Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM

118 posts, read 211,114 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my post. Let me start from the beginning, and I'll try to make this as short as possible:

My family and I moved into Grandpa's (he owns a triple-decker, lives on 2nd floor) apartment building about 2 years ago due to budget/money issues. Bad, but not the worse, area of the city..

Initially I was nervous too move to the area, however it was OK at first, actually quiet even... until someone bought the house across the street. These people are just relentless from April to November, "working" on cars at all hours of the day and night. "Working" mainly consists of partying and cutting mufflers off of cars. (Oddly, Honda Civics and/or cars manufactured by Honda only.) This is just some of the stuff my family has gone through:

-Loud partying, drinking, yelling, fighting, screaming, etc.
-Overly loud talking, laughing, whistling, hand clapping, swearing, etc.
-Marijuana/Cigarette smoke filling up our entire apartment. (yes-from ACROSS the street)
-Obnoxious cars with no mufflers getting revved out loud enough to vibrate our floor and make you jump from a sound sleep.
-Cars being "worked" on at any/all hours of the night.
-10-15+ Honda Civics lining the entire street with no place to park....With 30+ people doing all of the above at any given time of the day/night and at any given day or moment.

I don't want to sound racist, and believe me I am NOT racist....but these people are thugs. Young, ruthless, non-law abiding thugs/hoodlums that couldn't give a hoot what you or I think. They'll sit out there for 12 hours revving out cars, smoking marijuana, partying it up, they don't care about anything.

By far, they are the most selfish, disrespectful neighbors, I've ever seen in my life. They live and act as though they live in the middle of the woods with no one around them.

So..What do I do? We don't dare call the cops in fear of repercussions, and, it would be very obvious as too who called anyways (we live on a corner lot directly across the street).

Say something, Yeah..right. I'm not looking to be shot and/or shot at yet. No one else seems to care, including my wife, which is crazy.

These people are driving me INSANE. I have bad anxiety, and they only make it skyrocket.

Is there anything I can do aside from moving? This problem disappears completely during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
triple-decker apartment building Bad, but not the worse, area of the city..
Initially I was nervous too move to the area...
Next time pay attention to those gut feelings.

Quote:
So..What do I do? We don't dare call the cops
Is there anything I can do aside from moving?
Nope. Not really.
Help Grandpop sell and then ALL of you can move.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
There are probably several codes violations happening, with the cars in the street and noise. Contact the city codes office. You can take action or continue to suffer.

Take action = move or call someone to help.

Also, "thug" is not a race.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Why would it be obvious who called the cops? Are there not others who live on the street? Do the cops not drive by from time to time?

You say your wife is not bothered by all this. Can you explain?

You can get noise canceling earphones, turn up your own music, go away during the summer, join them in the car repair and party business...

Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 AM

118 posts, read 211,114 times
MrRational, believe me...I was moved here by force. Never wanted to be here and I've been complaining since we moved in.

Also, I think it would be obvious who called the cops because of the way the houses are situated. We are the only house that is in close proximity to them. There is other houses on the street; but none directly across from them.

And honestly, there is no cops around here. They never drive by. I definitely live in the "ghetto"; there is no rule of law around here. These people do whatever they want, whenever. Hell, the guy was snowblowing his driveway the other night at 11:30 pm.

My wife will sit in our living room, with all of the windows wide open and watch tv calmly like nothing is happening outside. Meanwhile, there outside with the gas pedal to the floor on a car that has no mufflers. I don't get it. I actually say to her "How in the world are you sitting here? This doesn't bother you?"

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Also, I think it would be obvious who called the cops because of the way the houses are situated.
We are the only house that is in close proximity to them. There is other houses on the street;
but none directly across from them.

And honestly, there is no cops around here. They never drive by.
I definitely live in the "ghetto"; there is no rule of law around here.
This is the point.
These people have already "been dealt with" by the authorities
That's why they are in your neighborhood.

Track down who the landlords are in the area.
Make a deal. Get out.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Sounds like my neighbors in Sillydelphia....

Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
I don't want to sound racist, and believe me I am NOT racist....but these people are thugs. Young, ruthless, non-law abiding thugs/hoodlums that couldn't give a hoot what you or I think. They'll sit out there for 12 hours revving out cars, smoking marijuana, partying it up, they don't care about anything.
Those that truly aren't racist don't normally bring up race when it is a completely irrelevant point.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Quote:
MrRational, believe me...I was moved here by force. Never wanted to be here and I've been complaining since we moved in.

Also, I think it would be obvious who called the cops because of the way the houses are situated. We are the only house that is in close proximity to them. There is other houses on the street; but none directly across from them.

And honestly, there is no cops around here. They never drive by. I definitely live in the "ghetto"; there is no rule of law around here. These people do whatever they want, whenever. Hell, the guy was snowblowing his driveway the other night at 11:30 pm.

My wife will sit in our living room, with all of the windows wide open and watch tv calmly like nothing is happening outside. Meanwhile, there outside with the gas pedal to the floor on a car that has no mufflers. I don't get it. I actually say to her "How in the world are you sitting here? This doesn't bother you?"
Well, what are you going to do if one of the other neighbors calls code enforcement on them? They'll still KNOW you did it, even if you didn't. I was glad when my neighbor did it that he tipped me off, because sure enough the guy who had the violations "knew I did it" and threatened revenge. I'd have been caught off guard by that if I hadn't known he was reported.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,144,755 times
Sorry for your situation but I think this may be impossible:

-Marijuana/Cigarette smoke filling up our entire apartment. (yes-from ACROSS the street)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate