Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 PM

625 posts, read 952,870 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a one bedroom apartment for $450/month, and I make enough money that I can put aside a good amount of money left over in savings every month even after I pay for rent, cable, and utilities. I can move into a one bedroom for as low as $350/month. There is another apartment ($399/month) where I can park in the parking garage (for an additional $35/month). As all of you already know, I rented apartments for 11 years and spent around $75,000 in rent over the years, because I made the mistake of renting $600/month apartments for the first 9 1/2 years I rented apartments in my current city. I started renting my current apartment in January 2013, because it was significantly cheaper. I almost bought a house, but the home inspection showed problems in the house including structural foundation issues, valve problems in the water heater, and termites. Needless to say, I walked away from that house. At this point, I realized that if I ever buy a decent quality house in this day and age, that I should buy a house that is worth at least $100,000. I don't know how long my full-time job will be around, so I am hesitant to take out a 15 year or 30 year mortgage on a $100,000 house. What do all of you think I should do? Should I move back home to my parents' house or should I move into a cheaper apartment? Should I live with a roommate? Should I buy a house? Please help me. I have been distraught over this issue for weeks. I have been overwhelmed with concern. Thank you in advance for your advice and help in this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,102,741 times
What's with all the "should"s? You have only to answer to yourself.

Home-ownership is grossly overrated. But don't move back in with your folks if you don't need to.

Why not continue to rent? Renting is a sweet deal, and I often wish I were back there.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
By all means, move back in with your parents, they will love to have you. While you are there, go back to school, learn a skill or trade and get a good job. Then you won't have to worry. Don't forget to pay your parents back once you become successful.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
By all means, move back in with your parents, they will love to have you. While you are there, go back to school, learn a skill or trade and get a good job. Then you won't have to worry. Don't forget to pay your parents back once you become successful.
"they will love to have you" Maybe, maybe not!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post

Have you ever moved back home after living somewhere else on your own? If so, what were your experiences like?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:32 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Get a better job and some schooling... you will learn more

Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
Stay where you are. Go to school nights to upgrade your education/and/or learn new job skills. If your job disappears you can then think about getting a room mate or in the very worst case, going back to your parents.

Do not buy a house if you have concerns about staying employed.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Sometimes life is difficult and our choices don't always produce the results we wish it would, but, that's life. When one removes the extraneous 'padding' from your post, it says, "I've been on my own for the past 11-12 years. Should I now expect my parents to start paying for my room, board and expenses again ... or should I grow-up and take responsibility for my own life?"

Whether you pay $350, $399, $450 or $600 in rent and/or buy a $100K house - are simply choices to be determined by your income, expenses and desires. (However, there is a BIG difference between buying a $100K house ... or moving back home with your parents!) My impression is that if you are distraught about paying $450 or even $600 versus $399 or $350 for an apartment, you need to do a 'reality check' before even imagining that you are ready to buy a $100K house.

Since you believe you could simply 'move back with your parents', can you optionally, at least ask them for advice about what you should do ... or do you know someone else who has a little common sense and might be willing to help you take an objective look at your situation?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sometimes life is difficult and our choices don't always produce the results we wish it would, but, that's life. When one removes the extraneous 'padding' from your post, it says, "I've been on my own for the past 11-12 years. Should I now expect my parents to start paying for my room, board and expenses again ... or should I grow-up and take responsibility for my own life?"

Whether you pay $350, $399, $450 or $600 in rent and/or buy a $100K house - are simply choices to be determined by your income, expenses and desires. (However, there is a BIG difference between buying a $100K house ... or moving back home with your parents!) My impression is that if you are distraught about paying $450 or even $600 versus $399 or $350 for an apartment, you need to do a 'reality check' before even imagining that you are ready to buy a $100K house.

Since you believe you could simply 'move back with your parents', can you optionally, at least ask them for advice about what you should do ... or do you know someone else who has a little common sense and might be willing to help you take an objective look at your situation?

I have talked to friends, and I have asked for advice on websites, including this one. Most people told me to buy a house. I am not distraught over just how much I paid for rent. Mostly I am distraught about how much I have spent renting apartments over the next 11 years, and what I should do now after renting apartments for so long.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
Have you ever moved back home after living somewhere else on your own? If so, what were your experiences like?
I did. I moved back in with my parents for about six months in my 20s after having been on my own. I hated it. Nothing against them, it's just that you still have that parent/child relationship even though you are an adult. Once you are on your own, it's really, really hard to go back and live with your parents.

I think you have really cheap rent. You say you are able to save a good amount, so why not continue to do that?

If I were you, I wouldn't want to move back with my parents and I also wouldn't want a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate