Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times

Advertisements

Gretchen I agree 100% w/what you said. When I said "do anything to get the deal done", that could mean buying a similar home in the same neighborhood...

It all goes together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 AM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
Captain Bill...Multiple REP points for your last post in this thread. The system wouldn't let me give 'em...but you deserve many kudos for a well thought out, well stated comment. :Tipping my hat:

Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
Sooooo....what happened?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Default still looking at houses

We have an appointment for Saturday to continue looking.

I cannot ask my buyers to pay over fair market value in this market, just so I can get paid.

We made an offer on house #4, and it went under contract the same day, with someone else.

Part of what I do is to help nice people find the best property on the market for them to have and hold. Maybe, we haven't found "it" yet.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM

137 posts, read 344,796 times
I'm surprised at the amount of finger-wagging in this thread. There's nothing shameful about a buyer wanting to save money, any more than it's shameful for an agent to want to earn a full commission.

Captain Bill drew an analogy to your boss asking you to take a "discounted" wage. But the relationship between a real estate broker and a buyer or seller is very different from that between an employer and employee. On one hand, we have a contractor-client relationship, based on the completion of a distinct task (in this case, a real property transaction). Pay is guaranteed only on completion of this task, and since the completion of the task is not guaranteed, neither is the pay. Once the task is completed, the contract is fulfilled and any further business relationships is distinct and separable.

On the other hand, we have an employer-employee relationship, based on the promise of regular employment and regular compensation. This is an open-ended relationship, in contrast to the contractor-client relationship. While there are generally specific and identifiable tasks involved in regular employment, the relationship does not terminate when a distinct task (or set of tasks) has been completed, and at least some "base" pay is not contingent on same. An employee has a reasonable expectation of continued employment, whether over a certain period (temporary hire) or indefinitely (permanent hire), during which time employee also has a legal right to regular compensation for work performed, as opposed to task(s) completed. If you're on a flexible schedule and you aren't getting any shifts, you don't get compensation; but neither are you performing any work. If you perform work poorly or completely ineffectually, you may be fired, but you will still be compensated for your time. These differences (and more) between the employer-employee relationship and the contractor-client relationship are reflected in the different legal protections afforded each party in each situation.

I can certainly see why brokers, buyers and sellers might be insulted by suggestions that they should pay more or receive less. People can be very attached to their money. But I think it's important not to be constrained by ideas about what the nature of the relationship should be. By all means, be guided by your ideals, and be aware of any legal constraints that exist, but apart from that I don't see why we shouldn't all agree that an open mind, flexibility, and the willingness to explore alternatives are anything but beneficial to either an employer-employee relationship or a contractor-client relationship.

Keeping in mind of course that being open-minded does not preclude rejecting alternatives after reasonable consideration! (The key being "reasonable"—for the hypothetical scenario where an employer says he or she "deserves" to pay you less money, the threshold for what's reasonable is probably set somewhere around the time it takes for a few choice words to travel from the brain to the mouth.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate