 View Post
There may be too many variables to weigh, but any idea of how long this part could take to notify other heirs and get their okay to sell/close on house (affidavit of heirship even) next week?
I have no idea. If probate was required, and if the probate court hasn't yet approved the sale, you're probably not going to close next week. A lot will depend upon how title was originally held (any joint tenancy?)--and how it passed to the heirs. The title company and your agent should be able to provide you with that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate