Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times

Advertisements

Speaking purely from a scientific point of view SOMETHING has to be causing this. The spiders are predators and are eating something. Predators doing just explode in numbers without a viable food source. Do you have anything else living in the walls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
I can't even imagine, and I'm not even afraid of spiders! I hope you get it worked out.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
The fact that the previous owners disclosed means you have as close to a slam dunk case as possible. The people that sold to you clearly had knowledge. You need a really good real estate attorney, and yes MLS's go back far so it isn't hard to find out who the buyer and listing agent were on the last transaction. Remember the buyer agent would have passed along those disclosures to her client. He/she will have knowledge to substantiate the omission as well. You should be able to get statements from the listing agent, buyer agent, and those other home owners. That is about as solid as proof gets.

I sued a builder. It is stressful.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:01 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
The mystery of the house serindipitously keeps getting revealed to us. In the summer of 2013 a concrete contractor that came to clean our basement slab commented that he had looked at our house to buy in roughly 1998 but he said that the house had a rotting cedar roof on lath that was going to be too much for him to want to replace so he passed on the house. The next owners, the ones that were dealing with the recluse issues had replaced that roof in a workman like manner with plywood base and asphalt shingles. As it works out, ready consumers of rotting cedar are silverfish, the favorite food of brown recluse spiders. We have found no evidence of silverfish at all. My understanding is BRs will cannibalize their own population and other spiders. We had almost no other spiders in our house. They also eat dead bugs. No they are eating themselves. I found evidence for this in a glass bowl where a female had gotten trapped. There was an egg case and a bunch of tiny desiccated and eaten babies and the dead female. So gross.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Ewww. I don't know how you can sleep at night!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:16 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
The previous owners did not disclose this spider problem, thus you have a slam dunk case against them. Contact a real estate lawyer ASAP. It is also important you document every single thing the previous owner said to your husband. Write it down for possible litigation reasons. Then look for any other information that you can find and of course, you have the seller disclosure in hand. Just do it quickly because you may be on a deadline. However, if I remember correctly, statute of limitations often applies when the injured party DISCOVERS they have been wronged, and not when the damage has actually occurred, and those times can of course, be different.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
I called an attorney that took the consult over the phone. He essentially gave me the spiel that these cases are high hours, low recovery and many law firms don't take defective home cases now. He said that even having them "dead to rights" on the disclosure is no guarantee of recovery so he declined to take the case. I'm still waiting a return call from another firm that I contacted yesterday. Our problem will be that this is a small city, the previous owner is a prominent person and we are outsider retirees from Alaska. We might have trouble finding someone to help us. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Your attorney may be right. See this article. The buyers won a judgment, but have not collected and are now suing their own insurance company after the sellers' insurance company weaseled out of the coverage.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I called an attorney that took the consult over the phone. He essentially gave me the spiel that these cases are high hours, low recovery and many law firms don't take defective home cases now. He said that even having them "dead to rights" on the disclosure is no guarantee of recovery so he declined to take the case. I'm still waiting a return call from another firm that I contacted yesterday. Our problem will be that this is a small city, the previous owner is a prominent person and we are outsider retirees from Alaska. We might have trouble finding someone to help us. I'll keep you all posted.
Then take it to the media! Let everyone in town know what this prominent SOB has done.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Yes, media. If not local, next big town/city. If this former owner is prominent in a particular endeavor...and since we know he's a liar with no conscience and creates dreadful problems....he's got to have people in opposition to him. They may be of help, espcially once the bandwagon gets started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate