Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,659 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can check if your tenant has bought renter insurance in Connecticut? My rental agreement has stated they need to buy renter insurance but I wonder if there is a more polite way of finding out the answer instead of requesting to see their receipt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
I would just request a copy of their renters insurance. Most landlords I ever had did it. I didn't take offense to it, as it was a term of the lease.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 AM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
This thread is off topic to the Connecticut forum. I am moving it to the real estate forum where it can get more responses. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
In our last two condos, we (HOA) has required that owner's maintain separate insurance policies - particularly if they intend to rent-out their unit - and provide a copy of the policy to the HOA. That's largely because some damage to owner/renter property and/or caused by owner's/renters is not covered by the HOA umbrella policy.

Focus on the advantages to the renters and they will appreciate, rather than resent, your question.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:35 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
As owner of the property, you should be named as an additional insured,and then should receive a copy.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
As owner of the property, you should be named as an additional insured,and then should receive a copy.

This^^^^^
You are not covered on damages but as additionally insured you will be notified if changes or cancellations are made to the policy

Old 10-18-2014, 02:27 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times
Why does the land lord care if you have renters insurance. If the place burns down and you loose your stuff its not the land lords problem.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Why does the land lord care if you have renters insurance. If the place burns down and you loose your stuff its not the land lords problem.

Because usually there is some liability insurance attached as well, so, say if the renter damages the property, the insurance can cover that damage. For example, if the renter catches the kitchen on fire, there could be thousands of dollars in damage. With insurance, that should be in the policy.

Also, if there is some damage to the property (like a hurricane), the contents of the renters apartment or home would not be covered under the landlords insurance, but would under the renter policy.

Where I live they insist we provide a copy of our insurance every year.

Don

Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Because usually there is some liability insurance attached as well, so, say if the renter damages the property, the insurance can cover that damage. For example, if the renter catches the kitchen on fire, there could be thousands of dollars in damage. With insurance, that should be in the policy.

Also, if there is some damage to the property (like a hurricane), the contents of the renters apartment or home would not be covered under the landlords insurance, but would under the renter policy.

Where I live they insist we provide a copy of our insurance every year.

Don
That is strange, where I am the land lords insurance covers the sheet rock out (so the structure) the renters insurance covers the renters stuff. IF a renter starts a fire (assuming its not arson) then the owners insurance should cover it and the renters insurance covers his stuff. Things like appliances should be covered by the land lord.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Landlords should NEVER be listed as "Addtional Insured" on a tenants Renter's policy. They should be listed as 'Additional Interest'. Please ask you business attorney why Additional Insured can actually hurt a landlord and open them up to more liability. It's in the insurance company's best interest to have the landlord as additional insured and thats why they push it, but most pure commercial insurance companies will not even allow a landlord to be additional insured without signing an addendum stating they understand what they are doing. Its fine for a mortgage, but not a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate