Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 22,231 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify, the foundation issue is with the stand-alone garage not the house itself. House foundation looks good. Thanks again for all the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Can you call the garage a shed? Is it as old as the house? Does it have the modern lift up door or two doors that one pullsto the side open sort of like a house front door only larger. Is it actually being used as a garage with the foundation like that? Or more like a storage shed? It could qualify as a shed and not garage. Of course, with a bad foundation, eventually you'd want to secure it so you could park your vehicle in there.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Where is the bowing ceiling? House or garage?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
That $5K would be a drop in the bucket to repairing the structural issues you are describing, if they are as extensive as they might be. Here's what we'd do: Get an due diligence period extension to get estimates. If they don't want to give you an extension, exercise your due diligence perogative and terminate. I know that all old houses have issues, but right now, you are a little concerned about the appraisal, and there are known structural issues. Not a good combination, IMHO.

If they DO give you an extension, then have estimates done for the things recommended on the inspection -- everything. Then go through the list and pick out the ones that are the most important to you. Try to ignore the cosmetic stuff (old windowsill, etc.) and concentrate on the things that might make the house fall down. :-) At that point, you have real numbers to work with, and not just pulling numbers out of the air. Look at all the estimates, share them with the seller, and then just indicate that "out of this $16,800 of possible repairs, we would either like a) just these items repaired, totalling $7,100, or b) a credit at closing for $7,100." Or escrow, or however it works in your state. Your agent should be able to advise you. Such a tactic is a reasonable win-win -- you aren't asking for the moon, just the assurance your house won't collapse the day after closing.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 22,231 times
The foundation issues are only with the small stand-alone garage, not the house. Inspectors gave the house itself a 9/10 for house of its age and indicated that the ceiling crack was just an indication that a joist might need to be re-enforced at some point in the future, particularly if we remodeled. They are highly reputable and didn't seem too concerned (it isn't even noted on the report, and all structural condition elements are marked 'satisfactory'). Everything else electric, house foundation, roof, paint, etc. is in tip-top shape. I'm leaning toward asking for $6K at this point.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymoo View Post
The foundation issues are only with the small stand-alone garage, not the house. Inspectors gave the house itself a 9/10 for house of its age and indicated that the ceiling crack was just an indication that a joist might need to be re-enforced at some point in the future, particularly if we remodeled. They are highly reputable and didn't seem too concerned (it isn't even noted on the report, and all structural condition elements are marked 'satisfactory'). Everything else electric, house foundation, roof, paint, etc. is in tip-top shape. I'm leaning toward asking for $6K at this point.
With all due respect, it sounds like you're back-pedaling a bit.

If the structural issues aren't even noted in the report, don't try to hinge the whole deal on them. If it were me, I would have them get the boiler repaired and fireplace cleaned and look forward to closing.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
As a seller, this would be my reply.

chimney repointing - denied. Chimney guy is busy for months.
boiler servicing - If I can make an appointment in the next 2 weeks, sure. If not $100 credit
fireplace cleaning - If I can make an appointment in the next 2 weeks, sure. If not $150 credit

cracked plaster & slight bow in ceiling - denied. ceiling has been that way for 50 years.
garage foundation in pour condition - denied. foundation is old
porch on improper footers - denied. footers were up to code when installed

Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
All depends on how much you want the place...

I was the backup offer for a property I really wanted...

I loved it when the buyer in first position came back with a list of items based on inspections.

Unfortunately, everyone worked in the same office so the buyer was told take it of leave it because there is a back up for more money on the table.

I later met the buyer and he said I cost him money because he was going to ask for a big credit for double pane windows were the seal had failed... actually he wanted to upgrade and have the seller pay for it.

Everything is negotiable in Real Estate...

Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymoo View Post
Wait . . . now you're talking out of the other side of your mouth. If everything else is in tip-top shape and you don't feel the structural issues are a problem -- why are you trying to shake the seller down for an additional $6K?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Whoa! Structural problems are a huge red flag especially in an older home. The cost to make that house whole, safe and up to code could be huge. Get estimates and have a structural engineer look at the place. A home is a huge investment. Stop being 'in love' with the house and start thinking like an investor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate