Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 AM

16 posts, read 16,815 times

Advertisements

One of the main things that sells a house is the price. If it is priced right for the market the house sells in no time. It really depends on how long you are willing to wait till your house sells. Many times when there are upgrades to the home, it it nice for the homeowners who enjoy the upgrades they have done. But these upgrades do not factor much into the bank appraisal of the house. If you are willing to really see how much your home is worth you can get one to get the most accurate pricing of your home and judge where you want to price it from there. But be careful the bank appraisal price will be the stand for a while before you can try to get it redone.

Good luck and I hope your house sells soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Well, yeah, price based on proper comps for the area, but price itself means squat, if the property does not match the comp-d price. As in - if it's comp-d at say $500 000 properly for comparable sales, yet, looks like $300 000 flip to be done, stupids are not abundant to jump onto it, you know.
Property has to match the price. Also, if it's one of those "artistic" ones, where all carpets are different bright neon colors and walls were painted during hallucinogenic drugs use, not gonna sell. And we have seen those plenty.

But to the OP point. I always follow and recommend the principle: do not change horses mid stream. It's always cheaper to work it out with current person, than start hopping realtors.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
I found this post from you on another thread:

I live on a corner lot and are currently trying to sell our home. I have loved living on the corner and would again in a second. The side of our home faces a mildly busy main neighborhood street, but only busy at coming home time really, other than that, its very quiet! I think it increases the value of a home.

I think you are under estimating the negative value of this aspect. Corner lots are general a lot less private, and yours is on a busy main neighborhood street. I can see why buyers would chose another home over this, all other things being equal. I feel its a pretty major detraction.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
Corner lot + busy street = lower the price to deflect the negative aspects of the property.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 AM

768 posts, read 858,938 times
Change the price. Overpriced listings sell other people's homes, as evidenced by your recent experience.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,489,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Is it price?
I am not so sure.
8662 Foxfield Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 is For Sale - Zillow has been on the market for 5 months.
8328 Briarwood Pl, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 is For Sale - Zillow has been on the market for 1.5 months.

Could it be the neighborhood?
Where are people buying if they did not buy yours?
Are you having enough open houses? We had almost one a week for 7 months.
Hi there, I have gotten good advice from you before! I don't think it really is price either. WE just painted a lot of rooms, have good curb appeal, granted we are on a "main" street thru the neighborhood and have a open garage, which has turned off some people. Our realtor says there really is not one certian aspect people are not liking. We have dropped the price twice to no avail. Now, there is a neighborhood that is close (newer and upgraded and smaller, but well priced)that she was worried about and that is Lakes at Jamestown just up the road. There are in very close proximity to a busy railroad track, so I would never buy there, but almost all those have sold already according to our realtor, so she says our competition is lower now. She also said, we apear to be the best home in the neighborhood with the best rpice so will see what happens now! We have had 3 open houses so far with one in the near future. She is just not sure if having one 4th of July weekend is a good idea or not!

Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
What has the feedback been from the showings? Sounds like a price issue.
in the beginning, feedback was: great home, too high of a price. Then it was, good price but not an open floor plan, good price, but on a busy corner, good price, but wanted a triple split floor plan, good price, but lacks a closed in garage(we have a garage door but the garage open to the backyard). So it seems the price is ok now, just other stuff that we cannot help....

Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I found this post from you on another thread:

I live on a corner lot and are currently trying to sell our home. I have loved living on the corner and would again in a second. The side of our home faces a mildly busy main neighborhood street, but only busy at coming home time really, other than that, its very quiet! I think it increases the value of a home.

I think you are under estimating the negative value of this aspect. Corner lots are general a lot less private, and yours is on a busy main neighborhood street. I can see why buyers would chose another home over this, all other things being equal. I feel its a pretty major detraction.
i understand, but in all honeslty, it really is not that busy excpet at 8am and between 5-6 pm, but I get it, truly I do, it is a main street, but only 2 people out of 40 showings have mentioned it. yeah 40 showings no offer really stinks!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
Perception is reality. Change your price - IMPROVE your price, and you will move.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
in the beginning, feedback was: great home, too high of a price. Then it was, good price but not an open floor plan, good price, but on a busy corner, good price, but wanted a triple split floor plan, good price, but lacks a closed in garage(we have a garage door but the garage open to the backyard). So it seems the price is ok now, just other stuff that we cannot help....
Then the price isn't good enough to get people to overlook those drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate