Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:11 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

I live about 20 minutes away. At $499K it is a steal. It is in a beautiful area, and would be one of the cheapest houses on the block, if not the cheapest, which is a selling point (people like to live in an area that includes houses they can't afford). The rehabber made up for a drab looking exterior by doing a nice (but not smashing) job on the interior. While I'd regard it as a "condo alternative" and not a true family home, I would pay $499K for it if I needed a property of that size.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
What little was shown of the outside yard and no shots of the street/area/neighborhood it's a no go for me.
Outside looks like a disaster.
It looks like the cosmetics were real good work, but that's what's selling. No infor. on what matters: condition of appliances, plumbing, and wiring, foundation, quality of the windows, roof.

Remember the "housewife of riverfront" who spent hundreds of thousands on a large English Tudor riverfront along a major eastern US river but the entire foundation needed mediation and the entire lot was a flood. Her home and upgrades were to a yacht without a bottom hull, on water.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
If you buy this house can you then get a concealed weapons permit? If not, then it is worth about $9,380.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Wink Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Quote:
But it is located in a very hot neighborhood in Chicago, Wicker Park. Only people who make a lot of money can move in and live here. But those people who have been here since the 70s and 80s could afford to live here because they got their houses here cheap back then, and they get long-term resident property tax discount.
I kind of doubt that people who make a lot of money would live in Wicker Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If you buy this house can you then get a concealed weapons permit? If not, then it is worth about $9,380.
No, you'd have to actually live in it to apply for a permit, and then you'd only get one if Sheriff Dart likes you. Oh, and it doesn't hurt your chances if you make a lot of money.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I don't care for it. It's too old and small for my tastes. While I admire older architecture, I don't want to live with old wiring, old plumbing, etc.

I don't like the sloped ceilings in the bedroom, they trigger my claustrophobia. Personally, I'd go for a big new house in the 'burbs. But that's just me.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
I looked at all the Trulia photos and the place looks so drab and sterile to me. The angle of the photos looks like they're are trying to make the rooms appear to be larger than they really are. The exterior is hideous and I see a lot of dollar signs on changing that.

Would I pay $500k for it? Nope. Not even in the best neighborhood in Chicago!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I looked at all the Trulia photos and the place looks so drab and sterile to me. The angle of the photos looks like they're are trying to make the rooms appear to be larger than they really are. The exterior is hideous and I see a lot of dollar signs on changing that.

You really have to know the neighborhood to make that call. $500K will normally not get you a SFH.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You really have to know the neighborhood to make that call. $500K will normally not get you a SFH.
No I don't! I don't like the house at all! It could be free and I wouldn't take it. I spend money on what I like not what I dislike.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think your brother and his Realtor are gonna be pretty peeved at you for screwing up their stats by posting his house listing here.

I think your brother listed at his house at $575,000 in July, lowered the price to $550,000, and it didn't sell. Now it's down to $499,000. Hopefully, that price is closer to market value.

I think that unless your brother has asked your opinion, you should MYOB. I'm betting he didn't ask.

In any event, the house shows beautifully, and the photos are better than many other listings. It's a home that appears to have an awkward floorplan and the Realtor seems to be trying to creatively compensate for that. I think the kitchen and bathroom updates in 2005 were cheap and now look very outdated, which may be one of the reasons for the price drop. I hate the facade, but I suppose that's a matter of personal taste. The home looks fresh and clean.

I'd pay the $500,000 if you finance me. Are you an owner of the house of just your brother?

This house was titled to my dad, now he died. My brother has POA to sell it.

From your postings, it's obvious there is a lot of non real estate related strife between you & your brother. Sounds like the sale of the property has become the focal point of some family problems.

Does the OP have a dog in this fight?

Sounds like it's the brother's home. If so, he can paint and stage it any way he wants.

Well, this could have been my house if I inherited it. My brother is the cause of a lot of family problems. My brother does not own this home. Maybe it's part of the Inheritance Trust that the home should be sold to finance the Trust.

I'll agree with your second statement, though. Sounds like this topic should be moved over to one of the relationship or psychology boards.

Maybe I'll post a thread about my terrible relationship with my brother.

I can't comment on the price since I don't know the area. Assumably your brother's Realtor did a market analysis and that will justify the $499k asking price.
I think the kitchen was remodeled with new appliances and cabinets winter 2004 for $30,000 total. Not a cheap remodeling. Not ultra high end appliances, but they are top end. Like the fridge has a cold water and ice outlet.

This post actually got some people to look at the house.

I shouldn't MYOB because this would have been my house if I inherited it. My brother bitched out my mom in Sept 2010 to have it sold as part of his inheritance. How greedy as had already had a $250,000? house, $120,000+ a year salary, two SUVs, a Tundra, wife, and 3 kids. Yeah, but he was wondering what'd he'd get as his inheritance. The terrible thing was that he & my mom never warned me that I wouldn't inherit this house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I only looked at the Trulia link and, to be honest, didn't look that closely, but my very fast impressions were 1) I wouldn't call it a starter home (even if that is what it is) and 2) the public record seems to conflict with the property details.
Maybe the public record wasn't updated after each remodeling throughout the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I actually came across that house the other day. I didn't care for the kitchen, thought the bedrooms were too small (in part due to the angled ceiling), and didn't care for the backyard (even though getting one at all isn't that common), but overall I thought it was a charming house. The ad didn't speak to me, but it wasn't horrible. I could care less about what the garage offers, but it is neat that you can do your own work there. Also, it was a good idea to remove the bars from the windows imo.
I admit the top bedrooms now appear small because my brother put a barrier to separate and make two rooms. The angeld ceiling actually doesn't cut off too much area and cause claustrophobia, it just looks bad in pics. I've seen worse houses where the angled ceiling cuts into much of the interior space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The ad manages to make a small house look spacious. It is clean and the color will match any furniture.

OP, if the house used to be painted in typical Filipino style, you brother did the right thing to repaint. I speak from experience!

I had the same problems with my siblings when I sold my parents house. They thoughtit was perfect as it was and worth a lot if $$. I knew the kitchen would be gutted as it was remodeled in 1972-it was. They also moved bedroom walls around and repainted inside & out. I also had to drop the price from $195K to $185K to get an offer. They were convinced it was worth $225K. It wasn't.

People who are emotionally attached to a house can't make good judgments about it.
Yeah, I am attached to the house because I grew up in it since 1976. Many memories! It's sentimental!

I will post pics of the paint color, but it was not painted Filipino style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I live about 20 minutes away. At $499K it is a steal. It is in a beautiful area, and would be one of the cheapest houses on the block, if not the cheapest, which is a selling point (people like to live in an area that includes houses they can't afford). The rehabber made up for a drab looking exterior by doing a nice (but not smashing) job on the interior. While I'd regard it as a "condo alternative" and not a true family home, I would pay $499K for it if I needed a property of that size.
Actually, if you could go give it a visit inside, it will seem big enough to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
What little was shown of the outside yard and no shots of the street/area/neighborhood it's a no go for me.
Outside looks like a disaster.
It looks like the cosmetics were real good work, but that's what's selling. No infor. on what matters: condition of appliances, plumbing, and wiring, foundation, quality of the windows, roof.

Remember the "housewife of riverfront" who spent hundreds of thousands on a large English Tudor riverfront along a major eastern US river but the entire foundation needed mediation and the entire lot was a flood. Her home and upgrades were to a yacht without a bottom hull, on water.
I'll post good pics. Will show the outside neighborhood. It's NOT COSMETICS! This house was fully remodeled with new apliances, wiring, plumbing, roof, and HVAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I kind of doubt that people who make a lot of money would live in Wicker Park.

The new neighbors who moved in were rich snobs that didn't talk to me. Yeah, they drove their BMWs and were snobs. Bicycling around the Wicker Park area you would see expensive cars parked in front of houses, too - BMWs, Porsche, SUVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't care for it. It's too old and small for my tastes. While I admire older architecture, I don't want to live with old wiring, old plumbing, etc.

I don't like the sloped ceilings in the bedroom, they trigger my claustrophobia. Personally, I'd go for a big new house in the 'burbs. But that's just me.
See the remodeling pics... No old wiring or plumbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Last edited by JTE1969; 11-15-2014 at 11:28 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think the kitchen was remodeled with new appliances and cabinets winter 2004 for $30,000 total. Not a cheap remodeling. Not ultra high end appliances, but they are top end. Like the fridge has a cold water and ice outlet.

I shouldn't MYOB because this would have been my house if I inherited it. My brother bitched out my mom in Sept 2010 to have it sold as part of his inheritance. How greedy as had already had a $250,000? house, $120,000+ a year salary, two SUVs, a Tundra, wife, and 3 kids. Yeah, but he was wondering what'd he'd get as his inheritance. The terrible thing was that he & my mom never warned me that I wouldn't inherit this house.

Yeah, I am attached to the house because I grew up in it since 1976. Many memories! It's sentimental!

Hate to break it to you, but cold water and an ice dispenser don't make for a "top end" fridge. It's pretty common. And $30K isn't much for a kitchen remodel especially when you factor in appliances, plumbing, electric, sheetrocking, framing, painting, new cabinets, hardware....it all adds up quickly.

You should mind your business! It's not your house. You're very bitter over the deal your mom made with your brother. Suck it up buttercup! There's nothing you can do about it. And it's not your house! It doesn't matter if your brother makes 50 mil a year, drives 52 Ferraris, had a diamond coated toilet seat, or if he wipes his hands on 14K gold towels.....it's his house! Move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate