Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM

17 posts, read 22,677 times

Advertisements

I Totally agree with Mathjak107, I think that when people tell you that "Home Ownership Is The Way To Go" is "SOOOOO Over Rated". I have been a Home Owner for over 31 years now and must have spent AT LEAST OVER $200,000.00 CASH from my pocket paying [For] or on this house in one way or another, Sidewalks, Toilets, Lights, Plumbing, Windows, Doors, Siding, etc. It would be so much easier Renting and then Investing elsewhere like maybe the stock market or a Roth IRA. I am almost 60 and am soon going to sell my home and start to rent and keep the rest and Invest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 PM

21 posts, read 28,550 times
As a multiple home owner, I personally hate it when I see a house down the street being rented. Because renters dont care as much about taking care of their property or their neighborhood. Renters are transient.
My houses, I can sell whenever I want and then take that money and move, wherever I want. The work that I put into maintaining the houses will be returned to me when I sell.

It takes home ownership and established residents that care to make a neighborhood look great and feel welcoming, which is appealing to buyers and INCREASES value.

Rentals don't create nice, safe, well maintained neighborhoods. Most renters don't stay in the same home or don't care about the property values. Why would they??? Don't they want to rent because they are lazy and would prefer another to maintain the property they live in?

Home ownership=pride and financial security. Renting=transient and low credit score.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:07 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
renting = low cedit score? ha ha ha ha .now there is a generalization that is flat out wrong.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 AM

466 posts, read 644,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
renting = low credit score?
Interesting question, so I looked it up. Couldn't find anything too recent, but did find this study from 2006 that finds the average credit scores of renters are 55 points lower than those of homeowners:

Homeowners vs. Renters: Who Scores Better?

Not a really big difference, imo. I would suspect this has evened out more since the crash.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 AM

it is a flawed survey because renters consist of very very poor and very very wealthy folks all mixed together.

homeowners do not usually include those low income and poverty income folks in the mix diminishing the renters that are in a totally different catagory.

it is not comparing apples to apples unless you took median incomes of homeowners and compared it to the same median income of renters.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 PM

625 posts, read 953,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I wanted to see how many people bought a home, than after many years, you sold it and will never buy another home.

Share your reasons why?

Why am I asking? I'm trying to decide if buying is practical for me.

My stats:
Single
Child free( I don't plan on having any)
40y/o

OMG I am in the same situation as OP right now. I am 37 years old, single, never married, and I don't have any kids. I have rented apartments for 11 years in the same city while working at the same company full-time. I am thinking of buying a house for which I am preapproved, but I never actually applied for the loan or taken out the mortgage. I didn't even select the house yet.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
I'd imagine being upset in 8 more years if I was still renting. I'll try not to pay for more house than I need and get good bang for my buck, but I still want to own... rents are rising and even if I pay a bit more out of pocket every month, deals like the south dakota home buyer tax credit combined with USDA mortgages and low rates making buying right now a no brainer... 3 people and a young kid just moved in below me after years of silence... that is a motivator as well!

I see a major economic event coming which will result in either major inflation or a deflationary setup with super low rates.. it's possible I could be missing out on even better deals to come .. we have multiple bubbles right now in the stock and bond markets thanks to fed QE... housing is arguably overpriced depending on the area as well... can't spend your whole live waiting for something that might never happen though... rates are 'low enough' right now... at least if rates go up and we see major inflation from a crisis on confidence, you have a fixed payment that can be more easily paid off as time goes by...

Do yourself a favor and read a book on home inspection and look at dozens of open houses before buying... look for stuff like updated windows, electrical, furnace, get a look in the attic for leaks, insulation.... look at the sewer line if you are buying an older house and make sure it's PVC.. roof flashing, shingle quality, water pipe material, natural gas heating which is far cheaper than electric or propane, etc. etc... get to know local real estate price trends and try to snap up deals right when they hit the market...

If a house is outside city limits not connected to city sewer and suddenly gets annexed into the city, you must pay to have their sewer and water lines hooked up. Just another of many things to consider when looking at a property.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:11 AM

139 posts, read 169,816 times
I've rented, owned, currently renting again but am now in the process of building a home.

I've rented for the last 4 years at such cheap rent (started at $615, utilities included, now $725) that there's no way I could have owned for anywhere near as cheaply. My fixed monthly costs on a home (utilities, taxes, insurance, maintenance) would have been more than my rent.

That being said, if I continue renting, my rent will forever increase whereas my mortgage will not. I know owning will be more expensive, but to me it's a quality of life increase that's worth it. And after 15 years or less, I'll never have a housing payment again, whereas renting I always will with nothing to show for it.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:31 AM

taxes in many desireable areas can run more than many pay for rent so just having a mortgage free home does not mean a thing.

back when i first started raising a family homes were 40k. the fact that mortgage is payed off today is a mere pittance compared to monthly costs and taxes of 15k plus on that very same home so the fact is after 15 years or 30 years you may not have a mortgage but you certainly have house payments of other sorts that can eventually out pace what your mortgage was..

many areas renting can be cheaper than those payments."

as far as nothing to show? well if you were here i would show you my account statement from what renting and investing left us with after paying rent vs what that silly old house is worth.

of course not everyone has the stomach or knowledge to successfully invest but the premise that you end up with nothing as a renter or a paid off mortgage leaves you with little housing costs as a general statement is flat out wrong.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 07:05 AM

9 posts, read 10,542 times
When my phone vibrated, I didn’t even have to look. I knew what it meant: the house had finally sold.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel when it was finally over. I wondered if I would feel sad or anxious or regretful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate