Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times

Advertisements

I would like to see what some condo owners would like for rules.

Please no posts that say " I would never live in an HOA or Condo" or" no rules" or "I would never live where they have rules." I want examples of rules that condo owners would like to have. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM

110 posts, read 229,643 times
Having been a condo board officer for several years who recently moved in part to get away from poor condo HOA practices, I'll take a swing at this.

In no particular order:

A statement that makes clear to all residents that the purpose of the rules is mutual protection (including physical security, financial security, etc.). Clear evidence in all the rules that this is the case (i.e. no trivial rules; no rules that don't have a good reason for being there).

Rules that specifically lays out the responsibilities and authority of the Board, including such things as guidelines for reserve studies, financial planning, reserve funds, etc. This text should specify that a minor portion of the Board responsibility is rule enforcement; the major responsibility is serving as a caretaker for shared property and finances. Perhaps even segregation of these duties.

A rule that requires all owners to sign a statement indicating that they received and understand the rules when purchasing a condo.

Rules that are clearly written and specify how violations will be handled. These rules should indicate how the various rules will be enforced and remove any liberty from the Board to selectively enforce the rules.

Rules that are reasonable in their enforcement and provide, where feasible, for progressive enforcement (notices, warnings, fines, etc).

Rules that are written with enforcement in mind. If a rule cannot reasonably be enforced, it should not be a rule. If there's not a good reason for a rule, it should not be present. (There can be guidelines or other things that might be useful to communicate, but rules are those things which are specifically enforced.)

I could probably come up with other ideas, but my primary personal experience is that rules, serving on the HOA board, etc., are fine and without incident 95% of the time. In that 5% of time, though, things get rough.

I wound up being so burned out on these things that I decided to move to a traditional house.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypitt View Post
Having been a condo board officer for several years who recently moved in part to get away from poor condo HOA practices, I'll take a swing at this.

In no particular order:

A statement that makes clear to all residents that the purpose of the rules is mutual protection (including physical security, financial security, etc.). Clear evidence in all the rules that this is the case (i.e. no trivial rules; no rules that don't have a good reason for being there).

Rules that specifically lays out the responsibilities and authority of the Board, including such things as guidelines for reserve studies, financial planning, reserve funds, etc. This text should specify that a minor portion of the Board responsibility is rule enforcement; the major responsibility is serving as a caretaker for shared property and finances. Perhaps even segregation of these duties.

A rule that requires all owners to sign a statement indicating that they received and understand the rules when purchasing a condo.

Rules that are clearly written and specify how violations will be handled. These rules should indicate how the various rules will be enforced and remove any liberty from the Board to selectively enforce the rules.

Rules that are reasonable in their enforcement and provide, where feasible, for progressive enforcement (notices, warnings, fines, etc).

Rules that are written with enforcement in mind. If a rule cannot reasonably be enforced, it should not be a rule. If there's not a good reason for a rule, it should not be present. (There can be guidelines or other things that might be useful to communicate, but rules are those things which are specifically enforced.)

I could probably come up with other ideas, but my primary personal experience is that rules, serving on the HOA board, etc., are fine and without incident 95% of the time. In that 5% of time, though, things get rough.

I wound up being so burned out on these things that I decided to move to a traditional house.
Most of what you have here are in the bylaws and cc&r's.. I am looking for specific suggestions from personal experience. We just eliminated some bylaws that cannot be enforced. We are getting suggestions about garage doors left open, and inoperable and unlicensed cars so far. I am curious what other condos have.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:56 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
No fun allowed. That covers pretty much all the stuff that gets the commando's panties wadded up.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:13 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Think

Vehicle parking is a hotly debated subject and can vary depending on ones physical configuration. You say condos but imply units have a private garage. What is your arrangement?

We are standalone, individual homes. Each home has a two car wide driveway (some two cars deep) but not all homes have a garage. We have several street parallel parking pads with room for about 3 cars each. We do not allow overnight street parking. Our Bylaws prohibit parking a vehicle anywhere on ones property other then in their garage or driveway.

Non-registered, non-insured cars can be tricky. People will draw a difference between a derelict one and one say waiting for the owner to return from military service, school, snow bird, etc. Does it matter if the car has been sitting in the same spot for months be it registered or not? It does to us.

Our Bylaws say all vehicles must be registered (up to date license plate sticker) unless parked in ones garage. We have one owner whose son is in the military. The son's car has been parked in their driveway for several months but it has a valid plate registration. The Dad starts it up every few days. They keep it clean/washed. Not an issue with us. Where there not valid plates on it, we might have an issue.

No vehicle can be parked on a parking pad for more then 48 consecutive hours.

We have never had an issue with garage doors being left up. Most I have ever seen is someone working on something in their garage, leaving the door up for a few hours as they work. What are you issues?

Last edited by johngolf; 05-29-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Parking is probably the sore spot in my condo building.

I dislike rules however and wich everyone had common sense as what to not do. Unfortunately that is not the case and people definitely abuse things to the point where one person messes up and everyone suffers.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
I knew someone who insisted on parking in someone else's space and then said "but someone took my space". Very childish. Someone taking his space gave him the right to take someone else's. That kind of thing should be addressed as well as any chance of someone blocking someone else in. And those people who like drivers to have a clear view of their home so they park vehicles in front of everyone else's home. Then those people have a problem finding parking for their extra cars and visitors.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Think

Vehicle parking is a hotly debated subject and can vary depending on ones physical configuration. You say condos but imply units have a private garage. What is your arrangement?

We are standalone, individual homes. Each home has a two car wide driveway (some two cars deep) but not all homes have a garage. We have several street parallel parking pads with room for about 3 cars each. We do not allow overnight street parking. Our Bylaws prohibit parking a vehicle anywhere on ones property other then in their garage or driveway.

Non-registered, non-insured cars can be tricky. People will draw a difference between a derelict one and one say waiting for the owner to return from military service, school, snow bird, etc. Does it matter if the car has been sitting in the same spot for months be it registered or not? It does to us.

Our Bylaws say all vehicles must be registered (up to date license plate sticker) unless parked in ones garage. We have one owner whose son is in the military. The son's car has been parked in their driveway for several months but it has a valid plate registration. The Dad starts it up every few days. They keep it clean/washed. Not an issue with us. Where there not valid plates on it, we might have an issue.

No vehicle can be parked on a parking pad for more then 48 consecutive hours.

We have never had an issue with garage doors being left up. Most I have ever seen is someone working on something in their garage, leaving the door up for a few hours as they work. What are you issues?
We have private garages for each unit. We have a parking area for visitors.

We have a few people that open their garage door in the morning and leave it open all day.

Only 1 snowbird leaves their car and it is in the garage.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Parking is probably the sore spot in my condo building.

I dislike rules however and wich everyone had common sense as what to not do. Unfortunately that is not the case and people definitely abuse things to the point where one person messes up and everyone suffers.

No one likes most rules. That is why I let the entire membership vote on them, even though the board can do it on their own.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,083,414 times
My biggest rule would be, if your neighbors can hear your music when they are in their own condo with windows closed, it is too loud.

Of course this rule would only be acceptable to people who are considerate to begin with. And, alas, it would also only work in a well-constructed building with decent soundproofing, which too few condos have -- I've been in a couple of buildings that were so horrible you could hear TALKING, never mind music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate