Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Question...

Does anyone know of the Alliance Financial Loan group in Arizona?

I recently applied for a mortgage loan at a normal bank. The Alliance people see it on my credit record and call to (I assume) try and get my business.

So he's asking me these questions about info. Then he asks for my birthdate and then the first 5 digits of my SS#. And I'm thinking - wait - normally it's the last 4 numbers that institutions ask for... so if I give them the first five, they could easily obtain my entire SS#. So I stopped the call immediately.

Anyone heard of asking for the first five numbers as they did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
First of all, they can't pop your credit to see that someone else ran your credit to get a mortgage. they must have permissible purpose AND your permission to run your credit. What's possible is, your contact information went into a database when you did apply for the loan at the bank (my last choice for mortgages is a bank by the way).

If they ran your credit they would already have had your SSN and DOB because you have to have that to run one.

If you want a mortgage talk to a couple of reputable mortgage brokers that colleagues or friends have used, or that your realtor recommends.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
If they have hacked a business who asks for the last four digits of customers' SSN, then they would need to ask for their marks' first five numbers. (I understand the really smart ones and really good with figuring these things out can figure out a high percentage of those first five numbers of SSNs themselves...so it may be these are a different kind of hacker or, generally, con artist.)

So these people just said they were Alliance Financial, right? Have you called back the number they called on? You had not applied to Alliance at all?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I don't know anything about Alliance Financial Group and I would never give my birthdate, or any part of my SS# or any other personal information to a random person who called me who I didn't know, ever, for any reason.

That being said, when we do a short sale transaction, that is run through the Equator.com system (many are these days), sometimes we need the last 4 of the buyer's SS#s and sometimes it asks for the first 5 instead of the last 4. So yes, we have had to ask for the first 5 of the buyer's SS#s before. But a random lender you don't know shouldn't be asking for that information. If you are buying a short sale, and the seller's agent needed it, they should have your agent get it directly from you.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:00 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
If they have hacked a business who asks for the last four digits of customers' SSN, then they would need to ask for their marks' first five numbers. (I understand the really smart ones and really good with figuring these things out can figure out a high percentage of those first five numbers of SSNs themselves...so it may be these are a different kind of hacker or, generally, con artist.)

So these people just said they were Alliance Financial, right? Have you called back the number they called on? You had not applied to Alliance at all?
Their website is here if you are curious. I did not apply with them. They called me the day after I was approved by the local bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I don't know anything about Alliance Financial Group and I would never give my birthdate, or any part of my SS# or any other personal information to a random person who called me who I didn't know, ever, for any reason.

That being said, when we do a short sale transaction, that is run through the Equator.com system (many are these days), sometimes we need the last 4 of the buyer's SS#s and sometimes it asks for the first 5 instead of the last 4. So yes, we have had to ask for the first 5 of the buyer's SS#s before. But a random lender you don't know shouldn't be asking for that information. If you are buying a short sale, and the seller's agent needed it, they should have your agent get it directly from you.
Total agreement with the bold.

No short sale... just the normal conventional loan process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate