Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times

Advertisements

Another topic stated: "... the agency relationship to the client would survive an agent's change of brokerage."

1. Friend buys house from builder that is currently under construction, represented by Realtor X who works for brokerage Y.

2. Realtor X and brokerage Y terminate relationship.

3. Assuming quote is correct, purchase contract stays with brokerage Y.

4. At present time house has not yet been completed and purchase contract is still pending.

Question: What happens to the commission to Realtor X as stated in the purchase contract? Does Realtor X still receive commission, or did the severance of brokerage arrangement void the commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Another topic stated: "... the agency relationship to the client would survive an agent's change of brokerage."

1. Friend buys house from builder that is currently under construction, represented by Realtor X who works for brokerage Y.

2. Realtor X and brokerage Y terminate relationship.

3. Assuming quote is correct, purchase contract stays with brokerage Y.

4. At present time house has not yet been completed and purchase contract is still pending.

Question: What happens to the commission to Realtor X as stated in the purchase contract? Does Realtor X still receive commission, or did the severance of brokerage arrangement void the commission?
The decision rests with the Broker where the agent had their license when the listing was taken.
Some Brokers won't release listings, some on a case by case basis, some will offer reduced commission to original listing agent, some agents arrive at an agreement before they leave, etc.
Short answer: it depends

Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 AM

"it depends" -- I can accept that.

Realtor X is the buyer's agent for my friend. I presume seller's agent is builder's agent or builder.

Problem is that my friend referred me to Realtor X from whom I purchased 4 properties, my friend has now purchased 6 properties, Realtor X handled 2 successful rentals for me, but due to what I characterized "unethical conduct, conflict of interest, directly violating client's orders" (me), broker Y fired Realtor X and now my buddy is very upset with me.

And to make it worse, my friend rents a house to Realtor X. I blame it all on Realtor X, and of course I wasn't the person who fired Realtor X, it was the broker, but buddy is still upset with me.

For the record, I argued with broker Y and asked him to please not fire Realtor X, and I truly hope she didn't lose the commission.

And making matters worse, Realtor X is blabbing details of my transactions to my buddy, and adding her own spin. I told buddy I would forward relevant emails but he declined.

We've been best friends for a dozen years. I hope the unethical conduct of Realtor X didn't ruin my friendship with my buddy.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Sounds more like a topic that should be in the relationship forum instead of a real estate forum.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 AM

404 posts, read 897,700 times
Default buyer side

LH: You are talking about the disposition of the processing of the Buyer side,
not the Listing side, as was answered.

Your actual question does not involve “Agency”.

To answer your question:

It is the Broker that “owns” the side of the contract.
however
In its simplest terms, typically when Buyer’s Agent X moves their license to another Broker, after bringing a contract to bilateral but before closing, first Broker (Y) allows same agent to work the contract through to close and pays agent without any change.

Occasionally Broker will assign the processing of the contract to another in-house agent and give that agent a small part of the commission. Also if agent did not put their license with another Broker, then Broker Y must give the task of managing the contract to another agent or himself.

In your case though, if the Broker ‘fired’ the agent which is extremely rare because each agent makes money for the Broker, the Broker probably is going to temporarily assign the processing to a new agent.

Broker is going to have to pay first agent some money in any event.

Your friend should speak to the Broker and confirm who it is that is helping him through to the closing of the contract. Your friend should not worry about the commission.

Last edited by gv28; 07-13-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 PM

Thanks gv28.

He's not the one worrying about the commission. I am. I didn't get Realtor X fired -- X self-did it -- I just really feel bad about the whole thing and hoped at least Realtor X would not lose the commission. I pleaded with broker Y to not fire Realtor X, even though X had it coming, which is what he said.

X was also ordered by broker to not discuss MY business with anybody else, and I specifically gave him my friend's name as a fellow investor, but MY friend knows all about MY business, and I didn't tell him. So Realtor X is still not following NAR code of conduct.

But I would still feel bad if Realtor X does not make commission on my buddy's purchase. I'm not the kind of person who harbors ill will.

If I were that kind of person I'd call broker Y back and tell him my investor colleague knows all about my confidential information, and bring down a whole new storm.

ETA:

"Also if agent did not put their license with another Broker"

Said Realtor was working at a new brokerage a few days later. At least I don't have to worry about X in the street.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:05 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
The pending stays with the brokerage. The licensee will probably be licensed within a day with another brokerage.

Whether the licensee gets paid is per the independent contractor agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate